[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Moomintroll thread

Moomintroll thread

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Moomintroll thread

Postby cmoon » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:53 am

Figure there are enough fans here it is worth starting a thread we can use for such matters.

Not yet finished with the Drawn & Quarterly first volume of Moomin comics but have finished the first two stories and am really, REALLY happy with them. The second story in particular (which is short) seems to catch the mood perfect. Pappa and Mamma show up, and in conjunction with Snufkin we have that absurd, droll trio going where what starts out very normal (and innocent) always ends up getting out of control.

As always, there is the sense that simple things are the best--a sentiment that is becoming increasingly hard to grasp in the 21st century. But anyway, this last story made me want to reread moominpappa at sea again (he's always been my favorite character anyway--though few of the characters really work alone)

Anyone know when future volumes of this comic will be coming out (or have some engish fansubs of any of the animated versions released?)
"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby Ash » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:07 pm

While I haven't read the books, I used to watch the cartoons when I was little.

And a big surprise for me last summer, when I came back from summerwork and saw Moomins was back on Dutch television. I think I watched the Moomins everyday in the summer after coming back from work :P (Now it's gone though, I think Alfred J. Kwak replaced it, if someone knows that cartoon)
"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth" - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God
Ash

Tezuka Nut

Postby Path » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:33 pm

I'm not exactly sure how I originally encountered the Moomins. I only remember starting to read the series shortly before the author's death. It was exactly what I loved, a odd dreamy world that wasn't exactly happy. Moominvalley in November was particularly strange and outrigt creepy at times.

How does the anime hold up? My experience with them has only been opening and the closing credits, but the 90s version with my favorite character designer, Yasuhiro Nakura, looks like it captures the same feel of the books.
We will meet again, when the loops of time touch.
Path

Tezuka reader

Postby Huscheli » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:41 pm

Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Postby Metropolisforever » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:45 pm

In America, our children's anime lineup basically consists of mutilated 4Krap dubs.

They even removed scenes from Magical DoReMi, in which someone merely sticks their tongue out. They also removed other teasing. :roll:
THIS USER HAS BEEN BANNED.
Metropolisforever

Banned

Postby cmoon » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:19 pm

It would seem none of these animated versions/anime/claymation/whatever are available with an english subtitle. Very frustrating!
cmoon

Postby Path » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:43 am

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moomins-Richard ... B000CQK07U
The "fuzzy" Moomins are available, provided you have a region free DVD player. The 90s Moomin anime was also shown (dubbed into English) in Hawaii around the late 90s/early 2000s.

Yasuhiro Nakura's artbook has some beautiful Moomin artwork, including character designs and the storyboards for the first opening sequence.
Path

Tezuka reader

Postby cmoon » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:26 am

cmoon

Postby cmoon » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:32 pm

cmoon

Postby Path » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:31 am

Path

Tezuka reader

Postby cmoon » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:47 am

cmoon

Postby cmoon » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:36 am

Sorry to spam my own thread, but watched another half a dozen episodes tonight. The christmas episode is about the best christmas related thing I've ever seen without being sappy. Just pure 100% good feelings and charity.

I'm still amazed at how accurate these are to the book. The characters are perfectly represented (imperfections and all--and this is a pretty huge aspect), along with all the weirdness and small touches. The depiction of lonliness in the winter episodes is really something.

Ah! I've been a moomin fan for so long and never seen these. Incredible!
cmoon

Postby Path » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:33 am

:D I might pick those up myself someday, when I get a region free player. Borrowing my boyfriend's JP PS2 isn't as easy as it sounds...

I have ordered the Winter Book off Amazon.co.uk, I will let you know how it is. Also...

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Tales-of-Moomin ... dZViewItem

Looks like the dub of the 90s anime version is up on ebay. Can't say much for the voices though...Moomin himself was quite annoying.
Path

Tezuka reader

Postby cmoon » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:45 am

Yeah, I've started worrying a lot more about dubs. The puppet version (at least in german) escapes the problem by narration, and then being subtitled at that. I tried watching it with the english narration, and found that it wasn't nearly as effective (or pleasant). The idea of having the characters with voices coming directly out of their mouths, and then lowsy voices at that, seems pretty terrible.

Hahahaha, now I am thinking it would be better if more programs were just narrated (no speaking allowed)!
cmoon

Postby cmoon » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:27 am

Well I am definitely airing the 'fuzzy' moomins next week (3/7) at our local venue (AS220), probably starting around 8pm.

I know a couple of you live in Boston, you should come on down. Might actually have a good turnout as there is some interest in unique animation styles (espcially from Poland which has a bit of a reputation actually...)

Ha! I've watched a good amount of this now (about two discs), completely amazing!
cmoon

Next

Return to Offtopic