[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Show your Tezuka's collection

Show your Tezuka's collection

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Re: Show your Tezuka's collection

Postby Marc » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:50 am

Hope it's not a huge deal to revive this thread, seeing that the last post was made three years ago. :P

As for manga, I have Ode to Kirihito, MW (both being the big Vertical omnibus editions, or whatever), Apollo's Song v. 1, Black Jack 1-8 and then 10-17, Nextworld volumes 1 and 2 and Astro Boy volumes 3 and 4 by Darkhorse, Phoenix 2, 7, and 8 and Black Jack: Two Fisted Surgeon by Viz, and I also have a little Black Jack image museum that's in Japanese.

Currently volume 9 of Black Jack is on its way, and I intend on getting Dororo, Apollo's song volume 2, and Adolf in the future--hopefully soon. I also have the Art of Osamu Tezuka, and Manga: Sixty Years of Japanese Comics by Paul Gravett (which isn't actually completely about Tezuka, but it does have a very nice picture of Astro Boy on the cover, and Tezuka's mentioned in virtually every chapter, lol).

Mostly, though, I actively collect figures. I have a set of tiny figures based on Metropolis which I mostly bought for Rock. Of those he's the only one that's able to stand on his own, sadly! Anyway here's a picture of Kenichi with my Banpresto Black Jack:

Rock and Tima came as well, though I can't find any photos of either of them on this computer. I know I haven't photographed Tima because she doesn't stand on her own, and neither does Kenichi, really--he's leaning on BJ up in that photo.

Here's a better picture of the Banpresto Black Jack:

He also came with a little surgery kit. I'm especially fond of this one because he's good for making humorous photos, especially with the butterknife-like scalpel, heheh.

I also have this larger Black Jack figure that was from a Sega prize machine:

This guy doesn't photograph too well, since his face is lowered. But it is accurately painted--he's got brown skin on his patch, unlike the blue on Banpresto BJ. I really like this one for the head sculpt. His coat is removable as well, though honestly he looks kinda dumb without it, haha! I also have one of those vinyl Moderno Black Jack figures, though I can't find any photos of it on my computer.

Finally, my favorite in my collection, the ZC World OVA Black Jack figure. I take tons of photos of this guy but here's a couple of my favorites for the moment:

I just kinda like the juxtaposition of Black Jack and that shark.

I like this one because I managed to hide what's holding his coat open like that, haha. That took a lot of effort and I'd pose him like that on my shelf if I wasn't so worried that the paperclip would leave a crease on his coat or something.

There are some more photos on my blog if you want to see. :D
Marc

Tezuka reader

Postby Ametrine » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:30 am

Wow! Everyone has such nice collections. That OVA Black Jack figure looks really cool.

My tiny collection:
Astro Boy, 2009 film on DVD and Madman's 1980s DVD boxset.
Naoki Urasawa's Pluto.
Princess Knight (Vertical).
Rock Boukenki (The Complete Works).

I haven't had Rock Boukenki very long but I enjoy it a lot.
Ametrine

Tezuka reader

Postby volpino » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:18 am

Lots of Tezuka manga in English, Spanish, French and Italian.
Wait, there's an intruder! xD

I need another bookcase... D:
volpino

Postby F-Man » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:04 am

Here are some pictures from almost a year ago that I forgot to post here:

I'm on .
F-Man

Tezuka Expert

Postby Whitelion » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:34 am

Oh my gosh F-man, all that manga..must have cost you a fortune! 8D

My collection as of now:
Kimba dvd Mini-set (Episodes 1-26)
90's Kimba dub volumes 1-5
Leo the Lion volumes 1-3(terrible dvd's :c)
New Adventures of Kimba volumes 1-3
Kimba plush
Jungle Emperor Leo
Astro Boy 2009
Astro Boy 2003 volume 1
Astro Boy tezuka moderno figure
Tezuka Moderno Kimba Santa Hat
Black Jack volumes 1-3 (3 is hardback)
Phoenix volumes 2, 7 and 8
Metropolis DVD
Princess Knight volume 1
Art of Osamu Tezuka: God of Manga by Helen McCarthy
Future Additions (as in I just bought it or it's shipping): Fantastic adventures of Unico, Lyra plush

It's not much, but it's growing! ^^ I'll have a picture when I get a new camera, mine was recently killed in action. :I
Whitelion

Tezuka reader

Postby F-Man » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:11 am

I'm on .
F-Man

Tezuka Expert

Postby bobojungle » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:48 am

My Tezuka collection is still fairly small but it’s steadily growing. So far, I mostly own Tezuka manga such as Vertical’s releases of Dororo. I also own all of Urasawa’s Pluto. I don’t have any group pictures of all the Tezuka things I own because some of them are at my apartment for school.

However, over the summer, I was able to get a fan-made Jetter Mars T-Shirt and a volume of the Shigeto Ikehara Jetter Mars manga. As a big Jetter Mars fan, I’m pretty happy that I was able to get them without any damages. I’m going to share some images of them(I already posted some of these on my Tumblr).

Some scans

Since the art of Shigeto Ikehara’s Jetter Mars was really good, it was hard to narrow down which scan I should show in this thread.
bobojungle

Tezuka reader

Postby Mamango » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:55 am

I have Astro Boy english volume's 1,2,3,4,6, and 8
Next World volume 1
Atom Cat
Barbara
Jungle Emperor Leo Jippi English Comics
Lost World
Metropolis
Mysterious Underground Men
Twin Knights
Phoenix: A Tale Of The Future
Astro Boy 1980 Box Set
Unico [Blu-ray]
Unico manga
Captain Ken volume 1
Ludwig B volume 1
Black Jack Infection, seizure, trauma, parasite
Clockwork Apple
Astro Boy Greatest Astro Adventures 1980 dvd
Astro Boy PlayStation 2 Game based on the 2003 series
Phoenix: Volume 3 Yamato/Space
The Book of Human Insects HC
Apollo's Song, Part One
Black Jack Volume 3, Special Edition HC
Ode To Kirihito complete edition
Swallowing The Earth
Last edited by Mamango on Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:09 am, edited 7 times in total.
Mamango

Tezuka reader

Postby Moonlit Flower » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:28 am

@F-Man

Wow... You have soo many Tezuka stuff!

