[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - MOST IN NEED OF ENGLISH VERSION (publishers please read!)

MOST IN NEED OF ENGLISH VERSION (publishers please read!)

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Postby Mamath » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:54 am

Vampires definitely wasn't finished. But neither was Phoenix. :P I suppose Phoenix is a special case though, given the way it's structured... Still, the first part of Vampires at least is apparently pretty self-contained so even if only that was translated... Better than nothing!
Looking to trade Tezuka gashapon! I have spare Amazing Three (x2), Blackjack (x1) and Princess Knight (series 1 x1) pieces. Looking for the rest. Please PM me if interested!
Mamath

Tezuka reader

Postby Deda » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:08 pm

I always thought Human metamorphosis was very intriguing... I alwasy wanted to read the story of a woman who would do anything in order to get what she wants... if I were to pick another title.... it would be Yakkeppachi no Maria... the idea of an inflatable doll coming to life is pretty interesting too.

of course for English/American reader... I'd say Black Jack and it's good that it has been licensed. I wonder which edition they got.... and which episodes will they get.
Deda

Tezuka Nut

Postby Recca_Phoenix » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:05 pm

Here's some I'm vouching for.

Princess Knight - I have the whole series in the bilingual Kodansha version, but it's impossible to come by outside of Japan. This was the first shoujo manga (it's even mentioned in the liner notes of the English "Revolutionary Girl Utena") and is very important as such. It's also an example of the clear tie between Disney and "manga/anime-style," and would appeal to both manga/anime and Disney fans. This series should definitely be published in the USA...

Jungle Emperor Leo -
1. This had a following back in the day (like Astro Boy, which Dark Horse already picked up)
2. Disney ripped this off (so it connects to the Tezuka copying Disney style - Disney copying Tezuka thing I mentioned earlier)
3. It's cute and kids would buy it...and lots of merchandise
4. It's environmentally conscious! :)

Shintakarajima/New Treasure Island - Dark Horse should pick this up, seeing as they tend to go for the more "vintage-1940s" type Tezuka stories. This is Tezuka's first big manga and is a very important precedent.

Alabaster - Vertical already went for MW and more of Tezuka's serious works, they should go for this one, an important bridge between Rock (Vampires), a kids-story villain, and Yuki (MW), a totally evil "adult" villain.

Ayako, Swallowing the Earth, and Human Metamorphosis
for the same reasons as Alabaster. They are more "adult" Tezuka works.

The Vampires - of course. This is probably my favorite Tezuka series to date (I have all of it in Japanese). It fits in with MW and Alabaster as I said earlier, so Vertical may pick it up. It also seems "retro" enough that Dark Horse might do it also....
Of course there is the problem of it being unfinished...but in that case maybe they can just publish the first story arc. [/b]
Now translating:
Recca_Phoenix

Tezuka Nut

Postby Rocku » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:28 am

"There are demons in my soup. There are monsters in my damn soup."

- Rambling Billy Bob Joe
Rocku

Tezuka Expert

Postby Kuririn » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:28 am

A vote for The Three-Eyed One is a vote for happiness!

Also, I want to read Rainbow Parakeet in English. :(
Kuririn

Tezuka Nut

Postby Manetoys » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:53 pm

Manetoys

Tezuka Veteran

Postby Dr. Jerk » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:39 am

I realize that this thread is just as dead as the rest, but I can't help but feel like voicing my opinion on a title or titles that I would like to see licensed, but realize that it will never happen.

X-Point on the Pacific Isle
For some odd reason, I kinda seem to like the looks of the manga that either feature Shunsaku Ban/Higeoyaji and/or Kenichi as the main character, especially if said title happens to have sci-fi elements. I can't really describe it, but there was something appealing about Lost World and Nextworld, something that also makes X-Point also look appealing. And hey, it also has an Ochanomizu in it. Can't ever get enough of him. I also agree that it would probably be a good title for Dark Horse should they ever decide to license more titles.

