[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Triton of the Sea

Triton of the Sea

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Triton of the Sea

Postby jonerik » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:24 pm

jonerik

Tezuka reader

Postby putrocca » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:47 pm

- Ada (site founder - TezukaInEnglish.com)
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby jonerik » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:11 pm

I don't live in Boston, specifically. I live in Wollaston (which is part of Quincy) and work in Cambridge. So "Boston" is close enough, I suppose.

Y'know, I actually have the Ayakashi series (downloaded it based on word of mouth), but I've only watched a little of it so far. The artwork is very unusual. I also have one of the recent Black Jack series and the movie, but it'd be interesting to see the other stuff sometime.

About the rarest Tezuka material I have is the American version (what's left of it) of "Amazing 3," the first few eps of the American version of "Princess Knight," the first ten or so Japanese eps of "Princess Knight" (downloaded - no subtitles) and about three episodes of the Japanese version of "Marvelous Melmo" (also downloaded - no subtitles). I haven't gotten around to watching those last two yet, though. My DVD player can play just about anything except Windows Media and Quicktime files, so I need to burn them to a DVD and just make the time to sit down and watch them. I've always been kind of curious about "Marvelous Melmo."

I'll take a look at the Vericon site when I have a chance. I work near Harvard anyway, so it'd be easy to attend.

Yeah, let me know when you get back. We can get together at some point then.
jonerik

Tezuka reader

Postby putrocca » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:18 pm

I actually live in Cambridge, not Boston proper.

The Ayakashi series is in three different story arcs all completely separate and with different art and direction. The first two are OK but the last one, spanning episodes 9-11, is absolutely fantastic, and quite unique. It was just licensed yesterday for US release, BTW, and will be put out on DVD by Geneon this spring.

I'd love to watch some Princess Knight with you when I get back in August since I've only seen 2 episodes of it, and I haven't seen any of Melmo. I also have a bunch of Tezuka stuff of my own that I haven't watched yet which we could watch together, like Blue Blink, 20th Century Last Miracle, the old live action Phoenix movie, the "Tezuka Osamu Story I Am Son Goku" movie, the Astro Boy the Brave in Space movie, the Phoenix Takarazuka musical, etc. (most of these without subtitles, of course), and I'll happily show/lend you things I've already seen as well - manga too. And if there are any other forum users in the area you'd be welcome too, of course.
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby Amrith » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Amrith

Tezuka Expert

Postby putrocca » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:51 pm

Once I've seen it I'll let you know, but I haven't seen it yet, so for now all I know about it is the amazing picture:

[/img]

There's a VCD of it on ebay right now, though it's not subtitled (mine isn't either), and it's not US ebay. What ebay is that? Ebay.se?

I can't find it on Amazon.jp or CDJapan - can you?
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby jonerik » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:06 pm

I just bid on a copy on US eBay right now; a VCD, interestingly enough. No English subtitles, but I understand enough Japanese to probably get the gist of things, and considering the price (89 cents!) and the fact that shipping from California will probably only cost a couple of bucks, who cares?!
jonerik

Tezuka reader

Postby jonerik » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:09 pm

DVD version available here very cheaply. No English, but this price is right: http://cgi.ebay.com/Tezuka-Osamu-Collec ... dZViewItem
jonerik

Tezuka reader

Postby putrocca » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:23 pm

FYI I'm familiar with that California VCD seller, I got some stuff from him too a while back. His discs have Japanese audio in the left speaker and Cantonese audio in the right, so to hear the Japanese you have to watch it on a machine with stereo that lets you disable one speaker. It also has Cantonese subtitles which you can't turn off. He also tends to overcharge on shipping, but only a little bit so it's still affordable. The same seller has Marine Express, Bagi and at least one other Tezuka film so while you're buying from him you may want to ask about those, Marine Express especially, which I think he calls Express in Seabed.

I believe the DVD doesn't have the Cantonese audio issue.

Someday I'm going to save up to get the higher quality Japanese DVDs of the good ones, Marine Express especially. Someday...

- Ada
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby jonerik » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:18 pm

Incidentally, the subtitles on the
jonerik

Tezuka reader

Postby cmoon » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:40 am

"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby jonerik » Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:49 pm

jonerik

Tezuka reader