[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Of endings involving good and evil

Of endings involving good and evil

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

What kind(s) of endings do you enjoy? (see below for full description)

I only enjoy the 'standard good ending'
9%
I also enjoy the 'bitter sweet ending'
64%
I also enjoy the 'evil triumphs ending'
27%

Total votes : 11

Of endings involving good and evil

Postby cmoon » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:55 am

This is a strange poll. I will first explain WHAT I mean, and then WHY. First off I am talking about any kind of story (book, comic, movie) that involves a 'classic' confrontation between good and evil.

The 'standard good ending', means that the main characters do not die, and good triumphs over evil.

The 'bitter-sweet ending' involves main character(s) dying, but good still triumphs over evil.

The rare 'evil triumphs ending' where the hero(s) are defeated.

Each choice would include the choices above it. If that doesn't apply to you (you don't like endings where the hero wins), say so!

As to the why, I have found that there is a large divide along these fronts, where some people consider the 'evil triumphs' ending, or even the 'bitter-sweet' ending to be wastes of time. Some feel the world is evil enough to have a story where good does not triumph.

Specifically, I was re-watching the Twin Peaks series again, and coming to terms with the fact that I actually like the ending. It doesn't mean I enjoy seeing evil triumph over good, but feel that sometimes it is appropriate in story telling. Also, in the Italian western 'The Great Silence', evil triumphs over good, and this only seems to exemplify the the nature of the hero who may have to fight the good fight, even when victory is impossible.

In the case of 'The Great Silence', this downer ending was censored by some countries and an alternate ending had to be created. For Twin Peaks, many consider the ending to be nothing more than the directors screwing around because they knew it had been canceled. Why do I still feel passionate about it then?

I have heard from some that even the bitter-sweet ending of Leo is thought a bad ending (and in Onward Leo!, all the deaths are reversed.)

This strong opposition toward 'downer' endings (it is striking when you watch such a film with a friend and see strong reactions such as "that ending was wrong!") has made me curious enough to make a poll.

Of the movies that involve good versus evil, what kind of endings are you capable of enjoying. Or even, which endings would you absolutely reject and consider a waste of your time?

P.S. I also think there's a whole other issue about moral ambiguity, and one that Tezuka seems to employ quite often, but for simplicities sake, I want to skip that for now.
"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby Kevin » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:49 am

Entirely depends on the subject matter.

Sometimes the good guys are loathesome and I wanna see them die.

Other times, such as a certain recent book, I find that standard british formula of killing off nearly all the good guys and then the semi-good guys just to prevent them from facing the consequences of their actions is a total rape of litarary intent, and a breech of contract with the reader.

I'm fed up with that crap and anyone who writes like that needs to be blacklisted.
Kevin

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby cmoon » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:13 am

cmoon

Postby Kevin » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:29 am

Kevin

Postby cmoon » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:30 am

cmoon

Postby Potato » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:29 am

Katara: Sokka, You're a genius!
Aang: Did the definition of genius change in the last 100 years?

Potato

Postby Ataru Moroboshi » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:53 pm

Ataru Moroboshi

Tezuka Nut

Postby cmoon » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:25 pm

cmoon

Postby Kevin » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:57 pm

Kevin

Postby putrocca » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:00 pm

- Ada (site founder - TezukaInEnglish.com)
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby Jiminy » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:45 pm

Jiminy

Tezuka Expert

Postby cmoon » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:09 am

cmoon

Postby Rukawagf » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:30 am

Rukawagf

Tezuka Nut

Postby Kevin » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:01 am

Kevin

Postby Karmi-Sempai » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:00 am

It'll be so crappy with all that trite around. That's why I like the sound of Black Jack 21 better as the endings aren't always a happy one. People actually die unlike in the Black Jack TV series.
I'm not special. I'm just not like you!
Karmi-Sempai

Tezuka Nut

Next

Return to Offtopic