...And... that's really about it, I guess. While I agree that more Tezuka works should be licensed, I guess I'm just far too picky in my anime and manga, and that Tezuka is really no exception to that. I suppose I also wouldn't mind giving The Three Eyed One and Don Dracula a try though, if they were ever licensed.

But I think we can all agree that we really need more reprints, particularly of the Astro Boy and Phoenix manga. Why Viz and Dark Horse, wwwhhhhyyyyy...
Dr. Jerk

Tezuka Nut

Postby Shane » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:29 pm

I would kill a man to see an english release of Leo and vampires :twisted: ... ... just sayin :roll:
Hummanuh-Hummanuh-BAMM!!!
Shane

Re: MOST IN NEED OF ENGLISH VERSION (publishers please read!

Postby Bigdog » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:03 am

As a toku fan and curious about Space Giants' origins , I would love to see Ambassador Magma released in the states under the name or as this:
"Ambassador Magma and the Space Giants" alongside a remastered bilingual DVD release with the pilot of the gold painted face on the actor.

As an anime fan, I'd love a retranslation ,if not re-release and remastering of Astro Boy with the stories that were first published in the magazine before they were altered so I can see his artwork evolve from the story's debut to his conclusion of it in the 70's similar to the Phoenix release in Japan. Perhaps maybe research to find the "lost stories" like Astro's little brother. Also, a Leo manga that is released unapologetic-ally in full quality would be neato alongside an English version of the latest Phoenix release which is vibrant . Add also the Jetter Mars anime and manga too.

I would die for a complete redub of the 2003 series with either the original crew or the 2009 crew. Re-release the series with no cuts and promote the helluva of it and release the films to TV/DVD if not a limited release in theaters. in addition, why not bring the first 13 eps of the toku series of Astro Boy , give it a parody dub and MST3K it?

I would love for any title that involve Shunsaku and Kenichi, including the Dr. Thrill series to get a release. In addition, I'd love for some Rock stories as well like his adventures.

The Three Eyed One is another of my choices because it has in my opinion influenced two of my favorite series: Avatar the Last Airbender and Yugioh, I mean the manga.
If you are wondering why I said the former, the way his tattoos (And how the other Avatar incarnations' eyes and existence are from a time before bending became disunited) light up to trigger the Avatar State in a rage that he acts to restore balance and for his beloved ones. Then there is a thread throughout the series of rebirth , gray worldview versus black and white ,redemption and forgiveness alongside Tezuka's philosophy that life is precious that makes the release of this particular Tezuka title compelling. Yugioh is a bit more obvious due to the eye on Yami's head...

I want a release of Cleopatra to the Silver Screen,period or an updated version. Times are far different now and it would draw in the fans of the Charlton Heston film as well as the Spartacus/ROME series. If they redubbed it with the actors of ROME , it would be awesome.

I also want Vampires, its show subbed and Zero Man alongside Alabaster.
Bigdog

Tezuka reader

Re: MOST IN NEED OF ENGLISH VERSION (publishers please read!

Postby Discman » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:19 pm

Here's my late submission:

1. Adventure of Rock
2. Zero Men
3. Microid S
4. Number 7

These stories I think are a must read for those who like Tezuka's theme of two races coming into conflict.

5. The Devil Garon

Garon's made plenty of appearances in Tezuka's works, but what really got me interested in his origins was his fights with Astro Boy and Ambassador Magma. This is a character who can play heroic and villainous roles well and it is a shame to not have his original book translated.

6. Duke Goblin

Duke Goblin is a like a weird chimera combining: Vampires, The Three-Eyed One, and The Devil Garon into one story. The titular Duke Goblin is like Rock Makube if he had Sharaku's psychic powers and I think it would be great to read about another ambitious boy villain.

7. Prime Rose

Prime Rose is another character whose original book I would love translated. I know there is already a movie but it doesn't cover as much of her story as I'd hoped.

8. The Three-Eyed One
This manga would be perfect for those who love Tezuka's shonen manga but would also like a more villainous edge compared to Astro Boy.
Discman

Tezuka reader

Re:

Postby Jeffbert » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:35 pm

Jeffbert

All Tezuka all the time...

Previous

Return to General Tezuka Discussion