[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Great Language Debate (was: Princess Knight Spaniard ending)

Great Language Debate (was: Princess Knight Spaniard ending)

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Great Language Debate (was: Princess Knight Spaniard ending)

Postby Ataru Moroboshi » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:34 pm

See this and... React?

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=isiDha8zPXU

I told you about that before, do ya remember? Now, this screams eighties! I just love it!

The lyrics, translated are:

"Choppy and the princess/
are good pals/
Choppy defends her/
from her enemies/
you're the princess/
this is your castle/
little Choppy/
is always with you

The duke doesn't want her/
he's her foe/
because he suspects/
she's not a boy

It's an angel/
Choppy's your devoted friend/
his powers against evil/

It's an angel/
who came from heaven/
Choppy will protect you

It's an angel/
You're his princess/
his powers against evil

It's an angel/
Choppy's your devoted friend/
he'll never give you up"

[And from here to the and the same lyrics, changing the order again and again. This was intended as the ending of the Catalan (my mother tongue) speaking version (to be aired in Catalan local networks), but it eventaully got to be the ending for the Spanish language version as well. The girls are jokingly called "The Choppettes" by some fans].

Bon Nadal i feliç any nou per a tots vosaltres! [this is the Catalan to "Marry Xmas and happy new year for all of you!" Be happy, guys!]
Ataru Moroboshi

Tezuka Nut

Postby Jeffbert » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:07 am

Jeffbert

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby Ataru Moroboshi » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:38 pm

Ataru Moroboshi

Tezuka Nut

Postby Jeffbert » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:30 am

Jeffbert

Postby Kevin » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:39 am

New E-Library! http://thelibrary.ninjanezumi.com/
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Potato » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:40 am

Katara: Sokka, You're a genius!
Aang: Did the definition of genius change in the last 100 years?

Potato

Postby Kevin » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:44 am

Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Potato » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:47 am

Katara: Sokka, You're a genius!
Aang: Did the definition of genius change in the last 100 years?

Potato

Postby Ataru Moroboshi » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:14 pm

Ataru Moroboshi

Tezuka Nut

Postby Kevin » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:36 am

Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Ataru Moroboshi » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:17 pm

Ataru Moroboshi

Tezuka Nut

Postby Kevin » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:29 pm

It's an issue that britain refuses to deal with. It's still political. One of my favorite pasttimes is to bait someone from Britain who's being a punk, and then do a word count of their posts, list to them the grammar they're using, as well as the suffixes/prefixes then give them a % readout of what language they're really speaking.

One of the last few times I've done it I had a person screaming saying, it doesn't amtter what words we're using but that we got them from germany. LOL

My favorite time was when a gal said to me: German is the foundation of the English Language.

The words: German, Foundation, English and Language are all latin in origin. lol

is came from latin but was corrupted through gothic (not german), the origin of "of" is ab (which is latin) but it was corrutped by Old English (not germans), "the" is Old English Middle English, some believe it was further corruption of latin's use of prefix the- or similar to denote importance but the connection is weak leaving "the" as a creation almost entirely unto old/middle english.
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Deda » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:15 am

Actually when I took History of the English Language... it was explained to me that the "family" of the language was saxon/scandinavian (being scandinavian belonging to the German stump) with 75% of latin lexicon... they talk about "ceppo" which is roughly translated in stump.
for example that was told to me to explain why all the pronouns were he/she/it and were borrowed by scandinavian... the base of the language is Saxon then some words were borrowed by invaders and neighbours (the vikings, the frisons, and many more... then from the Normands from the year 1091)... for example the original word for sky was heofon... but then when the first Christians arrived that word started to be used as synonim to paradise (being paradise the latin word for Heaven - since in Latin languages paradise and sky are interchangeable).... so they started using Heaven and paradis but had no word anymor just for the sky... so they borrowed sky from scandinavian language... and actually all the words with a K in it come from scandinavian.

We studying history of the languages, semiology and other stuff like that about my own language I was told that Italian is the longobard version of latin, French is the Franc version of latin and Spanish is the Visigoth version of latin. So these 3 languages were transformed when the Barbarian Kings established the Barbarian kingdoms after the Roman empire disintegrated (due to fiscal problems!XD)....

in UK what happened was that the waves of invasions arrived from the north and kept coming from the same kinds of population... till 1091 brought the first Types of French language on the land, which was the official language spoken by nobles until well roughly 1300 more or less)... with Willelm the Conqueror. Still the populace would keep speaking the mix of saxon and other languages and if you read Ivanhoe is funny to read a darn truth that wamba tells at the beginning that the difference between pork and swine is that pork is raised and swine is eaten... and the poor would not eat pork LOL

in the 1300 the first big wovel shift took place... becase up until that moment all the words were read as they were written.... so good was read as the previous U sound and some words were stangely affected since good became good and blood remained blood!

in 1500 Italian was the most spoken language in the world like today it happened with English. All the books were written in that language and so to write books about medicines and be credible they had to write them in Italian... that's how many italian words entered the English language...
so the lexicon grew and 75% of it is formed by french and italian word with a minority of latin (original latin brought by the Christian monks rather than by the Roman soldiers).

when one go and sees the structure of Latin languages they are very different from the English one. English has kept the genitive with 's as a casus but... the other languages that derivate from latin use different forms for genitive, not to mention that the agglutination is limited and the genuses are gone.
German has more of a latin structure for genus and casus as English does... but when one studies by families because of the structure of the sentence (we can put the subject at the end of the sentece or avoid due to declination, that's a latin form).... English is usually put together with the German family because of its scandinavian/frison roots (languages that belong to the German stump)..... also because it is a syntetic language....
if you try and traslate some thing from English to Italian you would need many more words... except when it comes down to nominatif sentences becase we have declination and therefore the subject can be unspoken but understood.

aside from the propaganda... latin languages have more rules to learn when you study them and a more complex structure and form. Italian is particularly annoying, if I may say so, because we have dozens of tenses and the declinations are pain in the butts.
When one goes from Italian to study german there a great understanding of genus and casus and declination in that language by they act in a different way... that's where the german really kicks in and the latin ends and you understand uh'oh that some things you have to learn them by heart, at first, then learn how to understand them later... other things you learn because they "sound" correct that way and everyboyd says it like that.... (you cannot use this faculty of going by sounds in Italian since most Italian have great problems with conjugations of tenses, declinations and such... so they speak dialects! where all the tenses are messed up!)

when I first studied English I realized it was a language... "outside" the family... latin lexicon or not... I picked up French in 4 weeks and spanish in 4 (although I still mix lots of Italian in it and have problems writing it)... it took me longer to pick up English... it had fewer rules but some of them were "odd" and still right now I cannot tell the difference tecnically speaking between present perfect and present perfect continuous... I still know by ear when I should use on or the other because it feels better in the sentence.
Deda

Tezuka Nut

Postby Huscheli » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:02 am

Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Postby Deda » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:34 pm

Deda

Tezuka Nut

Next

Return to Offtopic