[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Japan Cat Network

Japan Cat Network

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Japan Cat Network

Postby David » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:20 am

hi guys, I posted some info on the topic of animal welfare in Japan before but we just hit the national press in Japan so thought I'd include a link.,

David
David

Postby Kevin » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:37 am

That is amazing ^_^
New E-Library! http://thelibrary.ninjanezumi.com/
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby cmoon » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:37 am

So are you currently housing 50 cats?

I used to be part of a wildlife rescue league, and of course, it is ultimately housing that becomes the problem (and time...)
"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby David » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:15 pm

yes - about 50. Our goal is more to reduce the number of births than to provide shelter. However, with virtually no shelters in the entire country, no national animal welfare organization, weak laws and weaker enforcement, and irresponsible pet owners, you just can't ignore a box of kittens that someone has put into the trash. A few years of that and they start to add up.
David
http://www.japancatnet.com/
David

Postby cmoon » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:05 pm

You need a modern day Tezuka to write to the Japanese-everyman and try to create a culture shift in attitude toward cats.

Are you paying for all these spays/neuters out of your own pocket? donations? Or a combination of both?

Either way, keeping 50 cats on hand must be a massive undertaking. I've found after 3 they start taking over.

Good luck!

Edit: Do people you speak with in Japan 'come around', or do they see what you are doing as silly?
"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby David » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:39 am

I have helped quite a few people to catch cats in their own neighborhoods, for the purpose of spay/neuter. Basically we hope they will pay the costs themselves but we ourselves have paid for around 200 spays and neuters. There is an enormous contrast on this issue between Japan and the other countries in their budget bracket. We have mostly received less helpful reactions from the public.

Just this last week a Canadian couple contacted me a half a dozen train stops away. We caught the feral cat they were concerned about. She had been suffering from FIV-AIDS, with mouth ulcers, anemia and malnutrition. We hoped to spay her but she was too sick to even survive the operation. We had her euthanized instead. Of course the town she came from has an active stray cat population rife with AIDS. People don't think about that part. Because of what we have done there is no cat AIDS in our town.

David
David

Postby Jiminy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:01 am

That's amazing David. I had no idea you were doing this on such a scale!
San Dimas High School football rules!
Jiminy

Tezuka Expert

Postby Kevin » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:49 am

New E-Library! http://thelibrary.ninjanezumi.com/
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Jiminy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:16 am

San Dimas High School football rules!
Jiminy

Tezuka Expert

Postby Kuririn » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:13 am

Last edited by Kuririn on Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kuririn

Tezuka Nut

Postby David » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:30 am

David

Postby Princess Sapphire » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:44 am

Osamu Tezuka is Japan's greatest story teller
Princess Sapphire

Tezuka Veteran

Postby Potato » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:49 am

Katara: Sokka, You're a genius!
Aang: Did the definition of genius change in the last 100 years?

Potato

Postby David » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:00 am

David

dolphin hunt in Taiji

Postby David » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:27 am

I wanted to alert peope who were interested in this sort of thing about the annual dolphin hunt currently going on in Taiji, Japan.
http://www.savejapandolphins.org/

Nearly a thousand or more are killed every year for food. It is a supressed story in Japan. I have never talked to a Japanese person who knew about it yet the Japanese officals who represent the story use the adage that "It is an old part of our culture which should be preserved."

David
David

Next

Return to Offtopic