[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Video Game CONSOLE WARS -- FIGHT!!!

Video Game CONSOLE WARS -- FIGHT!!!

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Postby Kevin » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:39 pm

New E-Library! http://thelibrary.ninjanezumi.com/
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby Tetsu Deinonychus » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:04 pm

Gaming pretty much turned to crap after the Dreamcast died. It was like the last good system.

And, yes it's games looked, and more importantly felt, way better than PS2 games.

It's not even about the hardware. The Dreamcast was the last system of games that were creative, and fun. It was the last bastion of the era of games that had a cool comic-book/anime/cartoon feel to them (said era started with the NES), and the PS2 was the start of the current era of games that feel like boring mainstream Hollywood movies (BTW I HATE boring mainstream Hollywood movies!!!).

I have never played a Dreamcast game I did not enjoy, Jet Set Radio, Space Channel 5, Sonic Adventure, Street Fighter 3, Soul Calibur, Grandia II, and Shenmue are all some of the best games of all time, and while many have ports and sequels on the newer systems there's no one system that has ALL these games on it like the Dreamcast does.

The whole generation that followed was nothing but a stream of crappy Grand Theft Auto clones (I DESPISE GTA AND ALL IT'S CLONES), boring stealth games, and repetitive 1st person shooters.

I'm interested in the Wii for it's unique controls, and classic game downloads, and I love my DS (or at least I love New Super Mario Bros., and I know there's a Code Lyoko game for DS, and I adore Code Lyoko). But, aside from that, and indie games (SUPPORT THE INDIE GAME INDUSTRY) modern games can pretty much kiss my bitter old-school-gaming posterior.
Tetsu Deinonychus

Tezuka Nut

Postby Tetsuwan » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:03 pm

Tetsuwan

Tezuka Nut

Postby cmoon » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:16 pm

"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby Kevin » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:26 pm

PS2 is suffering from two syndromes:

* Shooting Fish in a Barrel syndrome - it's bound to get a few good titles after hundreds of misses.
* The So much more inexpensive than the other System that if Sony got rid of it they'd go bankrupt in two weeks Syndrome - this is what Nintendo 64 had in comparison with the Gameboy. Sony is FORCED to keep the PS2 on the market, not because it has a ton of good games, but because the PS3 is a financial failure. Sony is in the hole by over 1.6 billion dollars. They have yet to make a profit, and the Sony chief exec made an announcement last month that they will probably never make that 1.6 billion dollar deficit back.

Without PS2 sales to float the PS3, they'd have already declared bankruptsy.

That's the only reason the PS2 is still around. Not because the majority of games were successful 8)

Although I do own a PS2 and I do enjoy some of the games. I think I still own just as many Dreamcast games. lol
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby cmoon » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:13 pm

Well it isn't like we're arguing. I think what I said was very similar to you.

Personally however, I think the PS2 actually has an enormous number of good games--far more than many other consoles HOWEVER, that does not change the fact that the ratio of bad to good is pretty high.

In fact, the ratio of bad to good is pretty high on most consoles. The DC was just sort of a rare exception.

I love the DC, but I have way more great games on the PS2. Hmmm, maybe I just don't really care much for console wars to begin with. I go where the good games are, and the PS2 had a lot of good games. *shrugs*
cmoon

Postby Kevin » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:13 pm

I'm not arguing, I'm just pointing things out bro ^_^

until now:

How dare you say that the ratio of Bad to Good games was high on the Sega Genesis- Sega Genesis was AWESOME! Very high ratio of GOOD games as opposed to bad games :P

haha

8)
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby cmoon » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:24 am

cmoon

Postby Kevin » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:05 am

Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Tetsu Deinonychus » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:27 am

I'm not saying there aren't any games on PS2 that I'd like to play. I'm just saying there aren't nearly enough (at least until they get really cheap).

After the DC was canceled I bought a GC. I have some good games for it, but it was kinda disappointing.

Then, I discovered 3 great things...

