[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Classic manga or anime (in translation)

Classic manga or anime (in translation)

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Classic manga or anime (in translation)

Postby pomocho » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:49 am

pomocho

Tezuka reader

Postby cmoon » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:05 am

I'm sure you've already mentioned it, but there was a superb re-release of Phoenix 2772 with Japanese subtitles, complete, unedited, etc.

While you were away they finally put out an original language + sub version of Nausicaa (which really would be a revelation if you've been buried underground for 10+ years.) That, and everything by Miyazaki is availble now (you probably know.)

Recently saw the DVD set of the Giant Robo OAV. Nothing great but it is something you might have had to sutffer through as dub back in the 90's but can now be watched original language + subs.

I think it is pretty old now, but there's a pretty stellar dvd of Night on the Galactic Railroad, and someone snuck out a dvd of Arcadia of My Youth (though you won't find either in stores anymore.) The new Phoenix mini-series is out on DVD (I have mixed thoughts about these) and apparently madman has reissued the Tezuka shorts with english subs (versus the Japanese version w/out subs that many of us dropped our money on.)

I probably don't follow as much anime & manga as I should, so that's about as helpful as I'm going to be able to be.

And two questions from me:
1) Where the hell is the original animated movie/series Galaxy Express 999? It has apparently never been on DVD even though it is considered legendary.

2) All of the Galaxy Railways series is currently available for cheap on DVD (6 discs for $30 or something.) Any thoughts?

Edit: scoped Amazon. Arcadia of my youth is now rare/out of print fetching over $80. Should have picked a couple up on DVD when it came out. Also noted that apparently Galaxy Express 999 is available from Korea region 3. Wonder what the quality of the sub is on that?
"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby strobe_z » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:41 pm

<rifles through loot on hotel room floor>

I just happen to have picked up Galaxy Express 999 and Adieu Galaxy Express 999 in Korea last week. I haven't been able to watch it yet because of a combination of having no time, being exhausted, and my Nazi MacBook won't accept Region 3 DVD's.

They both have English subs (and Korean ones for that matter), and I'm pretty sure the quality is all you could ask for, but I'll let you know for sure soon...
Image - All Life Is Sacred

Follow TezukaInEnglish on and
strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby cmoon » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:46 pm

Thanks Strobe! I'm counting on you!
"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby Ash » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:32 pm

One of the better series I read this year is The Drifting Classroom, a 1970's manga by the father of horror manga, Umezu Kazuo. In the US it's released by Viz, it was recently finished (@ 11 volumes).

It follows the adventures of the students of the Yamato Elementary School, which for unknown reasons is sent to a wasteland. Kids start to panic. Teachers start to panic. Teachers start to kill each other. Kids start to kill each other. Food hoarding.

CRUCIFYING KIDS FOR RAIN.

It's that awesome. For pics and text, see the excellent blog .
"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth" - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God
Ash

Tezuka Nut

Postby UnluckyLukeGR » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:41 pm

I love The Drifting Classroom. So crazy, but so awesome. Kazuo Umezu is my hero.

I personally liked the scene with the flood the most.

Let's see... well, DMP recently published the original Speed Racer manga, but I haven't had a chance to buy it yet.

Drawn and Quarterly's releases of Yoshihiro Tatsumi's stories are great. The third will be released this year, along with another classic manga, Red Colored Elegy.

If you're looking for underground and strange classic manga, don't miss PictureBox's releases. In June, Monster Men Bureiko Lullaby will be released, which is about the adventures of a mutated sperm cell.

I'm sure there are more classics that aren't coming to mind, though.
UnluckyLukeGR

Tezuka Nut

Postby Ash » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:52 pm

The scene with the flood was really awesome. Just when they finally have water...

But the whole manga is great. And for Japanese learners: it's quite easy to understand in Japanse ^_^ (Most of the dialogue is screams XD)

Have only read The Drifting Classroom of Umezu, but I'll probably pick up Viz' release of Cat Eyed Boy and maybe Reptilia.
"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth" - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God
Ash

Tezuka Nut

Postby UnluckyLukeGR » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:59 pm

I'm tempted to pick up the Umezz Perfection omnibus editions of The Drifting Classroom. 3 volumes?!

I'm planning on getting Cat Eyed Boy, but I didn't like Reptilia. It's like the stories in the Scary Book volumes released by Dark Horse. Mediocre at best.

I'm still waiting for 14 and Left Hand of God, Right Hand of the Devil.
UnluckyLukeGR

Tezuka Nut

Postby Ash » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:06 pm

Yeah, that's the one I bought. It's a lot cheaper than 11 US individual volumes :P

One surprising feature of this release was how the color of the paper changes depending on where the story is. In the real world, it's kinda yellow-ish, while in the wasteland it's gloomy blue.

Edit:

Have you read the manga Dragon Head (Tokyopop)? It borrows a lot of The Drifting Classroom and is quite an entertaining read.

I've also recently started with Ito Junji. Uzumaki was really, really scary.
Ash

Tezuka Nut

Postby UnluckyLukeGR » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:56 pm

Lucky! So the Japanese isn't too difficult? Furigana, or no?

Thanks for the pictures. I'd never seen them all lined up. Even more tempting now. Thanks a lot. Since I only own the French bunko, the larger size is really appealing.

I like how many series are going into omnibus format. I own The World is Mine (amazing manga, by the way) in the five-volume edition. Shame that I can't really read it because of the overwhelming amount of kanji and local dialects.

I've read a few volumes of Dragon Head and really liked it. I haven't gotten around to finishing it, even though I should.

I like Junji Ito's works. Uzumaki was good, but my favorite work of his is the second short story at the end of Gyo. The one about the people-shape holes in a mountain after an earthquake. That was scary as hell.
UnluckyLukeGR

Tezuka Nut

Postby Ash » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:07 am

Ash

Tezuka Nut

Postby UnluckyLukeGR » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:23 am

UnluckyLukeGR

Tezuka Nut

Postby Ash » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:50 am

Ash

Tezuka Nut

Postby UnluckyLukeGR » Sun May 04, 2008 4:12 am

UnluckyLukeGR

Tezuka Nut

Postby Ash » Sun May 04, 2008 6:27 am

Cat's Eye ending is epic :") Everything the 80's stand for.

O_o You don't know Joe's ending? All well, the more fun for you ^_^ I wanted to order Ashita no Joe, but a friend convinced me to buy a different manga classic: Banana Fish. Which I know nothing about except it's rather un-shoujo-ish for a shoujo. That, and I share my nickname with the protagonist. And that's slightly BL. >.>

Yeah, Daigo 9, 10 and 13 are out of print. Which are the volumes I'm missing now >.< Will maybe replace with the Japanse versions...
Ash

Tezuka Nut

Next

Return to Offtopic