[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Top 30 Movies of All Time

Top 30 Movies of All Time

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Postby Kevin » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:45 am

For personal reasons I'm not listing any movie I consider to have strong Racist overtones. And King Kong's "Ooga Booga" men qualify. Though King Kong was a technological marvel, with new equipment designed specifically for the movie, I'm not listing it on my list for the same reasons that I refuse to list "Birth of a Nation" or "The General" (Buster Keaton's character was a confederate trying to save the south from the Union Aggressors).

If I were going to do a list of "Top 30 Movies which advanced Technology", then those movies would be listed along with the Matrix, Star Wars Episodes 1-3 (Amazing F/X, super ultra crappy plots, though I do admit I refused to watch episode 2 and 3 longer than 10 minutes on HBO. lol).
New E-Library! http://thelibrary.ninjanezumi.com/
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby Kevin » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:50 am

Lilies of the Field

This 1963 film won Sidney Poitier the first Oscar for a black man in a leading role in 1964.

There's nothing really "heavy" about the film. The direction is more or less average (good average). There is no massively spectacular cinematography. What this movie does have are two great actors (well technically one is an actress), a decent plot, and a psychological evaluation of every main character from a 3rd person perspective - the camera.

Unlike the Ten Commandments, this movie has nothing to do with religion outside of the fact there are nuns who want a shappel, there's a priest at one point, and Sydney sings that A--men song. The plot is completely a psychological work.

The end of the movie is a sad one, but a necessary and comedic one at that. The nuns and the handyman have to separate and live their own lives.

"Sank you."
"No, THANK you."
"You're welcome!"
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Kevin » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:18 am

I have 20 so far:
2001: A Space Odyssey
Blade Runner
Ghostbusters
Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas
Father Goose
Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
Superman
Alien
Nightmare on Elm Street
Fright Night
The Shining - 1985
Godzilla 1954/1955
The 47 Ronin 1941-1942
Inherit the Wind
Rocky
The Great Dictator
Judgment at Nuremberg
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
The Ten Commandments
Lilies of the Field
Forbidden Planet
The Day the Earth Stood Still

So I gotta think of 10 more. I mean 8 more :wink:

Let's stick some archaic sci fi into the mix:

Forbidden Planet

While many people, many ignorant people, love to claim Metropolis and From the Earth to the Moon were the sci fi inspirations for George Lucas and Gene Roddenberry, fact is more was stolen/used from Forbidden Planet than any other sci fi film to date.

Forbidden Planet is one of two sci fi pictures which are literally the parents of modern science fiction.

The Metropolis movie had wasn't sci fi, rather, it was entirely against the Nazi movement, and only LONG AFTER the war when it was realized that the Nazis seized and burnt specific "Jewish" iconic emblems and priests out of the movie did Metropolis even remotely affect the modern world. By that time we already had the Flash Gordon Serials.

From the Earth to the Moon was seen as the first BUTCHERING of a novel to motion picture. It was so decried by people at the time it wasn't until it was re-released that people used it as a piece of comedy. Yes, many of the clips were very funny in that show.

Forbidden Planet, however, had EVERYTHING Flash Gordon, Metropolis, and live TV sci-fi teleplays, and more. It was the first true adventure into space using science as a primary backdrop more than a baseless theatrical plot device.

Just for laughs, visit this site : http://www.moongadget.com/origins/forbidden.html

Though more than just star wars, without TFP we wouldn't have Star Trek. From color schemes, Robby the Robot to starship registry, FP has influenced more directors, more franchises, and more literary works (even Dune), than any other sci fi in the history of mankind.

It also gave us one of the greatest slap stick comedic talents of all kind. Can you recognize the actor who played J. J. Adams in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y4crGU7 ... re=related

The Day the Earth Stood Still

This is probably the most frightening Sci-Fi films ever made. Not frightening because of an insane computer, not frightening because of an alien bursting out of someone's chest, not frightening because of some bugs jumping around hacking heads off, not frightening because of an intergalactic predator ripping out spinal cords:

This movie is frightening for these reasons:

* Overreaction of a single stupid human entity which causes mass hysteria.
* Meeting an Alien Race that says: "Stop being morons or we'll toast your sorry butts."

If GORT landed today, and said to the human race: "We won't kill you if you can manage to stop being idiots and morons."

Do you honestly think we'd survive the night?

We are out int he universe looking for intelligent life, but what if that life comes back to us saying: "You're a bunch of imbeciles! IF you don't wisen up we're gonna take you out for our own safety!" With people like Sarah Palin in our political soup, do you honestly believe we're top of the food chain?

Oh yeah this movie broke a bunch of ground too. The science in this fiction is mostly sociological and psychological rather than hard science.

