[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - animal abuse in Japan (online petition)

animal abuse in Japan (online petition)

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Postby Metropolisforever » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:49 am

I've witnessed things*, but I don't think I've ever seen a woman trample a cat.

* That creepy woman, who REALLY loves her very small son... too much. :shock:Image
Last edited by Metropolisforever on Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
THIS USER HAS BEEN BANNED.
Metropolisforever

Banned

Postby David » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:59 am

I'm going to keep taking the chance here that people would like to
know more on the topic. I do think that Japan remains enigmatic
in so many ways. Like the Buddhist story of the elephant
and the blind monks, Japan has many aspects and better to take
in more information before solidifying your conclusion.

The treatment of animals, in my experience, offers some clues to understanding
the culture as a whole.

A long standing tradition that still exists today in Japan is dog fighting.
if you are searching on line about you might find it under "Tosa Inu".
Inu means dog, and Tosa is a specific breed of dog kept for fighting purposes.
But Tosa is not the only breed used. There are breeders that go to the US
to look for American breeds of dogs that could also be used.
Some are bred with Japanese dogs - others kept pure. I'm sure they must go to
other countries too.

This, however, is not something hidden away in back alleys
and barn yards. It is something in the open, which claims traditional
Japanese values which keep it going. it is perfectly legal.
http://www.shaku1.com/fighting.htm

They even have ranks for winners akin to that in sumo.
And also dress the animals in trophy wreaths like done in sumo.

I once met a man involved in going to the states to get cheaper
vet supplies for a Tosa Inu group.
He complained to me how difficult it was to get vets
to euthanize dogs which were hurt. I'm sure it was a waste
of their resources to patch together animals that had been "used up".

In spite of what the web sites promoting it will say, gambling is a big part
of dog fighting in Japan. And where there is Japanese gambling there
is also yakuza and political corruption.
While even many Japanese people find this practice disgusting it continues
as much as ever

More to say of course,

David
David

Postby Huscheli » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:25 am

I think you mean this?

Sadly the anime doesn't show much negative stuff of dog battles. More in the opposite.
I did some research about dog fighting in Japan after I've seen the episode where I got this picture from. I got to the same results and was quite confused to read that it is still practiced.

I also think that the anime is far too true how older dogs end up:

Well it my be a little bit unsensible to bring anime into this topic again, but it fit so well.

Edit: The anime is "Ginga Nagareboshi Gin" or "Silver Fang" in the west. The specific episode is
Last edited by Huscheli on Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Postby David » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:13 am

David

Postby cmoon » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:15 pm

"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby Huscheli » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:19 pm

www.arkbark.net is actually quite a good site. The situation of domestic animals in Japan and it's problems is quite good described under "animal welfare".
Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Postby David » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:39 pm

David

Postby Karmi-Sempai » Sun May 27, 2007 1:23 pm

I don't need to read this! As long as it's for the common good, I'll do it! I'm happy to contribute!
I'm not special. I'm just not like you!
Karmi-Sempai

Tezuka Nut

Previous

Return to Offtopic