[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Who's finished BUDDHA?

Who's finished BUDDHA?

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Postby cmoon » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:19 pm

cmoon

About Yuki and Devadatta

Postby Irina » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:39 pm

I've been doing a little research on Devadatta. In traditional art, he's the one figure in Buddhist lore who is traditionally portrayed as being swallowed by the earth and pulled down to hell. When that is compared with the imagery in MW, it yields some very striking parallels, and some striking differenes. After all, it isn't Yuki who fears hell in MW.

As for the biography, Tezuka invented a fair amount of the motivations and backstories. For example, Ananda was Siddhartha's cousin, who grew up wtih him and was devoted to him. Bimbisara (played by Rock - which continues to get my brain going in circles) was an actual historical figure of the times, and what happened to him is pretty much as portrayed, minus the prophecy, which is a pretty key piece.
Irina

Tezuka reader

Re: About Yuki and Devadatta

Postby putrocca » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:01 pm

- Ada (site founder - TezukaInEnglish.com)
putrocca

Site Founder

Postby Atoman » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:49 am

Hey all, I too have read Buddha and loved it. I had read On the Road and the Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac which had Buddhist themes to them, so I wanted to learn about the life of Buddha, but couldn't find a Buddhist bible so when I learned that Tezuka made a manga about him I thought that's probably the closest thing to a bible about buddha I'll find.

What I'd like to know is which of the characters Buddha iteracted with were real and which were fictional? I know his family is real, but what of his little ball-headed phsycic friend or Tatta, who was one of my favorites?

Ohh, wasn't Buddha as a child addorable? He looked like Astro with a Buddha haircut. :D :lol:
Atoman

Previous

Return to General Tezuka Discussion