[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Top 30 Movies of All Time

Top 30 Movies of All Time

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Top 30 Movies of All Time

Postby Kevin » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:36 am

Ripping off cmoon's post. I want to hear your top 30 movies.

Here are the rules:

* Movies need not be in any particular order, but they all have to be cream of the crop.

* You MUST give reasons behind the movies. You can't just say : Because I liked it. You can say that as WELL as at least 5 good lines of what made it a good movie.

* You can do one movie at a time, and edit your first post appropriately. God knows I won't be able to list all of my 30 movies at once. In fact I think I'll do one a day.

* cmoon has every right to split my thread up into two threads if a debate arises between movies.

Top Movies for Me:

2001: A Space Odyssey

I do not like this movie because it was a Kubrick movie. I like this movie because it has elements beyond the formulaic Hollywood definition of Protagonist, Antagonist, climax and resolution. The things in this movie are amazing include but are not limited to:
---The instrumental soundtrack being used to tell the plot. Usually this rarely happens. Most soundtracks that include plot are vocals.
---No beginning, no middle, no end. The movie is a stretch of time as determined by the main character in the film. "Oh that main character is HAL or Dave". WRONG! THE Main Character in the film is the OBELISK! Wherever the Obelisk goes, the movie follows. In fact, wherever the Obelisk goes, HUMANITY follows. It is the god element without having to be god. It is a creation element without having to be creation.
---Kubrick's ability to create a tense situation with a character who neither shows emotion, nor is backed by a giant orchestral score, is what defines the perfection of script, director and actor working as one. Even with the dated space suits, dated set design, the end result of all aspects for the film was so powerful you stop thinking: "Why color code space suits? Why the 60s hair cuts? Didn't the SSR disband in the early 90s?" You're only concern was: "Wow, this is some serious **** they're into!"

Qualities in this movie are:

* Sound science.
Something seriously lacking in Science Fiction today is SCIENCE! The last two seasons of Doctor Who made me want to punch the TV Screen because the writers were so STUPID in the area.
* Skilled political insertions through the plot without making a giant statement of "Communists are evil" or etc...
* Imagination that looked futuristic without being idiotic. It was a future so cautiously predicted that IT VERY WELL COULD HAVE HAPPENED!

Clarke did an excellent job writing the script with Kubrick as they shot the film, and it was one of the last great Science Fiction films made. Most of the Sci-Fi crap being made now is just Futuristic Fantasy. No science at all. I'm sorry, but Star Wars qualifies as Futuristic Fantasy. Even Star Trek, with its foibles, tries to utilize social and psychological sciences to substitute for hard physical science.
New E-Library! http://thelibrary.ninjanezumi.com/
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby Kevin » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:31 am

Blade Runner

Voted the most scientifically probably future of mankind. What's more is, did you know that the technology in Blade Runner, almost all of the science "fiction" technology has either become science fact, or is possible in the very near future because we've developed the base mechanics?

We've already developed base mechanics for transporting a particle faster than the speed of light.

We have flying cars (though they are expensive as all getout and require a pilot's license).

We have cloning technology.

This movie also capitalizes on many people's religious bigotry that only humans have souls, what about Clones?

This movie was meant to be a series, with a sequel following (hence the voice over at the end of the theatrical presentation), however, Harrison Ford was injured so many times on set, and treated so poorly by the director, that Harrison said - ENOUGH I will NEVER Work with this man again!

It is unfortunate because it could've been an amazing series ^_^ Then again, maybe it is a blessing in disguise, as the novel sequel sucked hard monkey rocks.
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Tetsuwan » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:34 pm

Tetsuwan

Tezuka Nut

Postby Tetsuwan » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:57 pm

Tetsuwan

Tezuka Nut

Postby Kevin » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:06 am

Ghostbusters

Nothing defines comedy like "We came, we saw, we kicked its ***!" after just getting their rears handed to them by the ghost they eventually trapped.

One major complaint about this movie: The EPA guy was made to be the villain.

Why should people watch it? Three of the greatest comedians of the late 20th century, Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis, Bill Murray put together a show like nobody has seen before. Ghostbusters was one of very few comedies that defined the last 20 years of the 20th century. It really did. Not just defining the 80s, they defined society in a very comedic way of confronting the undead.

