[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Tezuka Showings at the Smithsonian

Tezuka Showings at the Smithsonian

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Tezuka Showings at the Smithsonian

Postby KimbaWLion » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:28 pm

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet:

The Freer Gallery at the Smithsonian is having a Tezuka festival from now until December 13. This includes the showing of 4 classic TV episodes, subtitled in English: Princess Knight, Vampire, Marvelous Melmo, and The Three-Eyed One.

Info here:
KimbaWLion

Tezuka reader

Re: Tezuka Showings at the Smithsonian

Postby KimbaWLion » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:12 pm

KimbaWLion

Tezuka reader

Postby cmoon » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:44 am

"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby KimbaWLion » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:17 am

Well, I went, and I'm glad I did. It wasn't exactly an elaborate presentation; somebody stepped on stage and said that "Vampire" was cancelled because of "reasons beyond our control" and then they played the first episodes of each of the other three series from a DVD.

I had never seen a complete episode of any of these before. I enjoyed Princess Knight and would like to see the whole series. I really enjoyed Marvelous Melmo--it was more complex than I expected--and I would really like to see how the rest of the series played.

I didn't care for The Three-Eyed One at all. All that stuff about demons and destroying cities just bores me. The animation quality was, I thought, below the level of the other two series as well. But at least I got to see it.

Subtitles were done by the Australian Caption Centre, and very well done IMO.

Why is it that subtitled TV episodes and even the 1966 Kimba movie turn up at public showings but no one makes them available on DVD?
KimbaWLion

Tezuka reader

Postby KimbaWLion » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:23 am

Coming up this Sunday at the Smithsonian:

Tezuka and the History of Anime
Sunday, December 13, 2 pm
In person: Yoshihiro Shimizu, General Manager, Tezuka Productions

Join Yoshihiro Shimizu in a journey through the history of Japanese anime, with a special emphasis on Tezuka's influence. Shimizu speaks from experience: a creative consultant for the new Astro Boy movie, he has been working for Tezuka Productions since the 1960s.

http://www.asia.si.edu/film/tezuka/
KimbaWLion

Tezuka reader

Postby mokonafan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:00 pm

Wait... what!?!?!?
This sounds like it was so epic!!
I wish I got to see it... :|
....(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ ☆Wanna-be mermaid since 1994☆ (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧....
mokonafan

Tezuka reader

Return to General Tezuka Discussion