[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Official video game thread

Official video game thread

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Postby UnluckyLukeGR » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:09 pm

I played Brawl online at a friend's house last Sunday, and the lag was horrible. And the person we were playing with was in Colorado, and I'm in California, which isn't that far away.

Speaking of games with Snake, I finally played through the first Metal Gear Solid. While the graphics are really dated, it was still a blast, and makes me wish I had a PS2 and a PS3 so I could play the other games in the series.
UnluckyLukeGR

Tezuka Nut

Postby Ash » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:24 pm

Ha, I've been playing on and off with The Twin Snakes these last weeks, the GameCube remake of the original MGS. Still a great game, with better visuals :3

Haven't played MGS2, but MGS3 was great! The jungle setting really added to the game. One of the best boss fights in gaming history has to be the sniperfight against The End. It took me over 2 hours. 2 wonderful hours XD

Oh, is somebody going to pick up the DS remake of classic Chrono Trigger announced today? :D I actually have played this game on the SNES, but never finished it. My save, probably almost 4 years old now, is right before the final boss. I just never actually went to battle with him ^_~''

But it's one of the greatest games ever, so I'll be sure to buy the remake ^_^ (US release is in the holiday season)
"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth" - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God
Ash

Tezuka Nut

Postby UnluckyLukeGR » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:30 pm

Chrono Trigger's my favorite RPG. I've only beaten it once, so I'll probably get the remake/port/whatever and play it again. I got to near the end of disc one of Chrono Cross, but my save file got messed up.
UnluckyLukeGR

Tezuka Nut

Postby cmoon » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:39 am

"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby cmoon » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:39 am

cmoon

Postby Kevin » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:01 am

New E-Library! http://thelibrary.ninjanezumi.com/
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby Tetsuwan » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:42 pm

Speaking of old school rpg's, I just got one of the greatest ones of them all. Phantasy Star for the Sega Master System. I own a Sega CD/Genesis Model 1, along with a 32x and Powerbase attachment. When I first bought the Powerbase one of the first games I thought of buying was Phantasy Star (along with Sonic 1 and 2 for the master system).

Since this game is highly praised and is hard to come by, like the first Final Fantasy for the NES (which I also owned but sold in order to buy my Sega CD) it can't be bought cheap. But, thanks to Ebay I picked up my copy for a little over $12 (that's with shipping).

The battery still works and the graphics are amazing (compared to the other games that came out at that time). The only flaw I see is in save slot #4, which can't be deleted. Also, when I bring up the save menu the area around the save slot's box is a little pixelated.

The dungeons are done beautifully in first person view. Which means as you navigate, the walls of the dungeon surround you creating a 3D effect. The characters, and game art are beautiful. The battles have you select a action for each character then watch as the moves are preformed on the enemy (my only gripe is you can't control who you want to attack).

The next game I want to pick up is Knuckles Chaotix for my Sega 32X add-on.
Tetsuwan

Tezuka Nut

Postby cmoon » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:07 am

Not to be a non-purist, but both games are available in compilation packs on the ps1/ps2.
cmoon

Postby Tetsuwan » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:45 am

Tetsuwan

Tezuka Nut

Postby Ash » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:49 pm

E3.... still nothing of interest for me. Maybe it will be like last year, where all the cool news was made public at Leipzig ^_~

Finally got a PSX memory card, so I'm thinking about beginning with Final Fantasy VII.

Thinking, 'cause I fear it's gonna take a lot of time to finish it :P
"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth" - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God
Ash

Tezuka Nut

Postby Ash » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:59 pm

Picked up Dragon Quest IV: the Chapters of the Chosen for the DS. Will mostly be played in trains, as I have to go to Leiden (university) everyday now (2 hours for a two-way trip).

Haven't even finished DQVIII yet ~_~'
Ash

Tezuka Nut

Postby cmoon » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:11 pm

Is Dragon Quest IV out now? I'll need to pick it up.

Yes, DQ 8 is such a great game! Though it is huge!!!
cmoon

Postby Ash » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:48 am

Ash

Tezuka Nut

Postby cmoon » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:41 pm

I picked up DQ 4 over the weekend, and it is amazing stuff! I never played the NES games, but I put in a huge chunk of time on DQ 7, so this was a very easy transition. There is something about the way DQ tells stories and their presentation that has always made me appreciate the titles well above its sister series, Final Fantasy; and DQ 4 is no exception. At first the idea of multiple chapters where you are forced to play only one of the characters seemed rather off-putting, but once I saw how these all serviced the story I found myself really appreciated the creative approach Enix had to the game.

It also seems to be perfectly at home on the DS. Although I'd rather see all these games playable on a home console (IE the PS2 would be just fine for me), the DS feels very natural--which is good since we have three MORE DQ games coming out on the DS.

I also picked up Yakuza 2 for the PS2. This series is in general not well understood in the US since it is almost more a yakuza life-style simulator with occasional action sequences. If you like the idea of endlessly poking around little stores, working on your golf swing or eating huge meals, yes, Yakuza 2 might be for you!
cmoon

Postby cmoon » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:14 pm

cmoon

PreviousNext

Return to Offtopic