[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - The Walt Disney of Japan.

The Walt Disney of Japan.

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

The Walt Disney of Japan.

Postby Metropolisforever » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:42 pm

When most people think of Tezuka, they think of happy, carefree robots and lions prancing through flowers.

In fact, I read a (parental) review of the Metropolis film in which they said that Tezuka is well-known for drawing children's manga, and that Metropolis was more "mature" :lol:

This is not true.

I do not think that Tezuka is the Walt Disney of Japan anymore, because of his VERY mature works.

I think that Fujiko F. Fujio is the real "Walt Disney of Japan". Even though, he worked with Fujiko Fujio (A). So, they're like the "Walt Disneys" of Japan.

What do you think?
THIS USER HAS BEEN BANNED.
Metropolisforever

Banned

Postby cmoon » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:50 pm

It isn't a very accurate title anyway, but I think it is often given to him also because of his heavy influence on both illustration and animation.
"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby Metropolisforever » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:54 pm

Walt Disney had a few mature works, but nothing like Tezuka's.

Disney had a puberty film, called "The Story of Menstruation", and he also had an anti-Nazi film. Snopes.com has a great list of Disney urban legends.
THIS USER HAS BEEN BANNED.
Metropolisforever

Banned

Postby Karmi-Sempai » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:08 pm

You know, Tezuka wa said to have that title but Hayao Miyazaki took it away. Besides, Tezuka suits better with the title "The Godfather of Anime".
I'm not special. I'm just not like you!
Karmi-Sempai

Tezuka Nut

Postby Princess Sapphire » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:58 am

Osamu Tezuka is Japan's greatest story teller
Princess Sapphire

Tezuka Veteran

Postby Kevin » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:02 am

New E-Library! http://thelibrary.ninjanezumi.com/
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby Kuririn » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:51 pm

Kuririn

Tezuka Nut

Postby cmoon » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:46 pm

"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby David » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:55 am

David

Postby Kevin » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:19 am

New E-Library! http://thelibrary.ninjanezumi.com/
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Jeffbert » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:58 am

Jeffbert

Postby Tetsu Deinonychus » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:39 am

Tetsu Deinonychus

Tezuka Nut

Postby Recca_Phoenix » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:18 pm

I agree somewhat with the label "the Walt Disney of Japan" but.... I feel like Tezuka did so much more in more fields than Disney. He jump-started manga into new worlds, founding or working in virtually every genre AND did something similar for the world of anime to an extent. Disney did something similar with animation, yes, bringing it up to the status of a more legit art form and coming up with more tech. innovations, longer stories, etc. but his influence as far as comics.....is nowhere near Tezuka's. Disney also did not have the genre diversity of Tezuka (although if you consider all his live-action features and tv shows and the Disney properties.....)
Both creators have similarities in the merchandising sense, although Disney World/Land/whatever in its multiple incarnations makes the Tezuka museum look like the county fair ^^;;
Disney's works are also standalone.
In short.... the label has its drawbacks but it works for conveying the general idea....and if it gets Disney fans to look at Tezuka stuff, great!. I'm sure Tezuka would have been amused (and probably flattered) by it. A similar case - Shozo Makino (1900s-1920s Japanese film director) was thrilled by his Western-given nickname of "The D.W. Griffith of Japan."
Now translating:
Recca_Phoenix

Tezuka Nut

Postby Manetoys » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:38 am

Manetoys

Tezuka Veteran

Return to General Tezuka Discussion