[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - The Ambassador Magma OVA

The Ambassador Magma OVA

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

The Ambassador Magma OVA

Postby Fauna » Sun May 11, 2008 4:32 pm

Yesterday, I went to a collector's store in town and found they were selling a video cassette of of Ambassador Magma, you know, the one from 1993 where the only Tezuka character was Magma. The tape has episodes 1-3, I'm not sure if it's in subtitles or dubbed, and the whole tape is $11.99 Canadian.
I was wondering...should I buy this or not?
Fauna

Tezuka Nut

Postby Rocku » Sun May 11, 2008 10:49 pm

I'd buy it, but this would be after I threw up and peed myself from the excitment. You're lucky! I've only been able to find it on cdjapan, and it's too expensive. Also, Saphire and Skunk are in it. :wink:
"There are demons in my soup. There are monsters in my damn soup."

- Rambling Billy Bob Joe
Rocku

Tezuka Expert

Postby Fauna » Mon May 12, 2008 2:24 am

They are?! Well that's damn cool at least! Would you know of which of the 13 episodes they were in?
But anyhoo, I guess I should buy the tape :D Only problem is that I've just found a lot of negative reviews, so that's kind of putting me off.
Fauna

Tezuka Nut

Postby Rocku » Mon May 12, 2008 4:47 am

"There are demons in my soup. There are monsters in my damn soup."

- Rambling Billy Bob Joe
Rocku

Tezuka Expert

Postby Fauna » Mon May 12, 2008 1:59 pm

I just found the OVA opening on Youtube, and sure enough...
Fauna

Tezuka Nut

Postby Jeffbert » Mon May 12, 2008 3:13 pm

I bought the entire 6 tape set from Amazon Sellers. It is uncensored, has all the explicit language & the same content as the DVD, which, BTW, had English Audio.

Skunk is at his most grotesque in this series.

This crosses Superman's Daily Planet with Spiderman's Daily Bugle.
Sapphire plays Lois Lane, except as a photographer, & there is a Jimmy Olsen too. Instead of Peary White, there is a JJJ-type editor. :lol:

As I write this there are 2 volumes (tapes) of which only 1 copy is available of each!

Laser Disc:

2 vols, each only 1 copy available!

This has a Terminator-like robot, gooey tentacled creatures, Skunk is one, action, brief nudity, all the good stuff. 8)

I watched the entire thing on both DVD (not my own, though) & VHS. I recommend it.
Jeffbert

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby Fauna » Sun May 18, 2008 9:04 pm

Okay...the day I went back to the shop, they had a massive sale on tapes, so I got it for half price. Now that I've watched the whole thing through, I'll give my word on the OVA.

It's unpleasant.

Sure, it would be if there were a few more Tezuka characters around regularly, maybe if the characters looked a bit more like Tezuka's style, but the first three episodes aren't that enjoyable. In fact, a few bits are a depressing or disturbing. And within three episodes we cover what could have been done in half the time. It probably gets better on, but it sure ain't fun right now. And the dubbing...oh, the dubbing...it's certainly no "Magic User's Club". The dub is TERRIBLE. The only characters whose voices didn't make me want to maim someone were Mamoru and his father. Sometimes Miki was okay.
In one episode where all Goa does is send a mean-ass dog after Mamoru & his mom, somebody had to voice the dog. There was a part where the dog was locked in a train car and gnawing at a door handle and going "AAUFBAGGABAWWFF" and it cracked me up.
On a bright note, the opening song is great, and the ending credits have pictures of Tezuka's original manga. And the tape was half price.

PICTURES!
Goa's the kind of villain who sits in his spaceship while sending out random villains...
...Like when an alien disguised as Miki's dad comes to Mamoru's house, then the alien turns into a mutant octopus and carries her off like the start of some wacko tentacle rape anime.

Olga from "Space Firebird 2772" showed up, and that was awesome.

I think Pinoco ran through a crowd scene, but she was really tiny.

I guess Sapphire doesn't come along until later, but I saw this newswoman that looked like an older version of her. That was my thrill.

One character I liked (for some ungraspable reason) was Goa's assistant. I don't remember its name or gender, but I call it "Turd Jellyfish".

My score on this OVA: ***/*****
Had the fuel, knew the way, but broke down shortly after

And sorry Rocku, no Skunk :(
Fauna

Tezuka Nut

Postby Jeffbert » Sun May 18, 2008 9:33 pm

Actually that is not Olga, but

Mol. She is Magma's wife, and could be considered Gam's mother.
Jeffbert

Postby Fauna » Sun May 18, 2008 9:41 pm

Oh. Sorry about that, I know now that she and just look similar.

Wait, Magma's wife is about 1/8th his size. :shock:
Fauna

Tezuka Nut

Postby Jeffbert » Mon May 19, 2008 1:26 am

All 3, Magma, Mol, & Gam, appear in Astroboy 2003, in a Superman/Moses-type story. :lol: However, Gam is female in this story.
Jeffbert

Postby Fauna » Mon May 19, 2008 2:14 am

Cool, which episode number was that?

BTW, since you have the rest of the Magma series, were there any other Tezuka characters cameoing besides Sapphire & Skunk?
Fauna

Tezuka Nut

Postby Jeffbert » Mon May 19, 2008 3:02 am

38, Battle Bot.
Jeffbert

Postby Fauna » Mon May 19, 2008 3:18 am

Oh, I remember that one. The idea of Emily actually being Gum, a boy, is disturbing. :shock:
Fauna

Tezuka Nut

Postby Jeffbert » Mon May 19, 2008 5:06 am

I would not say that Emily was a boy, but rather the child of Magma & Mol. Pipi (yes, it is pronounced "pee-pee") also had both male & female roles.

Image & Image
Pipiko (female) & Pippy (male) are both portrayed by

Pipi also portays a robotic merboy in the 80s Astroboy.
Jeffbert

Postby Fauna » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:02 am

Fauna

Tezuka Nut

Next

Return to General Tezuka Discussion