[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - My mom's comments on Tezuka

My mom's comments on Tezuka

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

My mom's comments on Tezuka

Postby Manetoys » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:12 am

I was watching Phoenix. (The 2004 version I believe) and my mom commented that Tezuka "Wouldn't know a happy ending if it bite him in the face." That hit me kinda hard and I couldn't help but think, "Damn, she's right. Tezuka stuff can be a real downer" and it made me wonder why I'm so into his stuff since I'm not normally into tragic stories like this. It dawned on me that I think I'm attracted more by his characters and art style more than his actual stories.
Your thoughts?
Manetoys

Tezuka Veteran

Re: My mom's comments on Tezuka

Postby Jeffbert » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:53 am

While I like happy endings, I also enjoy good stories whose characters compel my empathy or at least I identify with them. Owning the B&W MIGHTY ATOM 193 episodes on disc, I have seen more tragic endings than those who have only seen the English dubbed episodes. I think that tragic endings alone are depressing, but given a positive message in those endings makes a difference. :mrgreen:
Jeffbert

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby AprilSeven » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:15 pm

I know what you mean, Manetoys - I recently watched the English subbed "Metropolis" that is on Crackle. Incredible story, but also NOT exactly a "feel good film." Likewise with Astro/Atom, which I feel very well acquainted . . . BUT it seems that with his stories/characters, that there is always an underlying, burning hopefullness. There are also such compellingly wonderful characters (like Ochanomizu or Atom) who you become REALLY connected to - perhaps because they DON'T always get a happy ending, and in that way, they are more realistic and memorable.

I'd like to see/read Phoenix because it seems to be one of his best-loved works. Hopefully I can locate it somewhere online (and I'll certainly add it to my collection when I can).
AprilSeven

Tezuka reader

Postby F-Man » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:12 am

Just remember folks - the best adaptation of Hi no Tori is the trilogy of films from 1986. But thankfully, all the different anime adaptations cover different chapters, never overlapping one another.

It was the look of Tezuka's characters that made me a fan immediately, and to seek out more of his works after | first watched Metropolis, but I was extremely lucky to find that he also turned out to be this "god of manga" and that his stories match my tastes perfectly. From the Shakespearian tragedy often present, to the hard-core science fiction concepts, to the jarring mix of cute and violent, and of course, the great messages about life itself.
I'm on .
F-Man

Tezuka Expert

Postby strobe_z » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:37 am

Image - All Life Is Sacred

Follow TezukaInEnglish on and
strobe_z

Webmaster

Return to General Tezuka Discussion