[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - MOST IN NEED OF ENGLISH VERSION (publishers please read!)

MOST IN NEED OF ENGLISH VERSION (publishers please read!)

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Postby cmoon » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:50 pm

"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby putrocca » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:55 pm

- Ada (site founder - TezukaInEnglish.com)
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby cmoon » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:06 am

cmoon

Postby Jiminy » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:07 am

Jiminy

Tezuka Expert

Postby BJ4ever » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:41 pm

All the titles listed in first post deserve to be published in English !

- Black Jack and Leo are both classic.

- Prince Norman (1968) is a very good sci-fi tale which can please both mature and young audience.

- Tomorrow the Bird might be the less accessible. But still worth publishing. Actually, i would put it in the last position if i had to prioritize them.

- Vampires is another classic but unfinished (the publication stopped because of financial problems).

Now I would personnally add to the list the following titles :

- Dororo (1967-1968) : Tezuka took inspiration of the main character Hyakimaru to create Black Jack. Thriller title set in warring-state period of Japanese history featuring a guy who has been robbed of 48 of his body parts by the devil. The story depicts his journey to find it.

- Ayako (1972-73) : very dark and adult work. Social drama that depicts the fall of an old family from the end of WWII to the 60's. Tezuka writes about the period between defeat in the war and reconstruction of the economy seen trough the eyes of a girl locked up in a storehouse for 20 years.

- Swallowing the Earth (1968-69) : i have read it last year in french and definitely worth to be translated in English.

- Alabaster (1970-71) also needs to be published.
- MW (1976-1978) too. Both titles depicts men's evil minds.

- Human Metamorphosis (1970-71) : a satirical story depicting human society compared to the insect world, focuses on the life of a devious woman.

- New Treasure Island (1947) for its historical meaning.

- Paper Fortress (1974) for it's autobiographical.

- Big X (1963-66), after the name of a special weapon developed during WWII which gives a boy an iron body. Tezuka tried to realistically depict the terror of the war through this action hero tale.

- Captain Ken (1960-61) : Sci-fi action drama that reminds of the early part of American history when people moved to the West seeking gold. The setting of the story is Mars in the future.

- X-Point on the South Pacific (1953). It might interest Dark Horse after Metropolis, Lost world and Next world. This work is a human science fiction story satirizing war in which a man who used to be a gangster tries to stop the testing of the most dangerous weapon known, at the risk of his own life.

- Number 7 (1961-63) : science fiction story featuring seven soldiers fighting against invaders from outer space. The setting is in the future after a nuclear war.

- White Pilot (1961-62) : science fiction war story in which twin brothers fight each other in a twist of fate.

If Norman is published, i think those two (Number 7 and White Pilot) should be as well. Tezuka used multiple central characters in their stories.

At last, Tezuka has never been as good as when writing short stories. Here is my selection :

- The Crater (1969-70) : a series of short complete stories ranging in genre from suspense to mystery and horror.

- Under the air (1968-70) : Tezuka dealt with various themes ranging from science fiction to thriller and horror in this series of short complete stories. It focuses on the greed and despair of people living under the air of a tiny planet called Earth.
BJ4ever

Tezuka reader

Postby cmoon » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:49 pm

I've added those to the list with the obvious exception of MW which is coming out in another month or so.
cmoon

Postby putrocca » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:43 pm

Actually, if you review thoroughly, there have been 2 votes for Alabaster already, and 2 for Swallowing the Earth.

I also vote for Ayako absolutely - it's like Adolf, extremely powerful, not to be missed.
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby cmoon » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:54 pm

cmoon

Postby strobe_z » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:28 pm

strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby putrocca » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:17 am

Swallowing the Earth is about Zephyrus, aka. the infamous Black Queen from Black Jack. She's in a very sensual role, as a seductress with complex globe-spanning schemes of mass destruction. Lots of focus on sexual manipulation, but also on transformation and disguise and the psychological effects of people being able to change their appearance.

In style/content/themes I'd say it's extremely close to Vampires, except that it's actually finished. (And doesn't have Rock in it, though since Zephyrus as Black Queen is Rock's wife I like to think she got the ideas from him... heh.)

How can Ayako only have two votes? It's one of the most mature and psychologically powerful Tezuka series I've ever read, like a cross between Adolf and Kirihito but focusing on the aftereffects of WWII on traditional Japanese family structure. It's perfect for Vertical! An unmissable series.
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby cmoon » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:56 pm

cmoon

Postby putrocca » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:08 am

putrocca

Site Founder

Postby putrocca » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:52 am

putrocca

Site Founder

Postby cmoon » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:16 pm

cmoon

Postby strobe_z » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:37 pm

I have to say that I believe Ayako will be published by Vertical sooner or later. It fits in perfectly with the rest of their Tezuka Line, a real no-brainer in my opinon.

My vote though goes to Alabaster... mainly because it's arguably the darkest of Tezuka's work (something which will be hard to believe after reading MW), but also selfishly because it's not been published in any language I can speak (or read). :lol:
strobe_z

Webmaster

PreviousNext

Return to General Tezuka Discussion