Tezuka artbook - need info

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Tezuka artbook - need info

Postby strobe_z » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:12 pm

I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about this Tezuka artbook. I've never seen it before, so I'm curious. I was thinking about asking my friend who's going to Japan to pick it up for me, but it looks a bit... risque. So I'm wondering if it's worth the explanation that I'm only interested in it "for the articles"... 8)

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/4894 ... 21?ie=UTF8
strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby putrocca » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:28 pm

I've seen it on ebay several times, but I've never seen it in person. I know it has some Princess Knight art in it. I'm very curious and I tend to like Tezuka's more adult stuff as well as the rest, so if you get it and don't like it I'l happily take it off your hands.
- Ada (site founder - TezukaInEnglish.com)
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby Amrith » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:56 pm

According to several sources, it is an art-book dedicated to Tezuka's women. It's a large vision of feminity by Osamu Tezuka. I don't know what manga are presented inside.
Amrith

Tezuka Expert

Postby mippa » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:05 pm

I've seen several copies at Kinokuniya. It does have some Princess Knight, but I don't know what other famous characters it has...but as stated earlier, it is dedicated to the women of Tezuka World, and there are several provacative poses...
mippa

Tezuka Nut

Postby htom » Mon May 14, 2007 2:58 am

First, a nod of thanks to the thread-starter/administrator for the greeting on my first post here on another topic some weeks back.

I have this book in my collection. It features some 100 color illustrations and perhaps twenty pages of b/w work. It does indeed spotlight the women in Tezuka's body of work. As about 95% is reproduced from the original artwork, it looks as good as it ever will. By that, I mean that it's really easy to appreciate the quality of linework in the b/w work, especially since it is also reproduced in a larger size. The color work doesn't concentrate too much on Tezuka's "adult" works though these benefit from more varied experimentation in color and imagery. Many of the pieces are from "Ribon no Kishi" if any one series can be said to dominate. Only one image from "Phoenix" is included in color, though several of the female characters can be found in the b/w section.

By the way, the cover illustration is probably the standout piece in the collection, and features Queen Sigma, from "Apollo's Song," due next month or so in English from Vertical. Too much to hope for this to be reproduced there as well, I would think. The offical Tezuka site indicates this was the cover for the second part of a two-volume edition from Homesha in 1993, but there it is cropped quite a bit, losing the centered composition...
htom

Return to Japanese Releases