[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Tezuka Characters in Magma Taishi

Tezuka Characters in Magma Taishi

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Tezuka Characters in Magma Taishi

Postby Toshio Tenma » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:01 pm

So, I got curious about Magma Taishi after learning that Reno was actually Mamoru (the main human character of the series).
Then, I decided to take a look at Magma Taishi OVA and I found that girl in the introduction:
I that Sapphire?
I think the hair give it away.
Last edited by Toshio Tenma on Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toshio Tenma

Tezuka reader

Re: Is that Sapphire?

Postby Jeffbert » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:51 pm

Yes it is; & the Knight's insignia on the back of her jacket makes it clear.
Jeffbert

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby Toshio Tenma » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:43 am

Last edited by Toshio Tenma on Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toshio Tenma

Tezuka reader

Postby F-Man » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:00 am

I'm on .
F-Man

Tezuka Expert

Re: Tezuka Characters in Magma Taishi

Postby Toshio Tenma » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:17 am

I'll admit that I'm wrong, about Toge...
I just saw a official group pic.
The marks fooled me.

Black Jack and Pinoko:

Wonder 3:
Last edited by Toshio Tenma on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toshio Tenma

Tezuka reader

Postby Marc » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:40 am

Marc

Tezuka reader

Postby Toshio Tenma » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:35 pm

In that scene he was upset about Sayaka and Sekita who were arguing in vain.
Lamp appeared mainly as a member of the resitance group, in Magma Taishi he turned the Editor Chief from the journal which Mamoru's father works.
Apparently, he was replaced by a fake person (alien who replace kidnapped humans).
Toshio Tenma

Tezuka reader

Postby Jeffbert » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:43 am

i do not agree that this guy is Lamp; while he does bear a certain resemblance to him, it is my opinion that he is or, at least is modeled of Peter Parker's boss/nemesis, J.Jonah Jameson. There are more than a few similarities between the overall characters / chemistry of this version of Magma & The Amazing Spider Man. The newspaper editor who is always hassling the hapless reporters & photographers, may be all I can recall now, but I have the Australian DVD set, & it has English dubs. Back when Atoman was around, he & I watched DVDs together. He had a ton of region 2 DVDs :D, though he had only a small screened region free player. :cry: Anyway, this was one series we watched in its entirety.

Anyway, there are also characters that resemble a few from Superman; 1 seems like Jimmy Olson; Sapphire seems to be a cross between Lois Lane & a female version of P. Parker. She is too often becoming endangered by her pursuit of a story or pictures, & needing rescue. :mrgreen:
Jeffbert

Postby Toshio Tenma » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:04 pm

Here is the 3 versions of Mamoru with Reno (as a extra).

Note that Reno is Mamoru with a different hair color.
I think it was a good idea in order to differ him better from Shinichi.

Gam appears briefly in the Tezuka Special featuring other Tezuka-Star characters:

Also, Magma fights Black Garon in the final volume:

Black Garon kidnap Mamoru:

Black Garon in a tokusatsu (just a extra):
Toshio Tenma

Tezuka reader

Postby Jeffbert » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:26 am

Thanks for that comparison, Toshio Tenma; I had not noticed the fact that Rino = Mamoru, & I routinely check the Tezuka website's character pages, though not very often.
Jeffbert

Postby Toshio Tenma » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:49 am

These "guys" (yes, I know who "they" are, lol) also appears in Magma Taishi manga at times:

Here is a proof that Reno/Rino is Mamoru:

Note the antennae from his desguise, it's actually a updated version of Gam.
Also, pay attention in Mamoru and Gam's eye colors (OVA) and compare with both Reno and his desguise.
Unfortunatelly, I could not find reliable colored pictures of the original manga characters of Magma Taishi.

Humorously, Gam is younger and smaller than Mamoru in the Tokusatsu:

He is supposed to be a perfect double for Mamoru and he was even shown posing as him in the manga, despite the obvious antennae instead of ears, guess it would be difficult to make camera tricks with the same actor appearing at same time with different costumes in the tokusatsu.

Here is a close-up of Gam in the OVA:

In the OVA, Gam could even transform into Mamoru as seem in his first appearance and he is also able to change between human ears and antennae.

Knowing Magma Taishi, you may figure why Reno's desguise have a antennae.

Here is the versions of Magma (Magma is not reffered by name in the 2003 series, but it's obvious that is him due the golden complexion and the antennae):

In the Tokusatsu they could not make a golden make-up for the actor who played Magma, so they had to use a mask for the suit.

There is a suit actor dressed as Magma in the Mighty Atom 1980 series, but I'll show it separatelly.
Also, there is a doll of Magma which carry a sword in one of the episodes which I'll show other time.

Note:
Emily is NOT Gam, after all he was already used as a desguise for Reno/Rino.
I believe she is no one other than Chocola from Don Dracula.
Toshio Tenma

Tezuka reader

Postby Jeffbert » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:38 pm

Hmm, I wonder about that ("Emily is NOT Gam"); I think it would help to have portraits of Emily, Rino, & Chocola in similar poses. I do not think there is any real obstacle to an actor playing different roles in different episodes, or even the same episode. I think it is only natural to equate Emily with Gam, seeing the child appears with its parents. Pipi appears in both male & female versions, so, why not Gam?
Jeffbert

Postby Toshio Tenma » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:34 pm

Toshio Tenma

Tezuka reader

Postby Jeffbert » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:10 pm

While it is true that Uran was Tenma's child in BJ, it does not necessarily mean that Emily Gam, though it may indeed be true that they are not one & the same. You do a good job of creating side by side portraits, Toshio, so, why not make one showing Emily, Gam, & Rino in similar poses.
Jeffbert

Postby Toshio Tenma » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:30 pm

Toshio Tenma

Tezuka reader

Next

Return to General Tezuka Discussion