[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Should I change my name to Zuko or Inuyasha?

Should I change my name to Zuko or Inuyasha?

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Should I rename myself Zuko or Inuyasha?

Zuko!! You are Definitely a Fire Bending Tactless ex-prince!
25%
Inuyasha!! You're son of a dog demon, that's for sure.
No votes
Kevin fits you just fine, the world is what's screwed up!
75%

Total votes : 4

Should I change my name to Zuko or Inuyasha?

Postby Kevin » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:23 am

I am getting sick and tired of people yelling at me saying I am insulting them when I clearly did NOT insult them.

this is a recent threat where a friend just yelled at me for calling him down and I swear I didn't call him down:
http://saveandromeda.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?n ... 238255/0#4

I know I'm blunt, but blunt is not insulting. I grew up in an area where you just tell people the facts as you see them. When you ask someone a question and they don't give you a full answer or a type of answer you need, and you say "Well, that doesn't answer the question because of this" it means that you're still looking for the answer. It doesn't mean you're insulting them.

But jesus, anywhere I go lately on the web, people are acting like any contrary thing said to them is a personal insult!

Now I can understand in debates, "insulting" counter arguments are quite possible. But that's debate. And when you go to a debate meet, you see that all the time on the professional circuit.

But I clearly restrict those comments to debate!!!

The rest of the time I just give frank answers.

So I need to ask:

Is the world screwed up? Or should I rename myself Zuko or Inuyasha?
New E-Library! http://thelibrary.ninjanezumi.com/
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby Tetsu Deinonychus » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:31 am

I always thought just using your actual first name was a little flat.

I voted Zuko.

Though, personally I think you should just do what I did and come up with an original net-name.

Though, in my case my net-name is a part of my identity. I even have a custom T-shirt that says "Tetsu" on it. In fact sometimes my real name "Brendan" sounds strange to me anymore (usually, because people who call me that want me to do something for them). To me, Tetsu Deinonychus (and sometimes Zero Deinonychus) is the name I chose for myself.

So, it may not be as big a deal to you as to me.

...Or, maybe you could name yourself after "Rio" from Jem and The Holograms.
Tetsu Deinonychus

Tezuka Nut

Postby Princess Sapphire » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:09 pm

I'm pretty much used to calling you Kevin, and I don't think there's anything wrong with you at all. :)
Osamu Tezuka is Japan's greatest story teller
Princess Sapphire

Tezuka Veteran

Postby Kevin » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:06 pm

At least it isn't me. I still can't figure out why people like mizor keep flipping out. I'm not even remotely yelling at them. When I do call someone down, it's very clear that I am.
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Rock's Sunglasses » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:35 am

I voted Kevin as well; using your real name serves your personality well, or what I've seen of it, being fairly new here.

And here's an observation I've made of what people react to on the internet, or perhaps of humans in general--some of the touchiest I've ever seen people has been when they feel their intelligence or level of knowledge on a topic important to them has been challenged, even when, if they had counted to ten and reconsidered before reacting, they might have found no reason to feel the way they do. That was probably what happened here; I would guess that one little part at the end of your second post was the one that really struck a nerve, though if we people weren't so quick to react to something that put certain ideas in our heads, one would notice that it was nothing but tongue-in-cheek and directed at no specific reader.

It interests me,how the longest, most uncivil debates are the ones where it's not only an idea being challenged, but on some level, the competency of those involved...and yes, I go off topic this way a lot. ;)
Image ImageImage
Rock's Sunglasses

Tezuka Nut

Postby Tetsu Deinonychus » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:51 am

Or you could just pull a "Prince" and change your name to an unpronounceable hieroglyphic.

"The member formerly known as Kevin" :lol: .

Anyway, I think Rock's Sunglasses has a good point. In fact, that's why I try to avoid debating anyone online, these days. It just kept turning ugly.
Tetsu Deinonychus

Tezuka Nut

Postby Kevin » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:17 am

Well I think I know why my pseudo net pal got upset. He had a bad day and he's ex-navy. I think he thought I was dissing the navy, but I wasn't so hopefully he will read my pm :D

ps, tetsu, check your messages folder :D

and yes, I use Kevin because I am pretty straight forward. Except on some online RPGs, then I conceal everything.
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Rock's Sunglasses » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:32 am

Heh, you never know what's going on behind a person's mood. It's a huge pet peeve of mine when someone doesn't realize they're upset over something a little different than what they think they're upset about. I'm glad you guys sorted that out so nicely.

Oh, and I could have so much fun turning the letter "K" into something Prince-like.
Image ImageImage
Rock's Sunglasses

Tezuka Nut

Postby Tetsu Deinonychus » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:40 am

I agree with you on that.

I especially hate it when someone who blew up at you when you didn't do anything, because they're upset at something else, thinks they don't have to apologize or anything.

As if it's an excuse that just makes everything alright.
Tetsu Deinonychus

Tezuka Nut

Postby Rock's Sunglasses » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:18 am

I've got a little mental radar that usually picks it up, honed by being one of a moderately large family. ;)
Image ImageImage
Rock's Sunglasses

Tezuka Nut

Postby Kevin » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:13 am

I know a lot of people though that have ghosts at the back of their thoughts that cause problems. I've learned that people who do have a legitimate excuse deserve a little more understanding from me.

My one friend, terry, she has aspergers on top of some other things. She isn't always mentally sound. I also know a person who is ex-seals and was in vietnam.

So I always try to found out first if the person has ghosts.

My net pal on this site has had some days which are bad, it causes me to suspect, and therefore I try to give him the benefit of the doubt ^_^

He has a very good friend who said some other things to me that seems to solidify a few suspicions.

But I still had to ask to see if it's my problem and not his :O

In general though, people who just blow up at me get their butts kicked.

lol

But this instance I think it was a case of mistaken understanding. ^_^

thx for answering guys :D
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Return to Offtopic