[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - What was Hamegg's most common name spelling?

What was Hamegg's most common name spelling?

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

What was Hamegg's most common name spelling?

Postby Dr. Jerk » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:11 pm

What was the most common spelling of Hamegg's name in the English manga releases? I kinda need to know for something I'm working on... His name has kinda always alternated between "Hamegg" and "Ham Egg", and maybe other spelling variations, and I'm just trying to figure out which one of them is the most common spelling.

I'd prefer spellings from English manga releases, but I also wouldn't mind if spellings from anime releases or from other languages...

Thank you.
Dr. Jerk

Tezuka Nut

Postby madamluna » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:53 pm

HUFF HUFF A HAMEGG THREAD, I CAME AS FAST AS I COULD

English manga reference (Astro Boy vol. 7):

This is the only official English-language example I can find atm. He shows up in BJ a bunch of times, Metropolis, Nextworld, etc., but he's under a different name in almost every instance. This is the only one I can think of where he's actually called Hamegg or Ham Egg.

I have a couple more Japanese references, though:

(Storyboards from Astro Boy 1980s where his name is given as "Ham Egg," with interpunct)

(Tezuka's notes, where his name is given as both "Ham Egg" AND "Hamegg." oh)

(Star System cast listing, fifth from the top on the left side, right under Acetylene Lamp. "Hamegg," no interpunct)

And fan-translated stuff tends to veer more towards "Ham Egg," I think? In twopioneers' translation of Angel Gunfighter it's given that way, at least.
Last edited by madamluna on Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Japan is an island nation in East Asia. Located in the Pacific Ocean, it was invented when Osamu Tezuka (lit "The Godfather") created anime." -
madamluna

Tezuka reader

Postby Jeffbert » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:52 pm

In the subtitles to 1980s English (American) DVD set the girl Kathy calls him 'HamEgg.' I thought the mafia don also used his name, but do not see it among the frames I captured.
Jeffbert

All Tezuka all the time...

Re: What was Hamegg's most common name spelling?

Postby Manetoys » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:13 am

Does Hamegg creep anyone else out? I mean in that probably lures children to his run down van with candy way?
Just sayin'...
Manetoys

Tezuka Veteran

Re: What was Hamegg's most common name spelling?

Postby madamluna » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:35 am

Why Manetoys, that is preposterous! What would possibly make you think that--

"Japan is an island nation in East Asia. Located in the Pacific Ocean, it was invented when Osamu Tezuka (lit "The Godfather") created anime." -
madamluna

Tezuka reader

Return to General Tezuka Discussion