[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - MW live action movie planned

MW live action movie planned

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Postby Recca_Phoenix » Sat May 02, 2009 6:12 am

So it looks like.....
* they're not turning it into total gaysploitation (good)
*they're not skimping on the violence (good)
* they might be turning it into a big action-drama rather than focusing on the dramatic aspects (not so good)
* they're setting it in modern times

My feelings are still mixed, but I have more hope for this one now. :D I'll see it as soon as it comes out here in Japan and let everyone know how it is!
Now translating:
Recca_Phoenix

Tezuka Nut

Postby Huscheli » Sat May 02, 2009 9:53 am

Ha, I just saw that if it's still in cinema after two weeks I can watch it myself! Yesh! XD
Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Postby ancalagon3 » Mon May 18, 2009 2:47 pm

Apparently they are also making TV Drama Special that is going to air on TV on June 30. The drama's story is set several months before the story of the film, and will star 20-year-old Takeru Satō (Kamen Ride Den-O).

He plays Takashi Morioka, a young man who has lost his job and home in the recession. Yūki tricks Takashi into getting involved in a crime to protect the orphanage of his childhood and the person he loves.

I don't know what to think of this. Is it really necessary? :?
ancalagon3

Tezuka reader

Postby Recca_Phoenix » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:33 pm

Going to see it tonight - will post my thoughts ASAP.
Now translating:
Recca_Phoenix

Tezuka Nut

Postby Recca_Phoenix » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:22 am

Went to a free advance screening of MW last night. I posted my "review" on my blog here:

The gist of it is that I was disappointed as both a Tezuka fan and a casual filmgoer. I would love to hear everyone's opinions on the changes in the film, etc. when y'all get a chance to see it!
Now translating:
Recca_Phoenix

Tezuka Nut

Postby Existential Warrior » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:54 pm

Has there ever been a faithful movie adaptation of a comic or manga? I don't think so... Even Akira was terrible in comparison to the manga.

Anyways, thanks for saving me the time. I loved MW, but I don't love unfaithful adaptations with no real merit. Sometimes unfaithful novel adaptations work, in the case of movies like One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest, Blade Runner, and etc. Still... I'd rather keep the novel or comic or manga in its originally intended medium, but it doesn't hurt, I guess... (not gonna go crazy like Moore does over his terrible movie adaptations)
Existential Warrior

Tezuka reader

Postby the donkey » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:17 pm

the donkey

Tezuka reader

Postby Huscheli » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:53 pm

Old Boy is said to be a good adaption, but I never read the comics or saw the movie.

And I reallylike "the Crow", although they changed a lot :D
Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Postby Ash » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:49 pm

I actually kinda liked the movie. Sure, loads of the original story was cut away (most importantly the relation between Garai and Yuuki), but I for one wasn't waiting for a five hour movie. Though half an hour extra to clean up some abrupt scene changes would have been nice.

What was surprising was how little people went to the theater (Ikebukero!) on its first day, though I got a midday screening (with most people probably going at night). Got a poster of Yuuki though.
"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth" - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God
Ash

Tezuka Nut

Postby F-Man » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:19 am

I just saw it and I just have to tell everyone to not believe the ratings on this one, the movie is underrated.

It just surpassed all my expectations, which were neither good nor bad. I watched it first thing after waking up and it's been in my head the whole day. I was already interested in reading the manga, and the movie has raised that interest by 3 times. I've read two negative impressions/reviews so far (latter was by Recca_Phoenix up there) and I have a lot of counter arguments about what they felt didn't work.

I won't go all the way into it, except saying that I felt the gay relationship between Yuki and Gorai was made obvious by one scene, but while still staying enough of a subtext so that you don't think about it more than necessary. And if you do, you'll want to read the manga to get to know better all of those characters, which is precisely a point that I think worked so well about this movie. The characters are so interesting and you care about them that it makes you want to know more. If you've already read the manga, I guess it works as well because you don't need to be shown everything a second time.

The movie started on a high note. That chase scene made me realize how often I see these kinds of thing in American movies, except this time, it was actually well directed and had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. The camera was constantly showing you proper shots and no unnecessary shaking. The cop was a bit overweight but had one hell of a spirit and you felt like he could have continued running after Yuki for quite a while. This was all that was necessary to know about the character. He has passion for his work.

It's funny how much I loved this movie despite being exactly the kind of movie I usually can't stand. I couldn't watch more than half of The International and State of Play, for instance.

What prevented it from being perfect was a few plot holes however. Why did the Americans stop shooting Garai just because he was "obscured by a cliff"? They were in a freaking helicopter! And that ending... Well I guess I could see a few ways it could happen, but I still don't understand why Yuki doesn't kill the Prime Minister if he could've. Are there multiple endings? I've read an impression somewhere that mentioned a completely different ending than the one I've seen. Or maybe they only pretended they saw the movie. Lots of things were wrong about what they said.

Also don't they ever mention the name of the reporter guy who works with Kyoko? He has the exact same curly long hair as some of Tezuka's characters! Godo in Phoenix 2772 and Hyakkimaru in the Dororo anime come to mind. His name's on the official movie site but I don't read Japanese.

So I rate MW my 5th so far, right behind the new Astro Boy movie. But don't worry, it's a much better film than Astro Boy. I just preferred Astro for personal reasons.
I'm on .
F-Man

Tezuka Expert

Previous

Return to Japanese Releases