[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - MOST IN NEED OF ENGLISH VERSION (publishers please read!)

MOST IN NEED OF ENGLISH VERSION (publishers please read!)

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

MOST IN NEED OF ENGLISH VERSION (publishers please read!)

Postby cmoon » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:47 pm

This is a running list of works by Tezuka considered deemed most in need of an English publication by the members of this forum.

[/color]

Amazing 3 (W3): 1
Ayako: 3
Big X: 2

Captain Ken: 1
The Crater: 1
Don Dracula: 1
Dororo: 1 (licensed by Vertical; release date April 2008)
Human Metamorphosis: 1
I.L.: 1

Midnight: 1
Number 7: 1
Prince Norman: 4
Princess Knight: 1
Rainbow Parakeet: 2

Swallowing the Earth: 2
Three-eyed-one: 1
Under the air: 1
Vampires: 4 :?
White Pilot: 1
X-Point on the South Pacific: 1 (good for Dark horse?)

To simplify matters I would currently like only a list of works you believe should be considered for publication in English (your rationale should probably be included.)

If someone has already nominated the title(s) you were going to list, feel free to mention give it your additional endorsement (I will list the # of endorsements per title.)

Please use this thread to further discuss what does and does not belong in the list.

I am not adding a poll option because of both the limitations and the room for error presented by seeing numbers for a very small sampling. I actually think the list and rationale is far more useful.

:? = titles which have been debated over in this thread.
Last edited by cmoon on Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:35 pm, edited 18 times in total.
"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby cmoon » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:17 pm

And here's my submission to this:

Jungle Emperor Leo (none of you saw this coming):
First fully fleshed out work by Tezuka with many of his major themes and characters present (historical importance). Selling points include the connection to (and controversy) surrounding the Lion King as well as the 60's animated series Kimba (never mind the movie and the other series that have never been issued in the US). Is also family friendly (maybe that's a con), reading like classic children literature (was directly inspired by Disney's Bambi.) Follows the life-long story-arc of one character with a strong message regarding stewardship and the nature of society. My vote for one of the best mangas of all time (gush!)

Very difficult to vote for others I haven't read, but I'll go ahead and throw one in for...
Black Jack:
Long running series with some of Tezuka's most iconic characters and perhaps one of Tezuka's only anti-heroes (at least with his own series.) Lots of anime titles could be sold in conjunction with this. Eh, I'll let others explain why this one's important...

Vampires:
I haven't read it, but it looks like a great selection (though unfinished). The connection to Phoenix and anything with more Rock is welcome. I love it when Tezuka jumps into more adult themes but still keeps his world in the 'fantastic' realm. I don't know if Vampires is among Tezuka's best, but the evident level of creativity has made it among the top titles I'd like to see published.
cmoon

Postby Huscheli » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:10 pm

Black Jack
Well, for me it's the best Tezuka series (just personally), and I also think one with the biggest fandome around the world. I know many who would love an english translation.

Jungle Emperor Leo
As cmoon said, one of Tezukas best early works. And it's also one of his best known works by commoners. So I guess it may be selling well. ("Well" as for Tezuka works)

I'm not sure about others. Vampire is great but since it's unfinished (and the first volume is a somewhat slow beginning), I can't really recommend it without hesistation. (But I love Rock in this work lol)

Maybe "Superbird System"?
It really fits in this classic literature stuff and is only a one shot too. It's also political and social relevant even for today...I guess it would be something for Vertical. ^^
Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Postby cmoon » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:32 am

What is 'superbird system'? And is that a vote for it?
cmoon

Postby UnluckyLukeGR » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:29 am

It's a sci-fi one-shot. Rather than trying to explain it, I'll just attempt to translate the inside cover of the French version because I'm lazy. Sorry for any probable mistakes I'll make.

"Thanks to a substance spread throughout the Earth by an extraterrestrial civilization, the birds have become intelligent. Tired of being oppressed by this inferior breed known as "the humans," they revolt. Humanity is soon reduced to a few thousand individuals, is returned to the stone age and is enslaved by the birds. However, the "bird civilization" does not take the path of peace and harmony that one might hope for."

I haven't had a chance to read it yet (it's been sitting on my bookshelf taunting me), but I've heard great things about it, so I second Huscheli's vote.
UnluckyLukeGR

Tezuka Nut

Postby putrocca » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:10 am

- Ada (site founder - TezukaInEnglish.com)
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby cmoon » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:56 am

cmoon

Postby Huscheli » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:06 pm

Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Postby putrocca » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:00 pm

putrocca

Site Founder

Postby cmoon » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:28 pm

cmoon

Postby Huscheli » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:20 pm

Yep, I would put Tomorrow the birds to his adult work. The artwork is not yet like in Kirihito or Adolf, but it's far from being childish and especially the stories aren't.

This is the french cover:

And just as an add on, Prince Norman vol 3 cover:
Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Postby putrocca » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:24 pm

putrocca

Site Founder

Postby maiyeng » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:02 pm

Black Jack most definitely. I'm quite frustrated that only 2 volumes were translated (with randomly selected stories). And I still can't seem to get the first volume. :shock: Volume 1 seems to be well sought after. But I do agree that more people now are in the know of Tezuka (thanks to Metropolis) and Black Jack then they did a decade ago.

Prince Norman and Tomorrow the Birds sounds intriguing.
I would have liked to vote for Vampires also, but I'm still conflicted about it.
.:: ::.
maiyeng

Tezuka reader

Postby cmoon » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:57 pm

cmoon

Postby maiyeng » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:21 pm

Hmm... Make those endorsements.
And for you cmoon, I add a vote for Leo. Very Happy (I'm surprised that this wasn't translated!)

EDIT: Ah, I just realized I made a vote for everything on the list. @_@

special mod oops: meant to quote you and accidentally edited/destroyed your post, recreated to the best of my ability :oops:
.:: ::.
maiyeng

Tezuka reader

Next

Return to General Tezuka Discussion