[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Animation and rarities (was 'other hobbies')

Animation and rarities (was 'other hobbies')

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Postby Huscheli » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:13 pm

Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Postby cmoon » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:22 pm

"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby Huscheli » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:01 pm

Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Postby Path » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:34 am

We will meet again, when the loops of time touch.
Path

Tezuka reader

Postby strobe_z » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:46 am

Has anyone else seen Studio Ghibli's "Pom Poko"? I wouldn't call it a "sad" movie, but it is quite sombre in places. If cmoon hasn't seen it, I highly recommend it because I think you could draw some interesting parallels between it and Tezuka's take on environmentalism/conservationism.

Basically the traditional "shape-shifting" magical racoons of Japanese lore decide to declare war on humanity in order to try and preserve their mountain home in the face of urban expansion. One of my favourite parts of the movie is when the "undercover" Racoons in Human-form realize that they're negotiating with "undercover" shape-shifting Foxes in Human-form (another mythical Japanese animal). I found it quite interesting that the foxes have adopted a "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" attitude.

Pom Poko is a bit off the Ghibli beaten path.. and I didn't really pay it much heed because it looked rather goofy, but it's become one of my favourites.
strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby Ash » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:20 am

Meh, I didn't like Pom Poko that much. It tried to hard to convey it's message IMHO, something other Ghibli movies do a lot less.

My favorite Ghibli is Laputa by the way, known it since I was a wee li'll lad and still loving it ^_^ An adventuremovie by Miyazaki pur sang.
"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth" - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God
Ash

Tezuka Nut

Postby cmoon » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:15 am

cmoon

Postby mippa » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:50 pm

Oh my GOSH I remember The Little Fox! I have been trying to find clips/anything of it ANYWHERE...

...I kinda remember Watership Down, though for me The Last Unicorn is one of those animated movies that has always stuck with me. *.* Though that one isn't nearly as underground as some of the ones you all have mentioned...
mippa

Tezuka Nut

Postby Huscheli » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:43 pm

Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Postby cmoon » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:17 am

cmoon

Postby cmoon » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:30 am

Let me also add the animation by Yori Norstein. They all seem excellent to me, but none better than Hedgehog in the fog:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRsXU4Q6a0Q

cmoon

Postby Jiminy » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:47 am

I'm really into the Norstein films at the moment. Although I favour the much darker Tale of Tales, it's only because I think his animation fits that frightened, paranoid mood which is unsettling in the Hedgehod in the Fog but downright disturbing in Tale of Tales. I only wish I knew what half of it meant - I could use the excuse that I don't speak Russian, but it was dialogue-free anyway.

I'm only familiar with the book version of Nimh, and now I think I'm glad of it. A magic amulet?
San Dimas High School football rules!
Jiminy

Tezuka Expert

Postby cmoon » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:43 am

cmoon

Postby Jiminy » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:08 am

:shock: Wow, that's a lot of unexplained changes. Now I really understand your misgivings about NIMH. I do love rich artwork and animation though, so maybe I'll rent a copy and disable the logic parts of my brain while I admire the pretty pictures. Thanks for the heads up!
San Dimas High School football rules!
Jiminy

Tezuka Expert

Postby Kevin » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:06 am

Kevin

All Tezuka all the time...

PreviousNext

Return to Offtopic