[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Unico ('80s film versions)

Unico ('80s film versions)

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Unico ('80s film versions)

Postby loserita » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:11 am

Even though my current Tezuka obsession is Black Jack, my introduction to him (well before I was conscious of the man's name) and my all-time sentimental faves are the Unico movies from the 1980s. (Well, I was a Hello-Kitty-loving grade-schooler, what do you expect? :wink: )

I recall these airing (in dubbed English, of course) on the Disney Channel around '89-'90, but for years afterward I didn't know what they were called, and could only remember bits and pieces of them. I knew one revolved around a little cat-girl-witch (Katy, in my avatar :3) who ran away from the old crone she lived with and got slipped a magic roofie by a really hot but evil prince (actually a Baron); and the other had a girl whose parents were turned into living puppets. Who were UNGODLY TERRIFYING. I was scared to death of their blocky paper-cutout bodies and kept imagining the same thing happening to my parents (hey, I was an overly imaginative seven-year-old).

Nobody else knew what I was talking about when I mentioned these, so for a long time I began to think I had completely imagined them as well. Fortunately one of my friends remembered the entire scene with Unico and Beezle from the second movie, so I could finally stop thinking myself insane.

Since then I've been prowling the few static fansites for these and reveling in the nostalgia (good GOD, I did not remember Baron DeGhost being so hot! It's like BJ and Kiriko went "FUSION HAAAA!" and combined to make one foxy villain.)

I would give anything for these on DVD. Er, legit DVD, that is. I'm a bit iffy about getting the fanmade stuff on eBay.

Okay, my fangirl rambling is done; anyone else remember watching these?
loserita

Postby jonerik » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:19 am

They do a good job of trying to track down the best sources that are available. I have their "Amazing 3" and "Johnny Sokko" sets, as well as the first "Princess Knight" disc and I can't say as I've ever been disappointed by anything I've bought from them.
jonerik

Tezuka reader

Postby cmoon » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:03 am

Are those dvd-rs?
cmoon

Postby jonerik » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:55 am

jonerik

Tezuka reader

Return to General Tezuka Discussion