[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - How some people view the English Language

How some people view the English Language

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

How some people view the English Language

Postby Kevin » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:36 am

New E-Library! http://thelibrary.ninjanezumi.com/
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby Ash » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:24 am

Actually, I took both Latin and German too for 6 years (and I speak Dutch, which for sure is a Germanic language) and while English might use quite a bit of Latin words, the structure, types of words and pronouncations are a lot more similar to German (though German is more similar to Latin than English to Latin, IMHO...).

Though I think my Classical Languages teacher once told me that the Latinic and Germanic languages are both branches of the Indo-European language, so there should always be some similarities...
"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth" - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God
Ash

Tezuka Nut

Postby Kevin » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:11 am

but, the indefinite article structure is pure latin, not german. Also german has the mega compound word components, that's something that is frisian and not latin. English does not have this.

^_^

I'm not saying German didn't have it's influences, 12% of the spoken english language is from Gothic and Frisian origins, but over 50% of the words we use are latin, we use Latin indefinite articles structures, we use the prefix/suffix structures (which were completely absent from Gothic - and while german did assume prefix/suffix structures, it absorbed it from latin) and the only main difference between english and latin that I've seen is the noun verb flip.

^_^
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Ash » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:12 am

You're absolutely right on the suffix/prefix point. But I still see it as an imported structure and not as a pure English structure.

While I'm perfectly willing to believe your numbers for the origin of words, I think it's pretty clear that in common speech, most of the words we use in English are from Germanic origin. In Dutch you can choose to use Latin words too, but you won't use them as often as Germanic words. In English it's more common to use Latin-based words, but I would still wager that most of the words in common speech are Germanic based.

And I'm not very used to English vocabulary for languages, so correct me if I'm wrong, but an indefinite article is 'a' (a tree) right? Latin doesn't use indefinite articles, only 'pointing articles' (hic/here, ipse/self etc.).

The influence of Latin on the modern English is big, that's for sure. But the roots of modern English are still in Germanic language, as far as I think.
"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth" - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God
Ash

Tezuka Nut

Postby cmoon » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:22 am

I thought both German and English had Latin as their root ???

I've also heard of English as a Germanic language--but am not going to pretend I'm any kind of expert on this. If someone just asked me to gues I would have assumed something like 'ancient latin' -> 'ancient root of germanic languages' and a split with something leading to modern English and something leading to modern German.

Edit: as an aside, this should be paired up with historical/geographic data of the movement of people. There's no way this should simply be a linguistic debate, since the descent of languages should follow the movement of people.
"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby Kevin » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:08 pm

Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby cmoon » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:26 pm

cmoon

Postby Kevin » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:00 am

Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby cmoon » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:09 am

cmoon

Postby Kevin » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:29 am

Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby putrocca » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:38 am

- Ada (site founder - TezukaInEnglish.com)
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby strobe_z » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:56 pm

strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby Huscheli » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:16 pm

Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Postby Kevin » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:22 pm

Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin