[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Official video game thread

Official video game thread

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Official video game thread

Postby cmoon » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:47 pm

Post/discuss what you are playing here! (or else suffer the wrath :?: )

Currently dusted off my Saturn and been playing Strikers 1945 (the original):

http://arcade.svatopluk.com/strikers_1945/

That and of course the mandatory bouts of God Hand on the PS2... yes.
"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby Ash » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:55 pm

God Hand is awesome.

Hmm. This week I've been playing a bit of Tales of Phantasia (GBA port) and Super Robot Taisen Original Generation (GBA). Tales of Phantasia was the first in the "Tales of..." series. Not as good as Tales of Symphonia, but entertaining. Super Robot Taisen is a famous Banpresto series, a SRPG with loads of mecha, hotblooded pilots and screaming of attack names. Daaaaaarkness Slaaaaash!

And sometimes I dust of my save for Xenosaga II. I have the bad tendency to stop playing games when I am near the end >.> (Still haven't finished Chrono Trigger, with a near-end save for 5, 6 years?)
"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth" - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God
Ash

Tezuka Nut

Postby Jiminy » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:03 pm

I'm still making my way through Okami, but I have God Hand lined up after that.

I tend to get distracted by short arcade-y games though. At the moment its Vib-Ribbon. Anyone remember that? It's an old PS1 rhythm game with super lo-tech graphics, but the key is that it will play any music CD you want, with the difficulty varying dependent on the complexity of the song. I usually dust it off whenever I get a new CD with a good strong beat.
Jiminy

Tezuka Expert

Postby cmoon » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:28 pm

In a way, this issue of short, arcade style games has come up before, and I certainly have more love for them than the games that require dozens of hours to beat, so I think that makes at least 3 of us here that feel that way. The game I listed first, Strikers 1945, of course can't be more than 40 minutes long or so (not that I can get to the end, so the game is much shorter for me...)

As far as Okami and God Hand--these two couldn't be more different. I think almost anyone who's played Okami loved it, but at least for me, that love really wore off. The game is just too long and after a while the creativity wears off.

God hand on the other hand (har har) is a arcade/skill style brawler. For some reason this didn't get the high marks it should of perhaps because of the difficulty or because people didn't penetrate the deep gameplay.
cmoon

Postby Jiminy » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:21 am

Games don't come much more pure than shooters, and I like the vertically-scrolling kind the most because of their association with my formative years, handfuls of silver coins and derelict arcade cabinets. Raiden II taught me that lasers are blue, bullets are red and electricity is purple, and I've never forgotten it.

You're right about the length of Okami; I'm having trouble mustering the willpower to finish it. But if there's one thing that I won't let defeat me, it's a wolf with the power of calligraphy.
Jiminy

Tezuka Expert

Postby cmoon » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:11 pm

Yup, for me the early-mid 90's were about 2D fighteres, then my interest turned over to those vertically scrolling 2D shooters. I still have one TV committed completely to that genre of games (since it needs to be turned sideways). that whole comment about purity is true. While so many other games get bogged down in one thing or another, shooters go right back to skill/reflex making them one of the few styles of video games that hasn't really changed much.

cmoon

Postby Jiminy » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:09 pm

Jiminy

Tezuka Expert

Postby cmoon » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:07 pm

cmoon

Postby cmoon » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:58 pm

cmoon

Postby Rukawagf » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:15 pm