--Independent Games

--Emulators

--Mark Overmars' "Gamemaker" program.(If I can't find a good game I can MAKE one!)

These three things became my gaming universe, and I pretty much turned my back on modern console games after that.

I honestly don't know what games came out after that (I haven't heard of alot of the ones you're mentioning, but I bet I can name some indie games you haven't heard of). I just now regained my interest because of the Wii.

BTW, aside from the DC. I say the original NES has the best good to bad ratio (and is the other best system ever)!
Tetsu Deinonychus

Tezuka Nut

Postby cmoon » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:48 pm

Hmmm... Well although I think I've already made my point clear, I'll go ahead and restate (just for the record):

I actually think the total of great ps2 games outstrips most consoles. Of course, it got there by releasing thousands of crappy games, but that's besides the point. As a long-term video game junkie, the ps2 actually is one of my favorite consoles not because I think it is a great system or because it has a high ratio of great to poor games. Rather, it is just total games.

And yes, I think the PS2 actually has many of the classic consoles (snes/genesis) beat down on total number of great games, but here's where tastes tend to vary (I find I'm harsher on the 8 and 16 bit generations than most.)

If this thread is still alive after my move and I've got a chance to go through my collection I'll try to make a list of truly worth games for the PS2--it may be some great titles have slipped people's attention.
cmoon

Postby Kevin » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:04 pm

Make the list man make the list :D

In fact, I think we should try to make lists of great games across all consoles, divided by category of console and sub category of type of game ^_^
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Tetsuwan » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:10 pm

Tetsuwan

Tezuka Nut

Postby cmoon » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:23 pm

cmoon

Postby Kevin » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:37 pm

ok Ima add my list, every few pages we should collect the total:

NES - Robocop Really fun game :D

I have many of these but not all.

SNES
- Seiken Densetsu 2 / Secret of Mana
- Seiken Densetsu 3
- Super Mario World (Yoshi was awesome, although I admit I broke two controller casings on it. The controllers still work)
- Aladdin

Genesis
- Altered Beast
- Sparkster the Rocket Knight
- Rocket Knight Adventures
- The Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse
- Quackshot starring Donald Duck
- The Original Sonic the Hedgehog. NOTHIN beats Starlight Zone :D Best music in all the series.
- Jurassic Park for the Genesis was a thousand times better than any other platform (cousin had the game, it was awesome)
- Bonanza Brothers (awesome game. Rented and never bought. Wish I had. Probably will when I get money).
- Sports games - at the time, Sega was the only competent platform for Sports Games. Some of the original sports games still beat out half the sports games on the PS2 gameplay wise. Though graphics are superior on PS2.
- Mutant League ANYTHING.
- Castlevania Bloodlines (heard lots of good things, but could never afford it)
- Ghouls 'N Ghosts (loved arcade and genesis versions)
- Golden Axe 1 2 and 3. It was so awesome because you could play as a Centaur in one of them - first time and I think the only time you could play as a non-standard fantasy race like Centaur in a console game.
- Phelios. Love the game, but can never beat it. Pisses me off when I get to level 5. But I keep coming back :D
- Shining Force 1 and 2

Genesis-Splinter SEGA CD:
- Mortal Kombat Sega CD (technically you needed both Genesis and Sega CD to play so I consider it a Genesis splinter game). This was the first Mortal Kombat console game to give us what we wanted - Arcade BLOOD and LOTS OF IT!
- Hook Sega CD
- Sewer Shark Sega CD

Genesis-Splinter (required Genesis to use) 32x:
- Star Wars the Arcade Game

I'll halt it right there so other people can list their favorites as well.

Sega Genesis was also the first system to successfully operate cross platform games. Games which appeared on PC first wound up on Genesis in short order, with very little in loss of graphic quality.

We take it for granted now, but back then it was the most awesome thing to have.

Playstation has since seemed to halt their cross platform gaming. They're primarily doing exclusive games now, which is really sad.
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Next

Return to Offtopic