[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Top 30 Movies of All Time

Top 30 Movies of All Time

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Postby Kevin » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:19 am

New E-Library! http://thelibrary.ninjanezumi.com/
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby Jeffbert » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:59 am

I have recently added a few spaghetti Westerns to my Netflix queue, & am waiting for the next arrival. :lol: Anyway, this film was always one of my favorites, coming next on my list right after Santa Claus Conquers the Martians :lol: :D
Jeffbert

Postby Existential Warrior » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:16 pm

Tetsuo The Iron Man

This experimental film has some interesting cyberpunk themes plus messages. They mostly pertain to the destruction of human nature. At what point does a human cease to be human? Does excessive transhumanism [t+] result in the destruction of the human "spirit"? This is the central question behind all the bizarre imagery and butchery.

Please consult this short analysis if you wish to learn more:
http://www.cyberpunkreview.com/movie/de ... -iron-man/

El Topo

I am a huge fan of surreal films and video games. After completing the video game Killer 7, directed by the amazing Suda 51, I read a long analysis on it. The way the game expressed its messages through bizarre events intrigued me. It had profound, underlying messages on Japanese and American politics. Naturally, I looked for similar styled movies. I went onto Takashi Miike's films and, best of all, Jodorowsky's masterpiece, El Topo.

The film captures the spirit of religion rather than its dogmas. It's bizarre events always have an underlying message accompanying them. Besides being very powerful, the movie has been a big influence towards The Beatles, Marlyn Manson, Suda 51, Miike, and many other artists. I will watch Holy Mountain soon.

Here is one of my favorite scenes from the El Topo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76bTGx6JtUE

Blade Runner

Blade Runner doesn't need much explanation. Besides influencing figures such as Hideo Kojima, Neal Stephenson, and etc., it is still regarded as an age-less cinematic masterpiece based off Phillip K. Dick's masterpiece Do Androids Dream of Electronic?.

2001: A Space Odyssey

The ending moved me deeply. In some ways, it reminded me of the video game Deus Ex; man transcending beyond mere mortality into something greater. Basically, a post-humanist manifesto!

A Clockwork Orange

The questions this movie left had a profound impact on me. Some of them include:

Can goodness truly come from external force or fear?

At one point does revenge become immoral? Is it immoral to begin with? Does hurting the man, who is currently suffering, that killed your loved one come from selfishness? (the scene with the old man playing Beethoven's song for Alex near the end)

I heard the book does a better job exploring the theme of totalitarian government.[/i]

[EDIT] I had some careless grammar errors I fixed. I should take the time to proofread for now on.
Last edited by Existential Warrior on Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Existential Warrior

Tezuka reader

Postby Kevin » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:04 pm

Thank you for posting that is an interesting list ^_^
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby UnluckyLukeGR » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:29 pm

UnluckyLukeGR

Tezuka Nut

Postby Existential Warrior » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:31 am

Anything Ignmar Bergman

Check out The Seventh Seal.

Existential Warrior

Tezuka reader

Postby Kevin » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:39 am

Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Jeffbert » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:47 pm

I liked that film, though its pace was rather slow. If it had not been for The Seventh Seal, would there have been Bill & Ted's Bogus--, & if not for that, would there be Billy & Mandy? :lol:
Jeffbert

Postby Kevin » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:33 am

Yeah the Seventh Seal is definitely a talker, and half of it you can miss without missing a thing.

It really was the poster child for introspective film noir. Unfortunately, it's the only real good introspective film noir, every other of that type I've seen has been absolute crap.

Jeffbert, don't forget, without this film, we never would've gotten the definitive Ming the Merciless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klPI85ev9zA

FLASH

AAAAAAAAA-aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh

he'llsaveeveryoneofus
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Jeffbert » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:43 am

Jeffbert

Postby MaryDan » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:50 am

I don't think this movie has been mentioned in this thread, so I want to throw in Casablanca.
Not only does Casablanca have two of my favorite actors (Peter Lorre <3 and Humphrey Bogart) but it also has Sydney Greenstreet, Claude Rains, and Ingrid Bergman.
The story is great (it takes place in the beginning of WWII) and the scenery (especially Rick's Cafe Americain) is beautiful. I really recommend it to anyone that likes (old) movies if you haven't seen it.

Eventually I will have more to post in here, but Casablanca is a good starting point I suppose. :D
MaryDan

Postby Kevin » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:28 am

Good suggestion ^_^
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Jeffbert » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:18 am

TCM has it scheduled for Weds the 16th of Dec.
Jeffbert

Previous

Return to Offtopic