[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Other hobbies

Other hobbies

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Other hobbies

Postby cmoon » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:30 pm

Well this is a case where maybe we have two many forums (probably introductions and offtopic should be consolidated); regardless, I want to get something going here in off-topic other than just being where I go to delete spam.

Sure we all read Tezuka (should be the law) but what else do we do, what else is there to discuss. Don't be a wallflower, share your hobbies!

Me:
-Intense music collector since late 80's
-Run a small music label (can't be called a business 'coz there's no money in it!)
-Go to lots of music shows (see the pattern here?)
-Passionate about biology (specifically evolution, ecology, genetics, preserving biodiversity, animal behavior, natural history, etc.) --for me, going to a museum is a party!
-Indie and foreign cinema
-graphic design (totally amateur, but whatever)
-Chess (why do am I so lowsy at it?)
-Hiking, camping, biking, sailing, just getting outdoors.

Holy crap, I sound like I'm trying to get an internet date, but what I really want is to hear what other people are into, and then we can have a proper off-topic conversation.

Oh, one other thing, I'm big into this very small number of artists who seem to have a really unique voice. I mean, look at Tezuka in writing Nostalgia. Here he was, loved by everyone in Japan, but Nostalgia showed me his own isolation and that there was still part of him that was still writing about that solitude (I think all deeply creative people feel this). I've found a few others (not as talented as Tezuka though) who seem to write from somewhere else. I don't know if anyone else would see this connection (maybe I'm hallucinating it), but I am always get passionate about these artists who can speak on a deep and personal level--that can speak intimately without it seeming silly. Ironically, Tezuka is the most popular artists of this ilk I've found, but I think that's just because he was both ultra-talented and knew how to work things. No artist wants to be poor and hungry.
"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby strobe_z » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:00 am

strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby Huscheli » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:00 pm

Other hobbies? What's that? Just kidding :)

Besides Tezuka stuff, I love to collect "My little pony" ponys and nice movie toys. I also like other, non-asian comics very much like "Blacksad" or something like that.

Here you can see some of my ponies.
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/9373/g1ponys2ew7.jpg

I also like to draw. Most times it's fanart. Here you can see some of my drawings:
http://www.sscans.anime.ch/fanzone/orig ... el_art.htm
http://www.sscans.anime.ch/fanzone/fanart/fanart.htm (Just click on the stuff made by "Huscheli")
And I just did my first Tezuka Fanarts. ^^ (But this counts under "Tezuka" again I think lol)
Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Postby cmoon » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:08 pm

The drawings are really nice. I have a friend who just finished college and at the beginning her drawings were much the same (very good but still looking like fan art), but by the time she was done with school (and with a lot of hard work), her illustration had just gone through the roof and become something else--really amazing! Stick with it; I know college can drag you down (there are huge parts of my own life where I didn't have time to do anything creative too) and I'm sure you'll be drawing things soon that make people drop their jaws!
cmoon

Postby Huscheli » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:28 pm

Thank you! ^_^
Yes I hardly find time to be creative right now. During christmas I could do some stuff but otherwise it was pretty sad. I even think I got worse in drawing, compared to a year before haha. ^^'
But I just can't stop. There are times I just have to draw and I really hope I can still improve myself beside college, like your friend.
I'll try. Right now I'd really like to buy and learn to use a graphic tablet and I hope I can make better pictures with it. (At least the colors would be better haha.)
Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Postby Amrith » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:55 pm

Amrith

Tezuka Expert

Postby cmoon » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:11 am

cmoon

Postby Huscheli » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:20 am

Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Postby cmoon » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:26 am

cmoon

Postby Ash » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:33 am

Next to Tezuka I read _a lot_ of other manga. I've a pretty diverse collection (but mostly shounen, diverse titels ;)) from Takahashi Rumiko, Aoyama Gosho, Toriyama Akira and so many other I'm not even going to try to count. Let's say I stopped really counting my manga after I crossed the 400 tankoubon count, too much to be bothered with ~_~

I've less with anime, though I still often enjoy to watch them. In the last years taken my interest to the Dutch manga/anime scene and often write articles about series and games in the only Dutch popular Japanese culture magazine.

I've also a great interest in early to Golden Age detective novels. Golden Age, so that would mean from Poe's Dupin till the great era of Christie, Queen and Chesterton. "The grandest game in the world" as it was called, who doesn't like to match wits with the authors? Still have a lot to read, though I've had most of the biggest names. Now only to find shelfspace for my manga and books ^_~

And videogames. Gigantic backlog awaiting playtime, even in the vacation. Aaargh. I play mostly console RPG's, adventures, beat'm ups and the sort of games most sites gather on the name "misc.". Shenmue, Steambot Chronicles, Phoenix Wright, the cool games :P
"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth" - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God
Ash

Tezuka Nut

Postby Huscheli » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:00 am

Last edited by Huscheli on Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Postby Ash » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:21 am

"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth" - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God
Ash

Tezuka Nut

Postby deadbeatpete » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:41 am

deadbeatpete

Tezuka reader

Postby cmoon » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:33 pm

cmoon

Postby EnRiN » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:49 pm

Besides Tezuka ... that's a difficult question...

First, I'm crazy about anime. It started more than 4 years ago after seeing series I used to watch when I was a child. (Albator, Capitaine Flam, Ulysse 31). I was very fond of Leiji Matsumoto's works but my interest in more recent series / mangas was deeper and deeper.
I think I prefer space opera, science fiction , series involving robots but my favourite anime is Juuni Kokki / the 12 kingdoms . I really like the historical and mythological background.
Then Monster is one of my favourites too.
Otherwise, I also like Gundam (especially Z Gundam and Gundam 0083), Rahxephon, Macross )
I think I can watch almost everything if there is a good story.

I also like music and I'm keen on "old" groups (U2, The Cure, depeche Mode , Tears for fears etc..) and I like classical music too.

I don't like video games, I prefer parlour games or card games.
EnRiN

Tezuka reader

Next

Return to Offtopic