Not only that, but they managed to make people fear a giant sailor made out of marshmallows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Kevin » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:43 am

Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas

This is the closest I believe 20th century America has come to creating its own major "mainstream accepted" Opera. The only disqualifications are the spoken parts carrying half of the plot.

Danny Elfman is a musical god, easily on the same level as Motzart and other great composers. Yeah, so what if Danny never did a full aria by age of 20. His orchestral work has spoken for itself. Not only has he dominated full blow orchestras, but he can successfully accomplish compositions for rock and techno. He respects other creative works (using Roald Dahl's poems instead of re-writing Charlie and the Chocolate Factory like that crap composer did for Gene Wilder's Willy Wonka and the Chocolat Factor). Not only that, but Danny completed and redid the entire musical score for Nightmare Before Christmas in HALF the time as was originally allotted. Few people know that the original composer punked out on his duties, and had to be fired by Tim Burton because he was too incompetent to even get a single song done in 6 months time. This speaks to Danny's skills.

Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas was a perfect meddling of Halloween and Christmas, something of which kids can't get enough. Stop Motion Animation works smooth and kept alive other forms of Animation besides straight CGI.

Not only does this movie satisfy the Musical Craving of modern American family audiences with skillfully non-cliche'd songs, but it also serviced the craving for a variety of animation.
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Kevin » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:38 pm

Father Goose

A classic "kid" adventure movie set during WWII. This movie has the lush/stark contrasts of technicolor, which almost make the film seem animated, combined with comedy that stands up to today. There are no wide eyed overacting kid actors, as has been the Disney and Nickelodeon motif the last few years, which is another big plus.

The acting, well, nobody gave a dry line, and there's not a single plastic nose in the entire cast!

You may think these are flimsy qualifications for a top movie of all time, but quite frankly, with all the literal trash put out the last few years, can you blame me?

^_^
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Recca_Phoenix » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:02 pm

Here's one more reason 2001 is great: Kubrick (a huge Tezuka fan) actually had asked Tezuka to do the art direction for the film! He couldn't because he was too busy though :(

Here's one of my many all-time favourites:

Lawrence of Arabia

Everything in this movie is epic, and more importantly, almost "real!" Thousands of Arabs stampeding across the desert on horses and camels? All stuntmen on real animals. That stunning desert sunset? They waited for the sun to come up to film it (and placed it after this great scene of Lawrence blowing out a match....BEST CUT IN CINEMATIC HISTORY). Those massive pyramids in the desert? Real things that the crew travelled into the heart of the desert to film. Not to mention top-notch acting, art direction, writing (a beautiful script as sparse-yet-profound as the desert itself) and a compelling story. And what's more, it's history and it really happened! And let's not forget the wonderful Maurice Jarre score that brings drama to all the right moments. Despite being almost 4 hours long, I wasn't bored for a second of it. 10/10, 5 stars, 2 thumbs up, now and forever. One of the greatest films of all time.
Now translating:
Recca_Phoenix

Tezuka Nut

Postby cmoon » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:04 am

I like Father Goose and that other film with the pink submarine (can't remember the title), but I guess I'll side with your suspicion that I'd never count it as top 30 material.

I've already mentioned some of my favorites in the short-lived animated film section. Nonetheless, here's two more...

(can you post two at once?)

The Wild Bunch (1969)

Of my two favorite films by Sam Peckinpah, this one is my favorite. An exploration of the death of the old west, following the lives of a band of outlaws as their place and validity in the world effectively comes to a close. This is a true 'man movie' or what it means to be a real man, versus an emasculated male-bot of our modern age. That said, there is little romanticism--Peckinpah's deep cynicism rumbles along through the whole film which is both politically sophisticated, and morally complex. Like all great films, we are left with some huge questions; that and the film is possibly one of the greatest American westerns (and this from someone who for the most part can't stand American westerns.)

John Carpenter's The Thing (1982)

I still don't know if this film is a happy accident or the work of a genius who in general is mostly a cinematic failure (I like Carpenter, but he's never made a film like this.) The Thing manages to do three things at once that each deserve considerable attention:
1) Captures the paranoia and darkness of the 80's. This is one of those period defining films as iconic as Robocop. If you weren't alive for the cold war, why not just watch this film, the level of frantic paranoia is preserved perfectly.
2) There is much homage to Lovecraft here, and I can't think of a film that does it better. Since I can't watch a movie of 'mountains of madness', I'll be satisfied with The Thing, which psychology does the same.
3) Recognized the significance of the inspiring story 'Who goes there', and restores its implied meaning and dignity.

