[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Top 30 Movies of All Time

Top 30 Movies of All Time

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Postby Kevin » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:33 pm

The element you're talking about is in the Magnificent Samurai, only it is diluted and they did switched characters. Many people get slightly bewildered by the Magnificent 7 because the character translations aren't straight translations.

For instance, the drunkard who claimed he was a samurai in the Seven Samurai is combined with the young kid in the Magnificent 7.

But if you also notice, the Kid in the Magnificent 7 is the one who lays down his arms as a gunslinger. Unlike in the Seven Samurai when the kid just decides to stay but keeps his sword, in the Magnificent 7 it's made very clear that he will never pick up a gun again, and that he was and always will be a Farmer.

You are right though, there are no Top Knots, but that's a socially limited statement to Japan. I have to watch my Magnificent 7 dvd again, but I think that the Kid actually takes off his Gunbelt and lays it down when he goes back to the woman (note she does not chase after him). Remember, in most Westerns, when a gunslinger takes their gun off in that fashion (at the end of the movie, with no real reason to take it off), it means they are retired.

Anyway, Both movies have things that the other movies lacked. Magnificent 7 does have more explanation of why the bad guys are bad. Seven Samurai have more of the Samurai Code of Honor and the dying Feudal era.

I love them both, Akira loved them both, and think that if anyone watches one, they should watch the other ^_^

Ditto for Yojimbo and Last Man Standing (both were written by Akira).
New E-Library! http://thelibrary.ninjanezumi.com/
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby cmoon » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:05 am

"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby cmoon » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:09 am

cmoon

Postby UnluckyLukeGR » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:45 am

UnluckyLukeGR

Tezuka Nut

Postby Kevin » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:51 am

Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby cmoon » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:08 am

cmoon

Postby Kevin » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:52 am

Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby cmoon » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:37 pm

cmoon

Postby Kevin » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:26 pm

Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby cmoon » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:03 pm

Ambiguity =/= your opinion is right.

images considered racist by you 70 +/- years after their creation doesn't grant your opinion as unquestionable authority.

I only meant to raise the issue that this non-ambiguous ending in Magnificent Seven is imo an artistic blunder. I don't like it and I think it weakens the film; but the film isn't nearly as strong as Seven Samurai anyway.

I've said all I have to say elsewhere and I don't want to have to split another thread.
cmoon

Postby Kevin » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:28 am

cmoon, do you think Jet died in Avatar?

Provide to me proof that the "tarbaby" image was ever not racist and you can have that argument.
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby cmoon » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:50 am

If you want to keep that conversation going, let's take it to PMs. It isn't that the conversation doesn't belong anywhere, but there are several of your points that I am critical of that honestly could look more like I am being critical of you, and I don't think that belongs on the public board, which is why I have no removed myself from 3 debates with you.

As said, my criticism wasn't meant to derail your thread, so why don't you go ahead with what you were doing.
cmoon

Postby Kevin » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:35 am

lol cmoon, I know you're not being critical of me. It's all cool. Seriously dude, I debate on the star trek messageboards with people who really do personal attacks. If you want to check it out click on these links:
http://boards.startrek.com/community/me ... t=33320250
http://boards.startrek.com/community/me ... t=33319979

Seriously dude, calm down. We're no where near that level ;) (I'm TrekkieForAsimov btw)

The only clarification I am going to make before I stop replying is that each one of the times you started to debate the point with me it was you who initiated the debates, not me.

8)

But that's all cool. Ok, so back to the regularly scheduled program.
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Kevin » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:49 am

Catch 22

Now, while I haven't read the book all the way through, I did take copies of pages from the book and confirmed that the portions of the book which I read were used in the movie translation. So I don't think too much was cut, but I should read the book anyway.

This movie is a direct statement against most Aggressed Wars. Taking off from the book, I believe much of it remains intact. It is very anti-corporate as well, and openly discusses the evils of privatizing the military, or using war as a tool to support economy of one or more non-government entities. It further goes into corruption of government and military.
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

What I like in movies

Postby Jeffbert » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:26 pm

Jeffbert

PreviousNext

Return to Offtopic