[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - USA-- Dr WHO 6PM MST - 8PM EST Scifi *contains spoilers*

USA-- Dr WHO 6PM MST - 8PM EST Scifi *contains spoilers*

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Postby Kevin » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:33 pm

Kevin

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby putrocca » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:13 am

I sure wish someone had put a "spoilers" tag on this thread sooner. Some of us aren't current, remember? Please try to be cautious about that in future.
- Ada (site founder - TezukaInEnglish.com)
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby cmoon » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:31 pm

"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby Kevin » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:38 am

Kevin

Postby cmoon » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:31 pm

So why are there no serious box sets for Doctor Who. I know there would be a LOT of discs, but if they can contemplate putting out all of the simpsons, I think they could do Doctor Who--and I think it would be worth it.

Better than going chronologically though, they should start with a box set representing the first season of each doctor (so, about 9 boxes?) If one really doesn't sell well, hold off on that until more popular seasons are represented.

Yes, this means LOTS and LOTS of boxes, but if they start doing them this way, the profit will pay for future releases. It is hard to believe the BBC is really letting the doctor squander like this, especially given how successful the new episodes seem to be.
cmoon

Postby Kevin » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:11 am

Actually I believe all of Tom Baker's can be found in collected boxed editions. Peter Davidson's doctor wasn't that popular but I believe he has a boxed set. The third Doctor Pertwee has a couple of boxed sets..

The first two do not, because the BBC destroyed over half of the episodes when they 'cleaned house' in 73-77 (they actually incinerated a shit load of pre 70s shows).

They've tried repairing and rebuilding some of the earlier episodes, but there are still about 8 actual story arcs from the first two doctors which are too damaged visually to be restored.

For a while they were doing a cartoon adaptation of them, using the original sound and some voice impersonators to fill in the gaps, but then the BBC pulled the plug after only one story arc (about 6 episodes). It's pissed off a lot of fans. the BBC really does suck.
New E-Library! http://thelibrary.ninjanezumi.com/
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby cmoon » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:42 am

cmoon

Postby Kevin » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:17 am

Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby cmoon » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:24 am

I feel like being a jerk and quoting myself and then quoting you. As I said at the beginning, a concerted effort should be made to put all of this stuff in print with season box sets. The examples I gave that existed included the 'key to time' series, and then you gave me a link to the key to time series. Wonderful!

The truth is that not a single of the classic doctor's output can be found on DVD in completion and that's because they aren't taking a serious approach to their reissue.

All those other box set you list are scrawny compared to other reissue sets. The Amazon exclusive box you list for instance is 1) only six stories and 2) collects other things that are out of print.

So here we are then...too much stuff out of print, and in general way too expensive to make Dr. Who accessible (I'm not paying $20/story.) Its too bad when the new seasons are way over-priced and they are still cheaper than the classic material from the 60's - 80's. Sheesh.

Edit: to take this to an even greater level of stupidity, here's a decent episode guide (though no season 2 or 3 of the new series.) Really gives some perspective of how doing this in some organized manner (instead of as a bunch of '1 dvd = 1 story' installments.):
http://nitro9.earth.uni.edu/doctor/FAQ/Faq_2.txt

If you do a bit of averaging, you find that most seasons were ~ 6 stories at 4 episodes each (IE 24 episodes of the 25 minute variety), meaning about 6 episodes could fit on a DVD, meaning about 4 discs per season (fairly modest). There are clearly exceptions--some seasons would be closer to 6 DVDs (still very doable) and others only 3.)

At 26 'classic' seasons, that's still a lot of boxes, so they might be wise to consolidate where possible, and of course, some episodes have apparently been lost. Nonetheless, THIS is the way to approach business instead of the manner they are doing it now which keeps the full thing from getting out and keeps these episodes essentially unaffordable/inaccessible to most.
cmoon

Postby Kevin » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:02 pm

cmoon, I gave you links to more than just the key of time series.

-_-

Yes I agree more Doctor Who sets should be readily available, however, if you look, you can find most of them (at least for Tom Baker) spread out between Region 1 and (it's region 2 for UK right?).

The moral of the story is:

The BBC SUCKS. The Only Doctor I believe to be entirely collected between UK and US is Tom Baker. Email or snail mail BBC to tell them they suck.

-_-

That's all I can say.

Yes, many of us are upset with BBC over this you're not the only one.

BTW I don't like Tom Baker as my favorite, my favorite is Pertwee, and they've yet to collect him together. It's pissed me off to the core it has. So you're not alone ok? :D
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby cmoon » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:27 pm

cmoon

Postby Kevin » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:04 pm

Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin