[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - The "What'cha reading?" thread!

The "What'cha reading?" thread!

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Postby Kevin » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:55 pm

Jeffbert, that's pretty cool!

However, I think I'm going to be revolutionary in how I put my books on the internet.

I'm using a simple 40kb flash code to display "pictures" of each page. These pictures can't be downloaded, or highjacked. The user, however, doesn't need to download anything special to see them :D 100% free :D Each page has 4 advertisements so I can make some money ;D

8)

I'm sorry I'm plugging my soon to be website - I'm opening it up Feb 1st.
New E-Library! http://thelibrary.ninjanezumi.com/
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby Jeffbert » Wed May 20, 2009 5:48 pm

I just finished Fred Ladd's Astro Boy and Anime Come to the Americas: an insider’s view of the birth of a pop culture phenomenon, & am now starting Timothy N. Hornyak's Loving The Machine: The Art And Science Of Japanese Robots. :lol:

Fred has given a ton of information about the adapting of Japanese cartoons to English & American standards in particular; those are things with which he was involved. But he was misinformed about other things outside his field, Melmo, for one, Dororo and Hykamaru for another.
Jeffbert

Postby Potato » Wed May 20, 2009 9:31 pm

Katara: Sokka, You're a genius!
Aang: Did the definition of genius change in the last 100 years?

Potato

Postby Jeffbert » Wed May 20, 2009 10:40 pm

I think I read both that and Bless the beasts and the children. I know I saw the film versions, though.
Jeffbert

Postby chronocross_xp » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:58 pm

chronocross_xp

Tezuka reader

Postby Jeffbert » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:40 pm

Cool! I just finished E. R. Burroughs' Caspek trilogy, & am now starting to read A Princess of Mars, also by Edgar Rice Burroughs.
Jeffbert

Postby mokonafan » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:48 pm

....(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ ☆Wanna-be mermaid since 1994☆ (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧....
mokonafan

Tezuka reader

Postby Existential Warrior » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:09 am

I just completed Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse which was an easy, powerful read. I was surprised to see how similar it was to J. Krishnamurti's philosophy; Hermann Hesse basically shows the only way for one to achieve enlightenment is through actual experience rather than a lecture by a guru of some kind. The Siddhartha in Hesse's novel is a different character from the actual, historical Buddha. The historical Buddha in Hesse's novel is called by his last name, Gotama. However, Siddhartha (first name of Buddha yet a separate character) provides a similar tale of enlightenment in the same vein of Gotama's past journey (i.g., he rejected the caste system and sought his own means of enlightenment). Interestingly enough, the Siddhartha in this tale repudiates Gotama, for Siddhartha believes true enlightenment comes from personal experience plus following one's own path. It was an existential novel in many ways, but I personally, well as of now, believe it did a better job capturing the essence Eastern thought.

I am on volume 7 of Buddha by Tezuka right now. It is good, and it has made me interested in studying Buddhist thought. I am more interested in its actual philosophy rather than tradition (e.g., clothes + culture).

I recently finished The Plague and The Myth of Sisyphus by Albert Camus not too long ago, and they were great. Granted, I do not want to read The Fall by Camus even though it's in my schedule. I will most likely skip this due to it's overly flashy, exuberant prose, and move onto Nietzsche's Beyond Good and Evil.

Finally, I have been fighting through Immanuel Kant. I am reading Kant's Prolegomena alongside a Routlidge Guide on Critique of Pure Reason. It is really my introduction to metaphysics. I chose to start with Kant because of how he reconciles empiricism and rationalism into one awesome philosophy.
Existential Warrior

Tezuka reader

Postby Jeffbert » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:48 pm

Jeffbert

Postby Jeffbert » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:54 am

I an now reading Fred Patten's book Watching Anime, Reading Manga; I am not quite at the 1/3 point. I just received an anthology of Frederick Brown's short SF stories. He wrote Arena among other things. Arena is one of, if not the most popular story among SF TV shows. Star Trek, The Outer Limits, & yes, Astroboy all have made versions of this story. I hope to start reading this book by mid-November.

BTW, sorry for the double post! :wink:
Jeffbert

Previous

Return to Offtopic