I'm waiting to pass judgment on Keanu Reeves new version of this movie. I still don't know if it's a remake or a sequel.
Last edited by Kevin on Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby cmoon » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:23 pm

re: Kong vs. strong racist overtones> While I agree that Kong can't be stripped of its time and place, including the imagery of natives which might make some people uncomfortable (Jungle Emperor anyone?), I actually don't really buy into any real, intentional racism; like Birth of a Nation. I also am disappointed you only consider it a technical marvel and not a good movie in any other respect (Carl Denim comes off as one of the more interesting characters of early cinema, at least to me--and I find it ironic that when all is said and done, he seems to be the only one who really gets the significance of it and feels sad for Kong.) Anyway, maybe I'll list it somewhere; I'm really not afraid of movies with latent cultural baggage. I mean, we'd never be able to watch looney tunes, if it came down to that!

re: Lillies of the field. Absolutely great film that's been more or less lost in the shuffle. There are definitely a few moments from the film (I don't want to give them away) that feel as relevant now than they certainly must have when the film was made.
"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby Kevin » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:29 pm

re: TDTESS

Dude, my point wasn't that I believe aliens are going to come to earth and be smarter than man. My point was it's scary to imagine "What if aliens come to earth and are so afraid of our STUPIDITY that they give us an ultimatum." And if you say there aren't any stupid humans like that shown in this movie I'm gonna have to just pimp slap you. I live with knowing people this stupid every day. Namely, Sarah Palin supporters.

Forbidden Planet:

Sorry I always thought THE was in the movie. I change it now.

concerning Kong to both of you :

Dude, I've seen movies done at that time which are far superior to King Kong. I have been boggled by people telling me how great a movie it is, when it drags on like a biznatch, no decent plot, and poor direction.

The Ooga Booga men are the worst stereotypes of Island natives who sacrifice to their lord, with giant wide opened white eyes, ridiculous gear, and extremely poor anthropological "science" spouted off by the tour guide who openly says they are a Lesser Species/Inherently Inferior. Jeffbert, I know the difference between regular stereotypes such as artistic representations, and bigoted "White's are Superior" racism. Are you honestly telling me you guys don't remember that anthropologist give his little statement on how blacks are inherently inferior? Or could it be you watched an edited version of that movie?

The 1933 Gorilla Worshiping "Monkey Men" are racist.

I don't condemn Keaton, I condemn the idea that the South was Wrongfully Aggressed upon by the Union Army, and I will not list any movie that supports the ideals of the south and the south rising again on my list.

You guys can go ahead and toss those movies onto your lists, but they ain't goin' on mine :P

I mean seriously, make your own lists danget :P

:D

Now you guys want an example of stereotyped mainstreamed depiction of "natives" without it being racist here's one which I was saving towards the end:

TARZAN
The Johnny Weissm
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Kevin » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:33 am

Lawrence of Arabia

Someone already has this on their list, so I'm just adding another point to their points:

Lawrence of Arabia was the first real view the public had into the western world's involvement of Middle Eastern Affairs in the 20th century, and shed some light onto how much of the distrust between the Islamic and western world was rekindled with mishandling of Arab allies. Not only that, but it also gives a glimpse into the distrust and mishandling that the Arabic tribes committed against themselves.
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Recca_Phoenix » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:14 am

*clears throat*
Er...yes...

The 400 Blows
This is a film that most anyone can enjoy/relate to. And whether you're a "film person" or not, it's very very good. It's the story of a delinquent schoolboy who is tragically prone to mistakes and misdemeanors that he doesn't see the consequences of. The main character, Antoine, is smarter than many of the adults around him. It's hilarious (and sometimes heartbreaking) to watch, and is the basis for one of the best school rebellion films out there (and another one of my top 30), Lindsay Anderson's if..... The score for this film is great, and it was one of the masterpieces of the French New Wave (and easily the most accessible). It's a fun-filled romp in many ways, and it references some wonderful earlier films as well. I never get tired of seeing this wonderful movie....don't we all wish we were this cool as a kid? (or regret that we were?)
Now translating:
Recca_Phoenix

Tezuka Nut

Postby Kevin » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:59 am

Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby UnluckyLukeGR » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:17 am

UnluckyLukeGR

Tezuka Nut

Postby Kevin » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:29 am

Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Kevin » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:16 am

Akira Kurosawa's 7 Samurai and the Akira approved: Magnificent 7

Both movies stand up to each other on equal footing so I'm sticking them in the same slot. I have to list The Magnificent 7 because Akira not only loved it, and was asked for permission to do it, but, he openly stated that he had wanted to write a Western and that's why he wrote Seven Samurai, Yojimbo and the REMAKE of Yojimbo - Last Man Standing (which was a Westernized GANGSTER Movie no less).

