[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Classic manga or anime (in translation)

Classic manga or anime (in translation)

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Postby UnluckyLukeGR » Sun May 04, 2008 6:44 am

I just know about the real-life funeral, though I don't remember (or want to remember) the name of the character involved. Which is why I'm hesitant about picking up the movie. Do I want to have basically the first season spoiled for me, or do I want to leisurely go through the manga? Decisions, decisions.

I've heard about Banana Fish, but never read it. I haven't read much old-school shoujo (I skimmed a couple volumes of From Eroica with Love and Please Save my Earth). I seem to remember it being on clearance at a comics shop when I was visiting my grandparents (along with some volumes of Astro Boy).

And yes, Cat's Eye ending is epic.

Well, speaking of classic anime, I guess I should go and watch more of Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Only nine episodes left!
Last edited by UnluckyLukeGR on Sun May 04, 2008 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UnluckyLukeGR

Tezuka Nut

Postby Ash » Sun May 04, 2008 6:53 pm

"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth" - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God
Ash

Tezuka Nut

Postby UnluckyLukeGR » Sun May 04, 2008 11:24 pm

UnluckyLukeGR

Tezuka Nut

Postby Ash » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:48 am

Cat Eyed Boy was released in the US last month, a classic horror manga by Umezu (The Drifting Classroom). Read both volumes yesterday, reminded me a lot of Hakaba no Kitarou and GeGeGe no Kitarou.

What really surprised me was how these volumes were clearly based on the Umezz Perfection volumes ^_~ Really nice release of Viz.

Got the first bunko volumes of Ashita no Joe myself now, have to find time to read them though...
"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth" - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God
Ash

Tezuka Nut

Postby UnluckyLukeGR » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:58 pm

UnluckyLukeGR

Tezuka Nut

Postby Ash » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:22 pm

Ash

Tezuka Nut

Postby UnluckyLukeGR » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:41 pm

UnluckyLukeGR

Tezuka Nut

Postby Ash » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:47 pm

Ash

Tezuka Nut

Postby UnluckyLukeGR » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:26 pm

UnluckyLukeGR

Tezuka Nut

Postby Ash » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:41 pm

Ash

Tezuka Nut

Postby UnluckyLukeGR » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:07 pm

I haven't exactly been very diligent these past few months, with school and all. Problem is, I hate memorization (go to hell, counters), so while my grammar is pretty good, my vocabulary knowledge is pathetic. I also have no conversation experience.

Anyway, to tie this back to classic manga, I guess I should again promote the upcoming awesomeness that is Tokyo Zombie, a 70s cult classic scheduled for release on September 1 by Last Gasp and the awesome guys at Same Hat. I can't wait.
UnluckyLukeGR

Tezuka Nut

Postby Ash » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:19 pm

We only have one hour of conversation per week, but lately I've been practicing with the mentioned Japanese student and really helps a lot. And concerning vocabulaire, reading manga is the easiest solution, IMHO XD. Honestly you really learn lots of useful words reading manga. And some less useful words. I probably could do a perfect detective denouement scene with my vocabulaire, but I guess I won't ever get the opportunity XD But by reading you a) learn new words, b) see words in the right context and c) and even difficult things like counters slowly become second nature, as you see them repeated over and over and over...

*googles Tokyo Zombie*

You saw it first, a bald dude smacking a zombie's head off! (AHHH)

().

RAD-TASTIC.

Definately going to buy XD
Ash

Tezuka Nut

Postby Jeffbert » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:27 pm

I recently bought the SPEED RACER HBack set. I was a bit disappointed to see that ALL the names were taken straight out of the P. Fernandez English dubbed anime. There was not even 1 footnote telling what the J names were. :cry: However, it was interesting to see some of the stories in manga form; although there were only a few stories common to both anime & manga.

I have the 1st vol of LONE WOLF & CUB, & have seen the movies and 3 discs of the TV series. Unfortunately, the manga book is so narrow that it will barely stay open on my bookholder; hence, I bought only the 1st vol. :cry:

My main interest is robot stories, and any relation they may have to Astroboy & stories about him. Hence, I have Mahoromatic, Steel Angel Kurumi, Chobits, NAJICA BLITZ TACTICS (whose main attraction is panchira, but also features a robot who develops human qualities) & several other manga series on my shelf. I just started with both KUROGANE COMMUNICATIONS & World of Narue; the latter features transforming robots that become spaceships. I have seen all the anime of these, & taken notes about the robots.
Jeffbert

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby Ash » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:55 am

Ash

Tezuka Nut

Postby UnluckyLukeGR » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:01 pm

UnluckyLukeGR

Tezuka Nut

PreviousNext

Return to Offtopic