[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - What music do you listen to? (was animation rarities)

What music do you listen to? (was animation rarities)

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Postby cmoon » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:25 am

"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby Jiminy » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:46 am

Jiminy

Tezuka Expert

Postby cmoon » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:39 pm

cmoon

Postby Kevin » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:34 pm

I like peruvian music.

^_^
Kevin

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby cmoon » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:04 pm

To me the whole NZ sound that sprung out of bands like The Clean (and I assume characterize a lot of the early flying nun catalog) is one of those scenes that never got the break it should have deserved. Although there's a lot of really weird, outsider stuff, the vast majority of it seems a sort of rugged noisy take on the post-punk sound (think Wire, Joy division, even a tiny bit of bauhaus (though only a couple songs); with the majority of the influence predating that--all the way back to the Velvet Underground (heavy John Cale influence) and noisy things to follow like the first two albums by The Stooges and what not. There was some parallel of this in Australia as well but I'm not going to pretend like I'm any kind of expert on that. Anyway, a lot of the NZ stuff rocked in style, while often grittier and more punch than what was going on in new wave and what not elsewhere. The thing about the NZ bands is that to my ears, they were evolving in another direction as a lot of the other music scenes such that by the late 80's, US and Europe have seemingly burned through 3 or 4 genres and moved on to hip hop while NZ is still doing the same thing, but just digging in even further. Some of the music coming out now could have come out back in the 60's--or at least, the language they use still finds its source in the 60's, but the language has evolved (instead of being thrown away for the next fashion change as it has elsewhere.) I suppose some people might call this stagnation, but I really think rock and roll died somewhere before new wave, and haven't really enjoyed where it or popular music has gone since (except for some of the indie/alt stuff--which is pretty much retro anyway), so this is all fine by me.

Hmm, does that clear things up? As far as I'm concerned, the NZ stuff should definitely be in any serious music collector's repertoire, but I'm completely biased.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/syltgu ... B0000057BM

Here's sort of what I was thinking about, though definitely more focus on the FNun pop-sound here.
cmoon

Postby Jiminy » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:14 am

Jiminy

Tezuka Expert

Postby cmoon » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:47 pm

cmoon

Postby Potato » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:06 am

Katara: Sokka, You're a genius!
Aang: Did the definition of genius change in the last 100 years?

Potato

Postby cmoon » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:13 pm

Let's revive this thread, and be more specific (artists, albums, songs, etc.)

Currently its the summer here and time for smooth jazz and latin jazz (well, white guy latin jazz--I'm not cool enough to know better.)

So Sam Getz has been getting a lot of play around here:

some oldies--West Coast Jazz and The Steamer (both mid 50's)
some newer ones--Jazz Samba and of course the Getz/Gilberto album (why doesn't it have a proper name?) (early 60's)

The whole bossa nova thing is pretty addictive but can also get very bad very quickly (almost becoming new age or something...)

And don't talk to me about radio stations Potato, with a my collection of records (>2000) digitized and put on to itunes on shuffle, I've got a better 'station' to listen to than anything else out there (although WFMU out of New York is pretty amazing!) Of course, that more or less means I'm living in the past but WHAT'S WRONG WITH THAT??? :P
cmoon

Postby Potato » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:18 pm

hah cmoon you don't know WHAT you're missing. unless you don't live in Sydney.

also:

Eagle Eye Cherry
Ministry Of Sound
Central Energy
Katara: Sokka, You're a genius!
Aang: Did the definition of genius change in the last 100 years?

Potato

Postby Kevin » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:13 pm

I like livin in the past :D
Kevin

Postby Jiminy » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:55 am

Well its winter here so latin jazz just feels out of place (plus I don't know a whole lot about it. I think my brother has some Sam Getz but I'd had have to bug him to dig it out).

However I just saw the new film on Ian Curtis/Joy Division ("Control"), and that is definitely music for a cold rainy afternoon. It wasn't particularly insightful, but the lead actor was uncannily good so - at least to my eyes - it almost looked like archival concert footage. I really enjoyed it.

And I hardly ever listen to the radio anymore - shuffle all the way! I used to listen to Pandora quite a bit but iTunes has taken over.
Jiminy

Tezuka Expert

Postby cmoon » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:54 pm

cmoon

Postby cmoon » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:00 pm

cmoon

Postby Kevin » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:04 pm

New E-Library! http://thelibrary.ninjanezumi.com/
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin