[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - What non-Tezuka anime/manga do you recommend?

What non-Tezuka anime/manga do you recommend?

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Postby UnluckyLukeGR » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:05 pm

Yeah, you're right. Almost all of the titles I listed don't apply to every Tezuka fan out there. The thread title, as you said, is a bit vague, but what I got out of the topic was seeing what other titles others with whom I share interests enjoyed. For example, I was introduce to Gegege no Kitaro through this forum.

Thanks for the recommendations, CrazyCanuck. I'd heard of Cyborg 009, but not the other titles. They sound interesting.
UnluckyLukeGR

Tezuka Nut

Postby Lamp » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:08 pm

Cyborg 009 is one of my favorite manga series, and I also enjoyed The Skull Man (well, the latest series, I've never seen the one volume original version...but I'm interested in seeing the new anime series of Skull Man), but I didn't recommend them because initially I didn't know how interested other people on this forum would be in them. My recommendations were based more for people who mostly enjoy Tezuka's Buddha/Phoenix/Kirihito/Adolf style works, if that makes any sense.
Lamp

Tezuka reader

Postby Huscheli » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:10 pm

Well I really don't care for cyborg 009. I'm not interested in robots and cyborgs anyway *doesn't like Astro as well* Don't know. Besides Tezuka I'm more the common "manga reader" enjoying stuff like Death Note, Victorian Romance Emma, Fullmetal Alchemist and MPD Psycho. ^^'
Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Postby cmoon » Sun May 06, 2007 1:52 am

Just finished reading the third volume of Monster. This one definitely has something! It is nice to read a comic that isn't outlandish in anyway. Just a good story with good characters and plot!
"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby Huscheli » Sun May 06, 2007 7:39 am

Monster's great, yes. What I found surprising is, that in 18 volumes, there isn't even one bad volume and the story never slacks down (like it does in other series with such lenght).

For me it was also funny to see some German cities I know and visited before in a manga :D
Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Postby Potato » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:26 am

Katara: Sokka, You're a genius!
Aang: Did the definition of genius change in the last 100 years?

Potato

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby putrocca » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:12 pm

- Ada (site founder - TezukaInEnglish.com)
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby dwillems » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:44 pm

I'm new to the board so I'll post my $.02.

I'd recommend Barefoot Gen by Keiji Nakazawa as one of the most moving manga I've ever read. And it shares Tezuka's compassion and horror about War and interaction between human beings better than anything else I've read. It seems to have gotten stuck being published in English at volume 4, but totally recommended.

Planetes by Makoto Yukimura I also found to be great. A good existential manga about trash collectors in space.

I've also been watching the Death Note anime, which is really enjoyable. I think fans of Monster would like it. Though it has more supernatural elements in it. The plot has great twists and turns.

One last one would be Doing Time by Kazuichi Hanawa, about his experiences in prison after being convicted of gun posession. It's both sad and humorous.
dwillems

Tezuka reader

Postby dwillems » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:55 pm

In terms of anime, everything I've seen so far by Satoshi Kon has been fantastic. I recommend Millenium Actress, the anime series Paranoia Agent, and the new movie Paprika.
dwillems

Tezuka reader

Postby maiyeng » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:26 pm

Lamp got to it before me! XD I definietly recommend the "Giant Robo : The Animation" OVA series.
Here's a .
I loved it so much, I even went through the task of hunting down all 7 out of print soundtrack CDs.
.:: ::.
maiyeng

Tezuka reader

Postby Ash » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:37 pm

Giant Robo The Animation is really awesome in a retro grander-than-life way. Hmm, I still have to see the Ginrei Specials...
"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth" - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God
Ash

Tezuka Nut

Postby Jiminy » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:22 am

Jiminy

Tezuka Expert

Postby cmoon » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:31 pm

"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby Ash » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:33 am

"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth" - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God
Ash

Tezuka Nut

Postby Existential Warrior » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:06 am

I'm watching Kaiba right now, and I believe many of you will like it. The anime series is very experimental and artistic...

Here is the opening:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW_ueoa- ... re=related

[EDIT]

So I finished Kaiba, and I highly recommend it. It was one of the most innovative, moving anime I have ever watched. It's not for everyone, due to it's surreal method of story-telling, but it's worth checking out.

It's basically set in a sci-fi future where bodies can "die", but memories remain intact in a small, triangular object. Bodies can be switched at will, and memories erased and switched with happy ones. However, the lower-class do not have this benefit due to small number of bodies; a powerful cloud separates the lower-class from the upper-class, and whoever goes through it, without any protection, loses their memories (e.g., lower-class can't get up with air balloons without memory loss).

This is basically setting up the basic premise; it's not even covering 1/4th of the anime. The main character, Kaiba, wakes up with amnesia, and he eventually winds up traveling among distant planets. About 1/4th of the series is episodic in nature, but explores unique themes revolving around memory and its unique society. Are memories what ultimately makes us? Do we take things for granted? Can we truly escape our suffering through altering our memories (ep. 3).
Existential Warrior

Tezuka reader

PreviousNext

Return to Offtopic