[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Sad Thread - Environmental Song - Picture Links (so beware)

Sad Thread - Environmental Song - Picture Links (so beware)

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Sad Thread - Environmental Song - Picture Links (so beware)

Postby Kevin » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:18 am

This thread is separated from the previous environment thread because the other thread -- well, it's toxic. No use bringing it up again.

ok so I'm a big Day the Earth Stood Still fan, and I came across a music video on youtube that's awesome. It was put together by user named re2rodan if you search for him you can find the video "Gort's Return" or something like that. DO NOT LOOK FOR IT IF YOU ARE UNDERAGE! Please. It doesn't violate youtube, but I don't want any kids goin to the video then dropping their jaw.

I won't post the link because it has some artistic and news nudity in it (2 gals without tops and fuzzy pictures of abu gharab).

But I can do the next best thing:

Lyrics + pictures :D

I warn you, this thread..... it may make you sad.

Also it has picture links.

It's a conversation between an alien visitor and human representatives.

It's a retro-song. But it's awesome song:

The Five Man Electrical Band
lyrics transcribed by:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropol ... ssics.html

I'm A Stranger Here

well im a stranger here on this place called earth

and I was sent down here to discover the worth

of your little blue planet third from the sun

c'mon and show me what you've done

we've got the aeroplane,

we got the automobile,

we got skyscraping buildings made of glass and steel

we got synthetic food that nearly tastes real

and a little white pill that makes you feel

heyyyyyy a whole lot better when you get out of bed

you take one in the morning for the long day ahead

we got everything everybody needs to survive

surely the good life has arrived

I think your atmosphere is hurting my eyes

and your concrete mountains are blacking out the skies

now i dont say that you've been telling me lies

but why do I hear those children's cries?

Im a stranger here - im just looking around

I see the aeroplanes carrying the bombs

why you even find people to drop them on

you know you cant keep what you take by force

but its only my first impression of course

Im a stranger here on your planet earth

we got the rivers and the mountains

and the valleys and the trees

we got the birds in the sky
we got the fish in the sea

we got the.....

ohhhhhh you crazy fools dont you know you had it made?
you were living in paradise

but take it from one who knows

who knows the gates of heaven can close
I only pray that you take my advice

because paradise wont come twice

well im a stranger here on this place called earth

and I was sent down here to discover the worth

of your little blue planet third from the sun

I think I will go back home where I come from

From "Sweet Paradise" (1973)
Last edited by Kevin on Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
New E-Library! http://thelibrary.ninjanezumi.com/
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby Kevin » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:24 am

PS: it's 4 in the am and I couldn't figure out how to fix the pictures so they were smaller, if any of you (strobe, cmoon, etc...) want to fix my pictures, feel free ^_^ Iwon't mind.

But pls let the pictures or similar pictures stay in some form, I tried to recreate the music video for those who aren't allowed to watch it ^_^ and I think it was an awesome video with a cool message.
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Rock's Sunglasses » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:05 am

This is a fitting place to post it, too, knowing Tezuka's passion for showing the world such messages about the fragility of the "paradise" of Earth.

From someone whose internet situation won't allow videos at the moment, the images and words alone got the song's strong, sobering message across just fine--good job. For something lighter, while it was unintentional, the irony of your use of "toxic" to describe an environmentally oriented thread made me smile.
Image ImageImage
Rock's Sunglasses

Tezuka Nut

Postby Tetsu Deinonychus » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:24 am

KLAATU VERATA NIKTO!

Ahem..

Anyway, great pseudo-vid!

It saddens me to think what our retched excuse for a species has done to our beloved planet. This was a great way to get a very important message across.
Tetsu Deinonychus

Tezuka Nut

Postby Kevin » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:26 am

Thank you, yes I thought that those who love astro boy would like this video and the lyrics and pictures I provided ^_^

It's an awesome video, but again, it's for a more grown up viewer. So I suggest that the younger members just use this thread as a substitute.

and yes, the way I used toxic was funny lol I didn't realize it.

:D
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby cmoon » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:39 pm

A few recent articles that seem relevant:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7502071.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7501476.stm

It is good that more people than ever understand the problem, but moving people in developed nations toward real solutions is going to be difficult. Imagining the US lifestyle that has an acceptable ecological footprint is still pretty cloudy in my mind.
"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby Kevin » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:20 pm

Those links are all kinds of awesome, cmoon!

Here's one you may like :D

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/07/17/ ... index.html
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby cmoon » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:28 pm

"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Return to Offtopic