[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Finally saw Marine Express

Finally saw Marine Express

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Finally saw Marine Express

Postby Manetoys » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:51 pm

I managed to get a hold of a download of Marine Express and just finished watching it. There was a few things about it I wanted to mention and get off my chest

1. Wow, this was a real smorgasbord of Tezuka cameos, wasn't it? Tezuka himself showed up at the end!
2. I thought it was a decent story, if not a little demanding of your attention seeing as how it has like, 3 or 4 separate plots that end up coming together at the end
3. We got tos ee Princess Sapphire not only as an adult but wearing very little. I mean, there was a scene where Sapphire falls to the ground and we get a full view of her bottom :shock: What can I say? I'm a perv that enjoys his fanservice XD :oops: But even that couldn't pull me away from one simple fact that came up in the which is...
4. THEY KILLED OFF ATOM/ADAM!!! *big ball of tears* I know Tezuka saw his characters as actors and in his mind, Atom just sort of, went back to his trailer when it was all done getting ready for "Shin Tetsuwan Atom" but just the same, when I figured out where it was going with him, I actually got a little upset. The fact that there was a girl in the movie who had fallen for him made it even worse for me :cry:
So, all in all, I thought it was a decent movie. Even if I didn't care for what happened to Atom at the end and personally know a few huge Atom fans I'll make sure avoid this for that simple reason
Manetoys

Tezuka Veteran

Postby Rocku » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:06 pm

I thought that movie was complete chaos. I liked it to a point, but after they somehow went back through time i was like, okay enough...
"There are demons in my soup. There are monsters in my damn soup."

- Rambling Billy Bob Joe
Rocku

Tezuka Expert

Postby Manetoys » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:17 pm

LOL Same here. I thought "When Tezuka jumps the shark" I thought the same thing when it happened in my GBA Astro Boy game too. But on the upside, it did give us an adult Sapphire wearing very little :oops:
Manetoys

Tezuka Veteran

Postby Ataru Moroboshi » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:18 am

Count 3 on that "jump the shark". The film has a very good start, with lots of action, groovy music and Skunk turned into some kind of Jean-Claude Van Damme. But halfway through it, they travel to the past and then starts some kind of surrealistic adventure with sexy Sapphire "transforming" into Don Dracula, Astro behaving like a Terminator at the end (running without face and resisting all attacks), Black Jack preferring to live in the past (AND LEAVING POOR PINOKO ALONE FOR THE REST OF HER LIFE. I think Pinoko can grow, so who is gonna change her external parts now?), a flying Leo (look, Wilbur, I'm flyiiiiing!), and some things more I can't remember.
Ataru Moroboshi

Tezuka Nut

Postby Jeffbert » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:56 pm

I too, thought it was weird, but also quite funny; at Higeoyaji' expense, that is.
Jeffbert

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby Xenops » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:48 am

Just watched it...

I am not considering Black Jack's actions in this film to be canon in regards to the manga:

1) since when does BJ follow/stalk till the patient pays his bills? Certainly not someone who can't afford the doctor's services.

2) I wondered if his head was on straight when he showed *no* concern that the train was about to explode.

3) Carving the amount owed on the rock; I got the impression from the manga that BJ saw money as a means, not as an end. I can't picture him sitting on a pile of money giggling with glee, but with this anime it's quite possible. Or maybe sleeping on the money, like Smaug. Or maybe turning into a dragon because he loved money so much, like Eustace.

4) Leaving Pinoko behind. I thought he cared about her more than his "privacy". In the manga his privacy was long gone as soon as he operated on her.

So I refuse to accept that Tezuka was in his right mind when he made this film. : P
Xenops

Tezuka Nut

Postby Kevin » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:53 pm

Isn't Black Jack the kind of Doctor who'd punch a patient in the jaw in order to knock them out? Didn't he also once perform unnecessary surgery?

Stalking really doesn't seem that far of a jump for that kind of doctor.

:shock:

:wink:
New E-Library! http://thelibrary.ninjanezumi.com/
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Jeffbert » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:07 pm

I think several actors were out of character in this film. BTW I really liked that wide screen TV, way back in '79. :lol:
Jeffbert

Re: Finally saw Marine Express

Postby F-Man » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:55 pm

I'm on .
F-Man

Tezuka Expert

Postby Xenops » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:23 am

Hey,

does anyone know if Tezuka provides the voice of his character in Marine Express? I don't see why he wouldn't.
Xenops

Tezuka Nut

Postby Jeffbert » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:43 pm

Only the main characters' voice actors were listed on the web page for this film.
Jeffbert

Return to General Tezuka Discussion