The man managed to create scripts and situations which could literally be translated into ANY Film Genre, ANY Language, and ANY social atmosphere. Seven Samurai was the first such mega successful attempt by this Film Director/Writer.

Yeah yeah yeah, a lot of people try to say that the litigation of the Magnificent 7 was Kurosawa being upset with the film and hating the Americanization. That fact couldn't be further from the truth. The litigation over the Magnificent 7 was actually between the Director, the first American Screenwriter, and the On Set Screen Writer. Akira was so enamored with his show being remade as a western he couldn't get over it (in a good way), especially so since much of the script dialogue, let alone plot, was lifted from his words. The one thing he did regret in his original film, which he thought was an improvement in the remake, was giving more character to the head bandit.

I believe this can be seen in Kurosawa's re-write of Yojimbo, when he was hired by Bruce Willis to re-write/remake the show, and it was turned into the Western/Gangster flick Last Man Standing. More characterization was given to the warring families, in what I believe was a far more successful rewrite than Fist Full of Dollars. Akira had nothing to do with Fist Full of Dollars, however it is my understanding he liked that movie too (he was a big fan of Westerns, and was heavily influenced by silent film westerns).

I listed these other movies so you understand why I chose Seven Samurai. Many people don't realize the cross-cultural impact this film had. People are still trying to recapture what was done in Akira's original and his approved remake the Magnificent 7, but I don't think anyone can.

Fact is, Akira broke down walls with not just the movie, but his willingness to work and encourage other directors, other actors, other writers to take his same material and give their own performances. You hear about so many directors and writers being so selfish over their works, they don't want anyone to make anything even remotely resembling it, that I just like to remind people what can happen if you'd just work together.
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Kevin » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:34 pm

Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet 1996

This is the quintessential Hamlet, uncut. Not even standard play stages give you the uncut version (or a version as little hacked to death as this one is). When contrasted against Mel Gibson's Hamlet it demonstrates without argument the absolute failure of Hollywood to produce actors capable of handling any piece of classical acting.

Kenneth Branagh manages to take Shakespeare's words and direct them in such a way that you can fully understand the action even if you don't "get" the words.

This movie did more for Shakespeare, classical acting, and classical movies, than any other movie before it.

edit: 1200th post :D
Last edited by Kevin on Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby cmoon » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:22 am

Seven Samurai on equal footing with Magnificent seven??? OK, that one's new.

I agree with half of the above post :P

Anyway, I'll nominate it as well:

Kurosawa's The Seven Samurai along with Yojimbo both absorbed everything from the western and reinvented it (simultaneously redefining the western genre and probably single-handedly creating the Euro-western.) All that aside though, Seven Samurai is simply one of the greatest films ever made.

There is a very lean, desperation to the film. Everyone is absolutely poor beyond measure (even the bandits) and there is nothing really in the way of evil portrayed--everyone is just struggling to survive. The 'samurai' sit beyond this, because as ronin, they don't know what else to do. They agree to wage this pathetic war because that is all that's left in them to do. The film makes sure to analyze virtually every aspect of the story, from the culture of the village (including separate factions therein) to the character of each of the ronin.) There is a detailed assessment of strategy employed by the ronin, and you see it played out in real time. There is enormous character drama as well, but it never feels overplayed, but always natural.

Technically, the film was also incredibly innovative for its time. Their are long shots employed throughout that have earned the film high regard and it is widely imitated.

This film belongs near the top of a list of top films. It is easy for me to dismiss it when people say they don't like Citizen Kane (seemingly a class or a really detailed FAQ is required for people to understand the film), but Seven Samurai is raw, immediate, and no less potent than the day it was made. Although I will always love Kurosawa for his films Stray Dog, Yojimbo and Ran; Seven Samurai is his best, and one of the greatest films of all time.
"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby Kevin » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:22 am

Well, I had to put them together because without both of them the seven samurai wouldn't have been as potent as it was and I was making another point about films which transcend cultures. Plus, Akira loved the westernized remake so I just had to. :wink:

And yes, you are right cmoon, the technological achievements in direction and what not were excellent.
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Jeffbert » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:43 pm

I loved the Seven Samurai & also think highly of Magnificent Seven. However, the former film has an element the latter clearly lacks: that of Takashi Shimura’s proud Samurai character Kambei severing his topknot and shaving his head. I had no appreciation for this act until I ran the commentary track; while it did give an explanation, it referred to another film , which really gave a non-Japanese the true understanding of the topknot’s value. I think it was also set in about the same time as Seven Samurai. Harakiri is a very intense drama, having little action, but very well choreographed.

Any film starring both Takashi Shimura & Toshir
Jeffbert

PreviousNext

Return to Offtopic