[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - mushi and tezuka productions

mushi and tezuka productions

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

mushi and tezuka productions

Postby cmoon » Tue May 09, 2006 8:32 pm

Does anyone have a list of the animated work completed by Tezuka? It seems so much to ask for classic anime to come into print (though Right Stuf has surely led the way here in the US (and I'm sure to great financial loss!)). I would love to be able to see some of his phoenix movies for instance.

Definitely something very inventive in Tezuka's animation. The use of color in Kimba for instance is very original. I'd love to see more of what he completed.
cmoon

Postby putrocca » Tue May 09, 2006 11:08 pm

This list contains most his anime and alot of his manga:

This page links to pages for all the anime, but they're not all on one page:

- Ada (site founder - TezukaInEnglish.com)
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby cmoon » Wed May 10, 2006 1:11 am

I suppose it is time to hit the fansub/bootlet route, though its a bit depressing. Been eating up Craig Anderson's 'bootlegs' of 'Leo the Lion' which I find absolutely amazing (color, sound and edited footage restored!)

Perhaps some of these other films have received similar treatment?
cmoon

Postby putrocca » Wed May 10, 2006 2:05 am

Ebay will supply bootlegs of a number of series, including Triton of the Sea, Three-Eyed One, plus raw versions of Fumoon, Seabed Express, Angel in Hell, 20th Century Last Miracle and others. They're of poor quality most of the time, but at least they exist, and sometimes have subtitles in (poor quality) English. It's better, of course, to get legal discs, even if you have to pay import prices, but they often don't have subtitles - sometimes you just have to get both to understand it.

If you're looking for new stuff like the new BJ TV series or Phoenix TV I can help you find fansubs of those, since they're not licensed yet.
Last edited by putrocca on Wed May 10, 2006 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby David » Wed May 10, 2006 7:51 am

There are a couple things in Japan that people might not know about.

1. There is a dvd which collects the mostly wordless
experimental anime work of Tezuka.
(38min/1962)(tales of a street corner)
(3min/1962)(male)
(6min/1964)(Memory)
(8min/1964) (mermaid)
(4min/1965)(drop)
(39min/1966)(pictures at an exhibition)
(4min/1968)(genesis)
(6min/1984)(jumping)
(6min/1985)(broken down film)
(4min/1987)(push)
(9min/1987)(muramasa)
(30min/1987)(legend of the forest)
(13sec/1988) (self portrait)

2. And there a dvd with The Green Cat and Rain Boy.
(Rain Boy has option for English dub)
http://en.tezuka.co.jp/anime/sakuhin/oa/oa001.html

3. Another DVD has Lun Flies into the Wind and Yamataro Comes Back
(Yamataro has option for English dub)
http://en.tezuka.co.jp/anime/sakuhin/oa/oa006.html

Mermaid blows my socks off every time I watch it,.

David
David

Postby cmoon » Wed May 10, 2006 10:45 am

cmoon

Postby David » Wed May 10, 2006 12:40 pm

here is an Amazon Japan link

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B000 ... e&n=561958

David
David

Postby putrocca » Wed May 10, 2006 12:40 pm

I recently ordered that short film collection DVD - it just arrived and I haven't watched it yet. It's region 2, of course, so you need a region 2 dvd player - www.jlist.com sells them for about $75. I got the disc from LuckyLucid, my usual Japanese Tezuka supplier:

"New Animation Series, Tezuka Osamu Jikken Animation Sakuhin Shuu".
When you buy it from me, it is 6300 JPY + Shipping Charge to your country.

You can reach him at: luckylucid at yahoo dot co dot jp. He takes paypal.
That's a lot to pay for one DVD, but very worth it given the contents.
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby David » Wed May 10, 2006 12:43 pm

I was lucky to get mine on Yahoo Japan for 3800 yen.
I think actually Amazon Japan shows some cheap ones
in their used store.

David
David

Postby putrocca » Wed May 10, 2006 12:54 pm

Amazon Japan does ship cheaper ones, but I've had some bad luck with their used discs being scratched or damaged in the past, so for major acquisitions I use Lucid. He's also really good at finding cheap used manga.

Interestingly, if you go to AnimeNewsNetwork's top 10 anime lists they have a list of the top ten most underrated anime, calculated by taking the average rating the show gets divided by the number of people on their site who say they've seen it, so the shows with high ratings but few views dominate the list. #1 is Jumping. Also on the list are Broken Down Film, the Black Jack 4 miracles of life, and Unico in the Island of Wonder. 4 out of 10 are Tezuka titles.

putrocca

Site Founder

Postby David » Wed May 10, 2006 1:00 pm

Not all of them are actually wordless.

When I look at the list again I think just 2
of them are not wordless and have
a regular amount of dialogue;

(3min/1962)(male)
(4min/1968)(genesis)

and this one
(4min/1987)(push)
has just some dialogue near the end.

Several of them have won awards at international festivals.

Broken Down film is a hoot.
Mermaid makes me cry.

Tezuka's great themes can be seen at full force in these tiny films.

Love, purity, rage against fascism, creativity, celebration
of life, and a tweak on the nose to the goofyness of humanity.

If these films were all I ever ever knew of Tezuka,
for these film shorts alone, I would be a blessed human being.

David
David

Postby cmoon » Wed May 10, 2006 5:46 pm

Thanks! Those short films are ones I've been interested in seeing for sometime but I assumed they were unavailable.
cmoon

Postby cmoon » Wed May 24, 2006 1:06 am

cmoon

Postby mippa » Wed May 24, 2006 12:51 pm

mippa

Tezuka Nut

Postby putrocca » Wed May 24, 2006 12:57 pm

putrocca

Site Founder

Return to General Tezuka Discussion