Those three things are magnificent enough, but The Thing is one of the few horror films I would call truly scary. After all is said and done, a malignant creepiness lingers (for whatever reason.) Oh yes, and the special effects are one-of-a-kind. Even with the blundered monster at the end, it hardly matters. The Thing manages to be one of the creepiest movies of all time, sharing its tiny niche only with a handful of other movies such as Alien, and the more recent Descent.

"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby Kevin » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:05 am

You can post as many as you want in a post. I just do mine single post so I don't overwhelm anyone. And remember, these are your personal top 30s so we don't have to agree on our list. But if you do see something on someone else's list you can go ahead and add it, and if you want, add an opinion of your own to the movie ^_^

ps: you're talking about Operation Petticoat. It's been on TCM a lot. I like it but it's not my top 30. Not saying it can't be your top 30 :D
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Kevin » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:15 am

Star Wars
Episode IV: A New Hope

This is the only star wars I will put in the top 30. Why? It was the first 100% feel good Sci-Fi movie in over a decade where a clear majority of shows at the theaters were absolute crap (some exceptions, but the years of 1969-1978 had very few gems). Though I am clearly too young to have seen it when it first came out, the reason why it's in the top 30 is NOT because of plot (plot was weak), it is NOT because of the acting (acting wasn't stupendous because the plot was weak), and it was NOT because of the special effects (though they were pretty good).

It is in the top 30 because for so long, the end of the sixties and throughout the seventies, there was nothing in the way of outlandish fantastical theatrical movies. NOTHING! Between Superman and Star Wars, the movie industry lost the meaning of fantasy.

Star Wars and Superman both broke the dry spell, and without a block busting movie like Star Wars and Superman, Hollywood probably would've waited another 4-5 years before attempting anything like it ever again.

Speaking of which:

Superman

Nothing was as powerful or awe inspiring on the screen, or on the T.V. screen to kids everywhere as watching a man with a deep voice such as Christopher Reeve turn himself from a bumbling fool, into a flying man of justice!

When it hit the theaters, people everywhere believed that Man could Fly!!!!!!!!!

Despite the rape of Lex Luthor's character (turning him into a 2 bit nobody), Christopher Reeve was the First and Last Great superman to hit the Big Screen, not to mention the LAST great Superman I've seen. He was a jock who could act. That's what we needed for Superman.

What have we gotten since then? Superman III, Superman IV, and a Deadbeat dad in Superman Returns who's as thin as a twig (which supposedly happens between Superman III and IV wiping them from history). The only GOOD thing about Superman Returns is Kevin Spacey's Lex Luthor (gone from 2 bit nobody to a Maffia like Corporate Villain).

But, at the very least, Superman in 1978 gave us an amazing look at what it would be like to have a real superman on the big screen. He's also an honest to god hero you want kids to idolize. It's a shame DC Comics has butchered him and everyone else in their comic books since then. I don't think we're gonna get another "Grown Up" hero like 1978 Superman for a long time.
Last edited by Kevin on Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Kevin » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:28 pm

i'm grouping all three of these together for a very important reason:

Alien
Nightmare on Elm Street
Fright Night

All three of these movies defined the last true horror films of the 20th century.

They are horror in every respect:
* Jump
* Intellectual
* Supernatural

Even though Alien is clearly a Science Fiction Horror, it brought elements of superstitious fear into Sci Fi without resorting to blatant supernatural in such a seamless way, that it gives you, the viewer, a sense of fear that "We don't understand it so how can we be sure we can kill it or defend ourselves!"

Even with Ripley as the cool headed main character who can think herself out of anything, you see an underlaying fear of "I'm doing everything right but this *($#%@ thing won't die!!!!!!!!"

Fright Night is the ONLY and I repeat ONLY "modern" age Dracula Story that has EVER been true to the aspects of Horror that Dracula is supposed to represent. Forget that Rice trash, or that World of Darkness trash, this movie is about EVIL.

Chris Sarandon doesn't go around being broody, self imposed exile from the world because Oh the Humans don't understand him! HE IS A RUTHELESS MURDERER! He is EVIL not "Goth". That is what made him Dracula. That is what made this movie HORROR.

