[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Manga on Your "To-Read" List

Manga on Your "To-Read" List

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Manga on Your "To-Read" List

Postby Metropolisforever_2 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:08 am

~ Diagnosed with Monmow Disease on 6/23/2010.
Metropolisforever_2

Tezuka reader

Postby F-Man » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:10 am

Absolutely anything from Osamu Tezuka, while I'm currently not interested in anything else.

I'm waiting for Next World vol. 1 to arrive in the mail (already have 2 and it looks so goood. :( )

And I haven't read my Pluto vol. 2 and 3 yet cause the rest isn't out in French yet, so I'm going as slow as possible.

For fun, I'll rate what I've read from your list, Mf_2:

MW: good storytelling but I found it to be weaker than most other Tezuka manga I've read so far cause it kind of drags in places. However I really liked some of the "intimate" moments. It's still excellent of course, cause Tezuka is just that good.

Dororo: Absolutely wonderful. Great art, strong character development, the characters are very lovable too. A real shame the series ended so fast. This is a series you pick up and can't put down, growing surprised when you've already finished a volume. After reading this, watching the movie was a real disappointment; it doesn't compare at all. And I hope you don't know the big spoiler yet, good stuff!

Pluto Vol. 1: Powerful stuff and even after already knowing the basic Astro Boy story, it feels all the more overwhelming to see the basic characters being developed to the extreme.

Phoenix: Volume 1 still remains the best manga I have ever read to this day. Of the entire Phoenix series, I thought it had the best relations between the characters. Like good fiction should do, it makes you strongly feel all sorts of emotions and not just good ones. There are times when I shouted angrily at my book. XD
As for Vol. 3, Yamato is the funniest Phoenix chapter and Space is very technically impressive.

Lost World: Very charming (The Mimio rabbit character is a highlight) and although it's quite simple, I thought it was better than the Metropolis manga. The art looks a bit flabby though.
I'm on .
F-Man

Tezuka Expert

Postby Metropolisforever_2 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:13 am

I plan on reading the entire Phoenix series. So far, I've read Renaissance, Karma, and Future. Renaissance was powerful and moving; the best one I've read so far. Karma is supposed to be the best, but I actually thought it was the weakest.
Metropolisforever_2

Tezuka reader

Postby F-Man » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:17 am

I also was not that impressed by Karma. My top three would be Dawn, Civil War and the Sun. However, the anime film based on Karma was my favorite adaptation of the Phoenix manga, lol. Maybe I was disappointed by the manga because it didn't have most of the best moments from the film.
I'm on .
F-Man

Tezuka Expert

Postby Metropolisforever_2 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:19 am

Where did you see the Karma film?

The only Phoenix anime I've been able to find are:

Space Firebird 2772 (I have a fansubbed version of it on my computer)

The new TV series (available on DVD)
Metropolisforever_2

Tezuka reader

Postby Metropolisforever_2 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:36 pm

Metropolisforever_2

Tezuka reader

Postby Metropolisforever_2 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:01 pm

Metropolisforever_2

Tezuka reader

Postby grapeofdeath » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:51 pm

grapeofdeath

Tezuka reader

Postby Metropolisforever_2 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:17 am

Added:

Gyo, Volume 1 - Junjo Ito

Junko Mizuno's Cinderalla

Junko Mizuno's Hansel and Gretel

Junko Mizuno's Princess Mermaid

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Volume 1 - Hayao Miyazaki
Metropolisforever_2

Tezuka reader

Postby Xenops » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:08 pm

Barefoot Gen is a worthwhile read, because it gives you a picture of what Japan was going through during WWII. I would put it in my "Books that Changed My Life" list, along with Alex Haley's novel "Roots".

Manga I have yet to read:

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Volume 1 - Hayao Miyazaki

Ode to Kirihito -- Osamu Tezuka

Apollo's Song-- " "

Manga I have yet to finish:

Naoki Urasawa's "Monster"

Black Butler --Yana Toboso

Rurouni Kenshin --Nobuhiro Watsuki

Black Jack -- Osamu Tezuka
Xenops

Tezuka Nut

Return to Offtopic