[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Playing cards

Playing cards

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Playing cards

Postby Kuririn » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:47 pm

Does anyone else own a set of the Tezuka Osamu World playing cards? I picked one up on Yahoo Auctions and they arrived today. What gorgeous designs! Unfortunately, the card descriptions are beyond my reading level, but the mini-manga included is quite funny (especially taking in context a certain face card which has been vandalized by Lamp, Hamegg and Skunk). Unfortunately, right now I can only use them for Solitaire. :P

My question to other owners is...who exactly is on the eight of hearts? I suspect it's Shunsaku Ban but can't be sure. If you know, please tell me. ;)

Everyone else: if you ever see a set of these anywhere, pick them up!! They may be expensive for trump cards but they're REALLY nice!
Image "Or the moment
when you know it's over and the nothing which you
have to say is falling all around you, lavishly,
pouring its heart out."
-Don McKay
Kuririn

Tezuka Nut

Postby cmoon » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:53 pm

I feel like this has been discussed before, but couldn't find the thread. Regardless, someone here has them. In fact, now that you mention it, I remember seeing pictures of them. I seem to recall the set not being 100% hoyle (like 5 aces or something.)

I play cards enough, I wish I had a nice tezuka set.
"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby Kuririn » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:59 pm

Yes...Lamp, Hamegg and Skunk in the little manga seemed to be angry that Rock was getting a face card and they weren't...so they "modified" his card. (And Black Jack's jack of clubs) So there are four aces of spades. :roll:

I don't play cards very often...but I may start!
Image "Or the moment
when you know it's over and the nothing which you
have to say is falling all around you, lavishly,
pouring its heart out."
-Don McKay
Kuririn

Tezuka Nut

Postby Rocku » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:35 pm

I think they're more for show than for actually playing, but I suppose you could play with them.

I ordered my pair from the Asian Art Museum when they were showing "Tezuka: The Marvel of Manga." They are beautiful cards with crisp designs, and the mini manga was a very nice surprise. For those who don't know by now, I have a very unhealthy obsession with Skunk that will probably get me into big trouble one day, so having my own Skunk-ace (to an extent....lol) makes me very happy.

As for that mysterious character, I have no idea. There are actually a few characters on the cards that I'm confused about.

Cmoon I think this is the thread:

http://forums.tezukainenglish.com/viewt ... sc&start=0

The cards are mentioned on the second page, along with some pictures.
"There are demons in my soup. There are monsters in my damn soup."

- Rambling Billy Bob Joe
Rocku

Tezuka Expert

Postby cmoon » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:33 pm

Regarding Skunk, is he an actual Tezuka character? I only remember him from the 80's Astro cartoon and nowhere else. As discussed before, the 80's Astro was not an actual Tezuka creation (though I'm sure he had some control/supervision/input). That said, I wonder if Skunk was actually created by Tezuka or someone else?
cmoon

Postby strobe_z » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:26 pm

Oh, Skunk was created by Tezuka alright. He appears in the Astro Boy manga for sure. He also makes some guest appearances in Black Jack and Rainbow Parakeet.

http://en.tezuka.co.jp/studio/character/c012/c012.html
Image - All Life Is Sacred

Follow TezukaInEnglish on and
strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby Rocku » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:21 pm

And inspired by Richard Widmark as well 8) From the 1947 movie "Kiss of Death."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Widmark

I don't want to get off topic so I'll stop here.

And strobe_z? LOVE your hinotori sig 8)
"There are demons in my soup. There are monsters in my damn soup."

- Rambling Billy Bob Joe
Rocku

Tezuka Expert

Postby cmoon » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:48 am

Hah! I love Kiss of Death!

The appearance of Skunk must have slipped past me when reading the manga, but to be honest, I've probably only read 17 of the 23 or so volumes, so maybe I just haven't read that one. Hmmm...
cmoon

Return to General Tezuka Discussion