[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Coraline is AWESOME!

Coraline is AWESOME!

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Coraline is AWESOME!

Postby Tetsu Deinonychus » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:14 am

Went to see Coraline this past Sunday (last chance to see it in 3D), and it was bloody fantastic!

The story was excellent. It's your basic "young heroine discovers a nightmarish alternate world" story (and I loves me some nightmarish alternaworlds).

The story was written by the awesome Neil Gaiman, and I cheered when I saw his name in the opening credits (I didn't know he wrote it until then). And, this isn't like that sucktacular Beowulf movie. Neil was truly Neil here.

I also cheered when I saw that French and Saunders were in it. And, yes they voice two characters that were perfect for them.

Anyway, if your list of favourite movies includes Labyrinth, Pan's Labyrinth, Mirrormask, Spirited Away, Wizard Of Oz, or Alice In Wonderland (and mine does). This is your kind of movie!

The animation was splendid too! The makers of this movie said 3D was perfect for stop-motion because the advantage of stop-motion is that everything you're watching physically exists.

And, that certainly plays out in moments involving a cloth tunnel (you really feel like you're going through it too), and when they show a close-up of tea leaves. The fact that it's real cloth and real tea add a nice touch of reality that makes the unreality stand out even more.

Semi Spoilers: Highlight to read.
Some stunning images include anything involving the ghost children. And, towards the end when the world literally falls apart (that might have been CG, but if it was, it blended with the stop-motion, nicely).

The 3D was used really well (not so many gimmicky "pop-out" scare moments), and I'm glad I caught it that way. But, even without the 3D it's an impressive film.

I should also point out how dolls as a motif is so cool in this film (since stop-motion film is animation created with dolls anyway). I kinda have a phobia about dolls, but I like having that phobia played with, and that movie did it quite nicely.

Anyway, I just loved this movie! :D
Tetsu Deinonychus

Tezuka Nut

Postby Kevin » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:45 am

Coraline was fun :D

Neil only wrote the screen play, not the novel.

The CG and Stop Motion was blended throughout the movie, including the facial expressions and fog... I think it was an amazing work of blending opportunity :D
New E-Library! http://thelibrary.ninjanezumi.com/
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby Tetsu Deinonychus » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:00 am

Hmm. I wonder who wrote the novel. I'll have to check it out.

And, what you just said explains alot. I did think the water looked a little too fluid to be stop-motion.
Tetsu Deinonychus

Tezuka Nut

Postby Kevin » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:41 am

ARRGGG I'm sorry Tetsu I got my names mixed up. NEIL DID write the book, but he did not write the screen play. It was Henry Selick who wrote the screen play. Neil's original screen play was too much, and impossible to fit in 2 hours.

I just read the news article last week that explained it, it was an interview with Neil, here it is:

http://illinoistimes.com/gyrobase/Conte ... oid%3A9467

Anyway, I also found out what the ending statement was lol it was a slam against Bush.
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Tetsu Deinonychus » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:51 pm

I thought it said "based on a story by Neil Gaiman"

And, it certainly did seem like a Neil Gaiman story (even if they had to get someone else to adapt it).
Tetsu Deinonychus

Tezuka Nut

Postby Kevin » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:16 pm

Yes, it did ^_^ I was wrong in correcting you the first time I got confused :O
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Return to Offtopic