[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - What do you think the I.I.Q. is?

What do you think the I.I.Q. is?

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

What do you think the I.I.Q. is?

Postby Kevin » Fri May 02, 2008 2:50 pm

New E-Library! http://thelibrary.ninjanezumi.com/
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby cmoon » Fri May 02, 2008 9:29 pm

It is an ever increasing culture of sound-bites. Forget intellectual discussion, my slogan is sexier than yours.
"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby Kevin » Sat May 03, 2008 5:32 am

cmoon u made me chuckle ^_^

Your's is definitely the most creative response I've had.
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Potato » Sat May 03, 2008 5:58 am

I'm too sexy for this thread
Too sexy for this thread

*Cough* Sorry. Cmoon's fault entirely. :wink:

I say the intelligence quotient of the internet depends on technological enhancements and the type of browser.

I'm too sexy for Internet Explorer. That's a fact.

They say the internet's going to run out of bandwidth (whatever that is) in the next 10 or so years. >.<
Katara: Sokka, You're a genius!
Aang: Did the definition of genius change in the last 100 years?

Potato

Postby Kevin » Sun May 04, 2008 4:38 am

Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Potato » Sun May 04, 2008 6:41 am

Fair point there. But would you say the same thing if I had an electronic brain?

Offtopic: I have more posts than you.

Potato

Postby cmoon » Sun May 04, 2008 11:48 am

Careful Potato. Kevin is raising some real points. Let's not derail this so quickly.

My earlier comment was definitely not a joke. You would think having rapid access to information would mean greater intelligence just as having rapid access to music would mean greater music appreciation, but I'm not convinced.

Rapid access to information has translated to cut-and-paste, not genuine learning. Any real attempt to communicate (like this post) is genuinely drowned out by sound-bites.

For instance, of particular interest to me as a science educator is the so-called controversy between evolutionary theory and creationism/intelligent design. There not only is no controversy, but virtually all of the issues raised by the intelligent design folks have been concisely answered--but not in a way accessible to laymen or subject to 'sound-bite'-ification.

Even worse, the 'controversy' has been polarized into a Christian vs Athiest issue (it isn't) and even a conservative vs liberal issue (it isn't.)

In this one example we can see how something that is worth learning about but is fairly complex and would take a great deal of time to fully understand (yet is supported by as much evidence as newton's laws of motion) has easily been routed into a tenuous, controversial idea using only handful of sound-bites ('teach the controversy'), ad hominem & strawman arguments.

I am not using this example because I really want to discuss it here, but because I think this sort of shallowness is prevalent, and if spin is going to rule over evidence (very much the premise of the 21st century) then we certainly have receded down some sort of intellectual ladder.
"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby Kevin » Mon May 05, 2008 1:31 am

Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Potato » Mon May 05, 2008 5:52 am

Potato

Postby Kevin » Mon May 05, 2008 1:43 pm

yes I do ^_^

but I also think that the lack of intelligence on the net is influencing people who should otherwise be smarter.
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Potato » Tue May 06, 2008 5:09 am

I definitely think we need a serious debate section here.
I still stand by what I said, however, The overall memory capacity of the internet's "brain" alse depends on how much memory space was given to it.

Now I will sit here and listen to the internet decipher binary code.

Potato

Postby Tetsu Deinonychus » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:05 am

Tetsu Deinonychus

Tezuka Nut

Postby Kevin » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:31 pm

Yes, I see your point.

^_^

oh, but I would like to point out that many people believe Atlantis was a port city of Santorinii (sp?) - in either case, I doubt highly that it was such an evolved civilization, no more so than Troi.
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Return to Offtopic