[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - The "What'cha reading?" thread!

The "What'cha reading?" thread!

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

The "What'cha reading?" thread!

Postby Ash » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:26 pm

Like the title says? What'cha reading, what do you think about it, is it to be recommended, etc? Most of my readings consist of Golden Age detective fiction by the way ^_~

Last night I finished John Dickson Carr's The Crooked Hinge, one of his Doctor Fell mysteries. While known as one of his better books, I didn't actually like it as much as other Doctor Fell mysteries like the The Hollow Man (legendary for it's locked room lecture!), The Plague Court Murders and He Who Whispers (Or the Merrivale novel The Judas Window). Use of horror-themes in his book is very Carr-ish, but here it was kinda confusing, with unrelating subjects like Automatons and Satanism.

I'm also reading Japan Technology University's Professor Ueda Jirou's "C'mon Strange Powers!" (日本科学技術大学教授上田次郎のどんと来い、超常現象). It's a metafiction book of the Japanese drama Trick (really funny detectivedrama!), written by the protagonist Ueda Jirou. In it, he chronicles the happenings of the dramas, but from his viewpoint. So he never fainted when ESP-er Big Mother used her levitation in his office, he "saw through her trick immediately and went to sleep". XD

What's even funnier, in Trick 2, Ueda Jirou's is promoting the same book throughout the series XD
"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth" - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God
Ash

Tezuka Nut

Postby Potato » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:15 pm

Remember that book I wrote not so long ago? I'm reading that. :wink:

Eh I'm reading stuff all over the place, and admiring the voice overs on my school's upcoming performance thing.

I might actually sart reading 'To Kill a Mockingbird". Interesting.
Katara: Sokka, You're a genius!
Aang: Did the definition of genius change in the last 100 years?

Potato

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby Princess Sapphire » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:00 am

I'm currently reading "The Chronicles of Narnia" by C. S. Lewis to my mother. She has always loved those classic stories. So do I. :D
Osamu Tezuka is Japan's greatest story teller
Princess Sapphire

Tezuka Veteran

Postby Potato » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:59 am

Potato

Postby cmoon » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:02 pm

"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby Tetsuwan » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:06 pm

Tetsuwan

Tezuka Nut

Postby Potato » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:44 am

Potato

Postby Princess Sapphire » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:45 am

Princess Sapphire

Tezuka Veteran

Postby Potato » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:50 am

Potato

Postby Kevin » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:39 am

New E-Library! http://thelibrary.ninjanezumi.com/
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Potato » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:48 am

Potato

Postby Tetsuwan » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:30 pm

Kevin is right. The book's chronological order are different from how the story line is supposed to be read. I've heard this many times and have seen that site (or one similar to it) containing the way the books were meant to be read.

What happened was when C.S Lewis was writing the series, he would write a book then go back to complete another story that came before the one he just wrote. He kept coming up with ideas and stories that took place before and after the previous book he wrote. This led to the books being out of order if read chronologically, since he went back from one book to another while writing them.

This is pretty much what I remember from being told of the reasoning behind the books order.
Tetsuwan

Tezuka Nut

Postby Potato » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:56 am

Well that's just silly. C.S Lewis caused a time paradox. Now I know why reading the book was so confusing. >.<

Potato

Postby Princess Sapphire » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:17 am

Princess Sapphire

Tezuka Veteran

Postby Kevin » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:04 am

C.S. Lewis was a blowhard with very little skill in writing as far as I'm concerned.

3 of his books were half decent the others just made me want to throttle him.

:shock:
New E-Library! http://thelibrary.ninjanezumi.com/
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Next

Return to Offtopic