[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Have you folks notice that Sapphire looks like Audrey Hepbur

Have you folks notice that Sapphire looks like Audrey Hepbur

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Postby Tetsu Deinonychus » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:37 am

Oh that's quite true!

Isn't it interesting that Betty Boop and Mickey Mouse were the visual inspiration for a comic about a robot superhero?

Anyway, I'm not denying Disney's influence, but I am saying not to count out the Fleisher influence.

Storywise, the inspiration for Tetsuwan Atom was Pinocchio and Superman.
Disney didn't invent the story of Pinocchio but they pretty much defined him in animation.
And, likewise, Fleisher didn't create Superman, but they pretty much defined him in animation (most modern versions of Superman have more in common with the 30s cartoons than the original comics).

Sidenote: Let's not forget Fleisher's Superman cartoons were probably the first true action/adventure animation. And where would anime be without action stories?

Again, he drew from both Disney and Fleisher.

Of course, both Disney (and Ub Iwerks, Disney's top artist), and the Fleisher Bros. modeled their style after Otto Messmer (creator and animator of Felix the Cat), and I would be shocked and amazed if Tezuka wasn't aware of Messmer himself, so Otto Messmer was probably also a role model to Tezuka.

I do wonder if Tezuka was a fan of Winsor McCay, however.
Tetsu Deinonychus

Tezuka Nut

Postby TempuraTokei » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:13 pm

O>O I have no idea who those people are, but I'll just take your word for it. >3<
If pictures were alive, then they'd be ghosts!

-Black Jack
TempuraTokei

Tezuka reader

Postby Manetoys » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:29 pm

I'm pretty sure he DID see some Felix The Cat. It's interesting how everyone manages to mold their own style based on someone else's. Makes me feel a little better about so many of my anthro characters looking like something out of Sonic the hedgehog :lol:
Manetoys

Tezuka Veteran

Postby Kevin » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:18 pm

From all the elements I've seen in Tezuka's work, I am confident he experienced every single animator / cartoonist of his time and before his time.

^_^
New E-Library! http://thelibrary.ninjanezumi.com/
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby Manetoys » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:39 am

Manetoys

Tezuka Veteran

Postby Princess Sapphire » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:10 pm

Osamu Tezuka is Japan's greatest story teller
Princess Sapphire

Tezuka Veteran