[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Animation and rarities (was 'other hobbies')

Animation and rarities (was 'other hobbies')

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Postby Jiminy » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:37 am

I finally got around to watching the Plague Dogs (influenced in no way whatsoever by your sig, cmoon :)). The animation and the story are both incredible, and The Tod...The Tod is awesome. Everything about the film is so uncertain, and it's just so powerful.

I tried to read the book many years ago, but I was a bit young at the time. Snitter complaining about the "flies" in his head has stuck with me ever since. Now I'm older and wiser I might try to unearth the book again.
San Dimas High School football rules!
Jiminy

Tezuka Expert

Postby cmoon » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:00 pm

"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby Jiminy » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:17 am

It was the unedited version (from the Aus DVD). I don't know much about the differences, except for the bit involving the hunter. That alone is a very interesting scene.

I've heard they're releasing this version in the UK soon, maybe from a nicer print as well. I'll be keeping my eye on it.
Jiminy

Tezuka Expert

Postby cmoon » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:02 am

cmoon

Postby Jiminy » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:59 am

Perhaps I read it wrong, but I thought the uncut version had an ending that was at least ambiguous - although in a very dark way.

SPOILERS

It was like, "we're not going to tell you they're dead, and we'll show you this island, but you know as well as we do that they don't make it, and even if they do, they're still doomed."

I love that kind of ending - it reminds me of the Romero Dawn of the Dead film (more SPOILERS):

it adds this upbeat kicker to the end when they escape in the helicopter, but it has no fuel and they have nowhere to go. It almost feels like there's hope until you think, oh no, wait, no there isn't.
Jiminy

Tezuka Expert

Postby cmoon » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:02 am

cmoon

Postby Jiminy » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:20 pm

SPOILER: I see where you're coming from there, and I think on a second viewing I may have realised it myself. On the first run-through though, the picture of the island was enough of a shock to make me think they might have made it, even if I almost immediately discounted that.

I still like both interpretations of the ending; but anything more hopeful (such as the edited version) would really run against the flow of the film.
Jiminy

Tezuka Expert

Postby Angelcake » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:01 pm

This may have been brought up earlier (probably at the begining of this thread), but I really REALLY wanna see the Galaxy Express 999 anime film. I remember they used to play it all the time on the Sci-Fi channel, when I was younger.....but now, no more. Which sucks, because it's one of the best franchises in the medium's history.

I love Matsumoto anime. There's something so......romantic and melancholy about it. Even the non sci-fi stuff, like The Cockpit is beautiful. I'd especially love if we could one day get an unaltered version of Space Battleship Yamato here in the States.....though the Star Blazers version is still gorgeous.
Angelcake

Tezuka reader

Postby cmoon » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:50 pm

cmoon

Postby cmoon » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:20 am

Going mainstream here, but:

I recently got hooked on The Avatar. I'm very impressed with all the things I've never seen a US studio do before--especially for TV. If I go on and on about it, I will probably regret it, but I was curious if other folks on the board were enjoying it.

P.S. The homages to Miyazaki are really nice, and surprisingly, the nods to Empire Strikes Back are very refreshing (when has that ever happened?) I've never seen a cartoon for kids where the main character had to unlock all their chakras... :shock:
cmoon

Postby Potato » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:02 am

Katara: Sokka, You're a genius!
Aang: Did the definition of genius change in the last 100 years?

Potato

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby strobe_z » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:11 am

Image - All Life Is Sacred

Follow TezukaInEnglish on and
strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby Potato » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:28 am

;_; strobe you are so damn lucky. I'm still awaiting the end of season 2.

xD What's your favourite character pairing? I say Kataang (Katara + Aang). :]

Edit: Here's one of my favourite quotes:

"Earthbenders! You don't know me, but I know of you. Every child of my water tribe village was rocked to sleep with stories of the brave Earth Kingdom and the courageous Earthbenders who guard its borders. Some of you may think that the Fire Nation has made you powerless. Yes, they have taken away your ability to bend, but they can't take away your courage and it is your courage they should truly fear! Because it runs deeper than any mine you've been forced to dig, any ocean that keeps you far from home. It is the strength of your hearts that make you who you are, hearts that will remain unbroken when all rock and stone has eroded away. The time to fight back is now! I can tell you the Avatar has returned! So remember your courage, Earthbenders, let us fight for our freedom!" - Katara, Imprisoned

Potato

Postby cmoon » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:49 am

Yeah, I just finished season 2. Probably the next disc will be in my mailbox today (due to the magic of netflix.)

I guess we're all going to have to wait til the end of the year to see how they decide to wrap the thing up, but that isn't too long. Totally agree on all the continuity, the importance of characters (so much enjoying what they've done with Zukko) and their willingness to let the story go where it demands (IE a whole episode about Appa? Your darn right!)

Potato: Haven't seen the end of season 2 yet? Look forward to it! Season 2 >>> Season 1! (although both seasons are incredible.)
cmoon

Postby Potato » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:58 am

;_; The ABC was airing it, they'd finished season 1 and then repeated it a few months later. Now we're, like 3 or 4 episodes into season 2 or something. Haven't seen Avatar in AGES.

I miss Seige of the North. Loved that episode.

Potato

PreviousNext

Return to Offtopic