[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Internet-Obsessed Couple Let Kids Starve

Internet-Obsessed Couple Let Kids Starve

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

60%
No votes
40%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes : 5

Internet-Obsessed Couple Let Kids Starve

Postby Kevin » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:31 am

Kevin

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby Kevin » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:32 am

Kevin

Postby cmoon » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:48 pm

"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby Kevin » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:27 am

yes, but I also ask, are more videogames now designed to force you to sit there forever just to play? It seems to be, I remember growing up with Sega Genesis, and I could play a videogame for 2 hours, and then turn it off. I'd either win the game or die by that time.

But nowdays, any videogame I pick up requires me to sit at the computer fo 8 hours straight just to do 1 simple quest!

Yes, videogames can be addictive, an no, I am not denying child neglect, but I wonder is the situation is made worse by newer videogames!

I am thinking of cancelling my WoW account because it's impossible for me to do anything without sitting at the computer for 2 hours to get a group together to take 4-5 more hours to run a dungeon. I do not think I am addicted :shock: I hope not! But even then, I know I would spend much less time playing this stupid videogame if I didn't have to sit at the computer for HOURS and HOURS just to complete 1 simple dungeon.

There are no save spots either.

I think also that videogame programmers make games longer and cause more problems for people like me who don't always care to sit down for forever just to play a simple stupid game to have fun.

These parents though, they are not parents, they are horrible people.

I cannot stand child abuse. It makes me so angry. If I had the Force I'd go over to the darkside from killing these people.

Makes me so angry...

...and so very sad :(
Kevin

Postby cmoon » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:47 am

Personally I think your blame is wrongly pointed at video games. You are right in stating that many of us grew up on video games which were essentially arcade style and were essentially short and skill-based, but RPGs actually preceded all but the earliest video games (mid 70's?) and these were as much time sinks as any video game today. The real difference as that RPGs involved multiple people, but even by the early 80's there were computer RPGs which might take dozens of hours to finish (Wizardry anyone? Ultima?)

I'm not ready to condemn the whole video game industry, nor do I think the 'time-sink' style of gameplay is particularly new (its certainly as old as the first consoles/home computers).

And then there's the whole issue of whether those kinds of games are to blame at all. Online worlds/rpgs etc. are clearly the most addictive (I had to quit this business in the mid-90's) because I found them too addictive, but that's what free choice is about.

If parents are bad enough to forget their kids for video games, they're clearly bad parents. I wouldn't blame video games for this.
cmoon

Postby Potato » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:51 am

:shock: I'm scared now.
Katara: Sokka, You're a genius!
Aang: Did the definition of genius change in the last 100 years?

Potato

Postby Kevin » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:37 am

oh I am not blaming videogames for what these people did.

But I also think the industry has changed so much.

It is not just RPGs that become time sinks. Have you tried to play any of the new sonic games? It takes me forever to play them!

omg I do not like what videogames have become :(

I also do not like the mentality of addiction that is so easy to develop and left unchecked as it is, it is ruining lives.

PEOPLE MUST TAKE CONTROL OF THEIR LIVES!
Kevin

Postby putrocca » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:36 am

Yes, videogames are in many ways the easiest "nerd" activity to fall into and wind up wasting lots of time. Watching or reading things, even tabletop gaming, can't eat as much time because they're much more finite, while videogames are designed to take as much time to play as possible. I like them, but I have two dear friends whom I have watched degenerate since they got married so now it's impossible to talk to them for 10 minutes without them wanting to tell you about the latest videogame they're playing. Now with me it would be 10 minutes before I wanted to tell you about the latest Tezuka manga, but at least I would let the topic move on afterwards. It's a tricky thing; the important thing, I think, is if you have friends that that seems to be happening to, to keep inviting them to other activities.
- Ada (site founder - TezukaInEnglish.com)
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby Potato » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:35 am

Potato

Postby cmoon » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:42 am

cmoon

Postby Potato » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:36 pm

Potato

Postby Kevin » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:29 pm

Kevin

Postby cmoon » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:04 pm

cmoon

Postby strobe_z » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:48 pm

strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby putrocca » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:14 pm

- Ada (site founder - TezukaInEnglish.com)
putrocca

Site Founder

Next

Return to Offtopic