Nightmare on Elm Street encapsulates all elements of prime horror that have been used From Nosferatu through to Hitchcock and Spielberg (Jaws) and capitalizes on them in such a way that cannot be denied. Friday the 13th was nothing. Halloween was nothing. You knew nothing of the bad guys or the horror they represented, only that they walk really slow and can't be shot. Big deal. Freddy you knew everything about him, and it was the main character's own failure to know their past, know themselves, or know their parents that caused him to prey on them. He was a predator. A vile, disgusting man who preyed on the weak and helpless out of vengeance. That is what made this movie pure horror.

I am so disappointed in so called horror movies since then. They are nothing compared to these three giants. "Jump" effect is not a qualification for horror. Gore by the buckets is not a qualification for Horror.

It is the script.
It is the emotion of BOTH the evil and the good.
It is the vulgarity of the acts NOT necessarily seen on screen.
It is the unknown even when you think you know it.
It is about intelligence not stupidity.
It is not about being told to chop your own arm off, it is about the unpredictability of what will happen next. Where both villain and hero change their plans step by step to match each other.
It is not about idiotic "sudden twists" that appear out of no where, it is about plot evolution where the characters are forced to adapt to each moment.

You try to name one other horror flick that came after those movies and you will find they more than likely lack the appropriate qualities encapsulated by those three movies.
Last edited by Kevin on Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Recca_Phoenix » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:36 pm

Well, after much difficulty, I finally have a list of 30. Now, to actually write about all of 'em. And yea, they aren't in any particular order.

Rififi

Rififi is the greatest heist movie ever made. The elaborate planning and plotting lets you see all the observations that go into "the plan," and gets you excited for the big job. There's a great nightclub the gang goes to, where a very inventive song and dance with a shadow and a singer takes place (the song is called "Rififi" too):

And the heist itself....WOW. Almost 15 minutes of nothing but ambient noise....talk about suspense. Ohter movies may do it with awesome music in the right places (ala Psycho), but Rififi does it with silence. It works so well mostly because it's at night (in a quiet part of town) and because part of the job involves disabling the alarm system in the jewelry store; every second you're just waiting to hear that bell go off.
What's also neat is that this film goes significantly beyond the heist. I won't spoil anything for you here about how or why, but it exceeds your expectations of where the plot should end and how. I like a movie with an unpredictable plot, and Rififi is no exception.
So, not only is it the greatest jewel heist movie ever, it's also an amazing film regardless of genre.

(I heard they're actually planning a remake of Rififi this year or next year, with Al Pacino in it. I don't expect it to top, or even equal, the original).
Now translating:
Recca_Phoenix

Tezuka Nut

Postby cmoon » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:29 am

Kevin> Just some feedback:

I have to argue with you on Star Wars which was MARVELOUS regarding special effects for its time, but plot wise was nothing more than a cowboy adventure in space. I agree that you may wonder where films were like at this time, but this doesn't mean there was nothing but rubbish.

The late 60's and 70's, like now were very hard times for the US and their films reflect this. Instead of producing happy films we see films like Get Carter (the original), The French Connection, Bring Me the head of Alfredo Garcia, etc. Very hard-hitting films. The science fiction was definitely there, and some of it was GREAT, but it was not 'outlandish fantastical' feel-good fare because in general, people weren't making that film.

At this point, Star Wars is so iconic it is hard to argue with it (I saw it several times in the theatre at the age of 5!), but I can't come to terms with the idea of Lucas being a good director (he isn't) or the far superior Empire not being on your list. Directed by SOMEONE OTHER THAN Lucas, Empire ushers in all the sophistication that Star Wars hinted at and is willing to take more risks. As, what, 8 year olds? We were willing to gobble it up; and amazingly the film still stands up well now.

Ugh, anyway, I hate that Lucas argument that 'nothing good was coming out of the time', because he was wrong. Lucas has never really understand science fiction, and the brooding, ponderous films that were around at the time completely flew over his head.

As an aside, I also know my sense in horror is very different than most. Slasher films do nothing for me at all. Only Alien of the three you mentioned do I find scary, and that is because of the psychology horror, the descent into hell, the decay of all normality, and at last a transformation into something beyond--maybe more horrible, it is hard to say. I can count the movies that do this on one hand, the rest really aren't scary to me.
"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby Kevin » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:29 am

Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Next

Return to Offtopic