[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - PC vs. Art (debate from top 30 movies)

PC vs. Art (debate from top 30 movies)

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Postby Jeffbert » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:00 pm

I do not confuse stereotypical characteristics with racism. Your reference to the gibberish of the island natives is simply insufficient to make your case. That was just the standard of the day. While I would applaud any depictions of Blacks as intelligent and civilized (Tezuka’s Dr. Ram is one such example (In Astroboy’s original ‘Atlas’ story; )) I consider it unfair to judge people of earlier days by modern standards.

There were a few of the old zombies as mind-numbed slaves films that featured Mantan Moreland who was known for his portrayal of the stereotypical ignorant superstitious and cowardly Negro.
. While I still consider his portrayals as offensive in that they reinforce the stereotype, they were consistent with the overall beliefs of the mainstream. However, these characters were far more offensive than the ‘natives’ of King Kong and other films because these people were at least somewhat educated and living in enlightened societies rather than being nearly naked savages whose ignorance and superstitions dominated their lives.

Likewise, I would not condemn Keaton for his portrayal of a Confederate in “The General” because it was not the racism that was important to the plot, but rather the underdog fighting against enormous odds that was the focus of this film. I would not like any confusion here, though; so let me make it clear that I do differentiate between the German Soldier who is fighting a clean war and the SS Death Camp guard or the member who is attempting to eradicate the very last Jews before the Allies liberate that town. Thus, as Buster Keaton’s character was not trying to afflict any blacks or any other negative thing, I can clearly identify with his situation: the guy was simply overwhelmed by the situation, but rather than quitting, he continued to fight. The average Confederate soldier cared little for preserving the slavery of the Confederacy, but, rather, wanted to preserve the region’s autonomy. I really do not want to go off topic, so, I will cease here; I think I have made myself clear.

What is with your inserting ‘The’ into the titles “Forbidden Planet” and ‘Metropolis’? Neither of these films have ‘the’ in their titles!

The Day the Earth Stood Still:
What makes you or anyone for that matter assume that aliens have risen above the desire to dominate others of their own species? Human behavior is a bit more extreme than most other species in its desire to dominate; wolves allow the losers to live, so long as they know their place. However, consider the tortoise. Death to the loser of the battle, he is left lying on his back, unable to roll over, doomed to die. The winner cares nothing about him; he simply goes on to claim the spoils of war.

War is simply the logical conclusion to personal differences; as we have organized ourselves into larger and larger groups, we tend to take conflicts to larger and larger scales. Which group controls the resources? In some areas, it may not be much of an issue, but in others, this is a matter of survival. The desire to dominate that we inherited from our ancestor species prohibits us from merely cooperating and sharing the resources. As sad as it is, war is one of many factors that limit human population growth. It is ironic that the people who decry war are the same people who also gripe about the population explosion. As we have all but eliminated other natural checks on our population growth, war is one of the few remaining ones. Cooperation is desirable, but there is the hidden cost of unchecked population growth.

We live in the real world, we must reserve idealism for children's stories.
Jeffbert

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby Jeffbert » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:10 pm

Jeffbert

Postby Kevin » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:19 pm

New E-Library! http://thelibrary.ninjanezumi.com/
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby cmoon » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:17 am

Hahahaha! Have you ever read Tarzan...it is COMPLETELY racist! Also, completely hysterical. I love the old pulps!

King Kong not a good movie? Jesus on a pogo-stick! and my opinion of your opinion was soaring after you listed Lillies of the field!

Oooga-booga natives are 4 real!!!111

Edit: Oh man, don't you dare talk crap about Rudyard Kipling. Me, Jack London, and all the great authors of the non-PC children's lit world (boo-ya!) will spank you like a school girl :twisted:
Last edited by cmoon on Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby Jeffbert » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:10 am

Jeffbert

Postby Kevin » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:20 am

Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby cmoon » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:03 am

cmoon

Postby Kevin » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:46 am

dude it's not that they were worshiping kong, it was the guy talking about how they were inherently inferior.

The monkey people I'm talking about are in the Jungle Book:

Bandar-log

They were monkeys, but Bandar-log means Monkey People literal translation in Hindi. That's where a lot of complaints come in. They also gloat about having no ruler/king.

Disney version made them less objectionable and actually gave them a King -- King Louie.

Though I doubt Kipling is racist, I mean, he was very progressive type of guy. It's still something which he should've changed in his book because there are too many problems with them.
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby cmoon » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:41 pm

cmoon

Postby Kevin » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:09 pm

Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby cmoon » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:51 am

cmoon

Postby Jeffbert » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:18 am

Jeffbert

Postby Kevin » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:23 am

Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Kevin » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:34 am

Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby cmoon » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:18 am

Last edited by cmoon on Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
cmoon

Next

Return to Offtopic