Sadly, I have very few. QAQ

I only own these two things:

Astro boy T-Shirt
Astro boy Omega Factor

I still want to own some Black Jack Merchandise, but now days, I'm interested in getting my hands on Detective Conan and Acid Black Cherry Merchandise.
Moonlit Flower

Postby Marc » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:01 am

Guess I'll post an update, since my collection's significantly grown since I last posted! My shelf barely has any space on it now. :D

Top row: Dororo Omnibus, MW, Ode to Kirihito, Swallowing the Earth, Barbara, The Book of Human Insects, Apollo's Song 1 & 2, The Mysterious Underground Men, Ayako, Adolf: Days of Infamy, Message to Adolf 1 & 2
Days of Infamy was an impulse buy; though Vertical's editions are far superior, there was an essay about editing Adolf in the beginning of the book and I just had to have it, lol.

Middle row: Triton of the Sea 1 & 2, Buddha 1 - 8, Phoenix 2 - 5, 7 - 12, Astro Boy 3 & 4, Metropolis, Nextworld 1 & 2, Lost World, Princess Knight 1 & 2, The Twin Knights
Also featured: The Black Jack and Metropolis!Rock figures I showed off in an earlier post

Bottom row: Black Jack (VIZ volumes 1 & 2, Vertical volumes 1 - 17, all three hardcovers), Black Jack complete works ed. vol. 9, Black Jack Illustration Museum, Black Jack Aoki Mirai, Konnichiwa, Chippo-kun!, Jungle Emperor Leo bilingual ed., Unico, Atomcat
The only reason I have the VIZ copies of Black Jack is because I'm an incurable completionist when it comes to that series. Plus, the translation is slightly different and that's kinda cool to see.

There's some other stuff here but the important ones are, of course: The Art of Osamu Tezuka, Osamu Tezuka Exhibition Catalogue, and I'd also count that manga history book since Tezuka's mentioned in practically every single chapter. :P

Not pictured: Kenichi and Tima from Metropolis tiny figures, Black Jack prize figure (in an earlier post), SD Moderno Black Jack, ZC World Black Jack and Kiriko (BJ was also in an earlier post), and a weird bootleggy Black Jack based off of the Hot Toys BJ figure (the head is real, the body is Frankenstein'd). I also own a couple of shirts--one with the Phoenix, the other with BJ and Kiriko. (Can you guess what my favorite Tezuka series is?)

Soon enough I'll be getting Captain Ken, Ludwig B, Alabaster, and Crime and Punishment. I'm also still slightly hoping that The Crater arrives, but that's some SERIOUSLY wishful thinking at this point. ;) Ah well.
Marc

Tezuka reader

Postby strobe_z » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:35 pm

Hey Marc, would you mind posting some pics of the Tezuka Exhibition Catalogue. My Tezuka collection is on par with F-Man's and includes everything released in English (aside from the early Black Jack from Viz), everything released in French that wasn't already in English when it first came out, everything in Korean that I don't have in either English or French, and a bunch of Japanese stuff... Mainly the original versions of many of his later works. I also have all the books that have been released about Tezuka... But I don't have that Exhibition Catalogue and I've been thinking about it.

Is there much in English in it? I've never seen it in person, so I've been kinda wavering on if it's worth pursuing or not. So any help you can provide would be much appreciated. ;)
Image - All Life Is Sacred

Follow TezukaInEnglish on and
strobe_z

Webmaster

Postby Marc » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:49 am

Hi Strobe, absolutely! This post is gonna be pretty long if only because of the sizes of the images.

First, here's a size comparison, because this thing is easily one of the biggest books I own:

The first few pages are the original art in full-color. I particularly like these because they show where Tezuka pasted dialogue or made corrections to his art.

Here's the table of contents, too:

There are also some big spreads for his major works, like this one from Vampires.

One of my favorite things is that the larger images that are scanned directly from his work sometimes reveal corrections--if you look closely at the soldier fellow in the right page, you can see that Tezuka redrew him entirely and just pasted the new drawing over the old one:

For his lesser-known work the pages are smaller, and sadly the explanatory text around them isn't translated at all. This is my major complaint about the book, since it wouldn't have taken much to just translate these sections:

Most of the essays are printed in Japanese first, then in English. Longer ones that take up multiple pages are printed separately, rather than on the same page like this one:

In the very back there are also scans of the covers from his earlier work, I think all from his akahon days. I REALLY wish they'd bothered to print these in color!

Also in the back there's also the chronology, which looks like it's all his manga in the order it was published, including individual chapters. That's all in Japanese, unfortunately, but since it's just the titles I don't think it would be too difficult to translate.

My copy was USD 60 with free shipping, and personally I think it was worth that. I've seen a couple pop up on eBay for the same price since then, too, if you do decide to seek it out. I hope this helped!

I also have to say that I'm absolutely in love with your collection--I'm always tempted to buy the French versions despite being unable to read the language if only because they publish some really beautiful versions of his work.
Marc

Tezuka reader

Postby phap » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:17 am

Thanks for sharing this.
phap

Tezuka reader

Previous

Return to General Tezuka Discussion