[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tezuka In English Discussion Forums • View topic - Who's your favorite Tezuka character?

Who's your favorite Tezuka character?

Moderators: strobe_z, putrocca

Who's your favorite Tezuka character?

Astro Boy (Atom)
18%
Sharaku
4%
Rock
8%
Kimba (Leo)
8%
Higeoyaji (Shunsaku Ban / Mustachio)
12%
Dr. Honma (Saruta)
2%
Dr. Ochanomizu
No votes
Sapphire
8%
Black Jack
35%
Rainbow Parakeet
6%

Total votes : 51

Postby Rukawagf » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:53 pm

Strobe and I are obviously working hard to bring BJ in English right now ;P

I do agree Harlock and BJ are similar, but at the same time, not.

I know more BJ fanboys than girls. This place is the FIRST time I found fangirls for BJ.

Most ppl I meet who are BJ fans are professors in universities (usually in biology department lol ) All of them so far, were men.

I talked it over with strobe that I might write an essay on BJ and his popularity. To keep it short, BJ is epitome of a Tragic hero from any Victorian Romance novels, Shakespeare tragic heroes and any shoujo manga all put together, which makes the girls fall for him easily.

I can only write from a point of view of a girl. But I do know for a fact that all the BJ fans i met were all guys and they really REALLY like him a lot. I guess I can ask why they like him for you if you wish? o.o;

Oh and incidentally, my fav characters are Sapphire, BJ and Rainbow Parakeet so far :P Probably might add Roku to the list
Rukawagf

Tezuka Nut

Postby cmoon » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:15 pm

Yes, please write something up. That said, things have gone all sluggish on the Leo essay I've been working on. Wish everything could just happen when I wanted it to.

And no need to go to too much work to defend which gender is fond of Black Jack, it was just a question in the back of my mind...
"I'm in my own head now, and it's where I should be" --Snitter
cmoon

Postby Huscheli » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:37 pm

Even if there were 90% girls who like BJ - I always say just read and love what YOU like. Nothing else matters. :D
Huscheli

Tezuka Veteran

Postby Rukawagf » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:46 pm

Rukawagf

Tezuka Nut

Postby Tetsu Deinonychus » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:48 pm

I know the general concensus around here is that he's too much of a "goody two-shoes" but that's why I like him. I don't think being a total nice-guy makes him bland at all.

Other favs:

Higeoyaji

Dr. Tenma

Dr. Ochanomizu

Does Tima count? (I guess if you condider her a version of Michy)

Pero (as he appears in astroboy as a dog-turned-cyborg, but I liked his Metropolis role too.)

Tezuka himself.
Tetsu Deinonychus

Tezuka Nut

Postby Jeffbert » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:07 am

Although Leo (or Lune) & Atom are very different in that one is a creature while the other is a machine, they are eesentially both the same character. As a Cub, the lions have the same ideals as Atom: everybody can live together in peace, leopards and lambs, humans and robots, etc. Leo never out grows his childhood (or childish) ideals. Atom cannot grow, period. not so much physically, but he never loses his idealism. :P
Jeffbert

All Tezuka all the time...

Postby cmoon » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:15 am

I think Astro and Kimba are essentially the same character.

I DO NOT think Astro and Leo are the same character. It is true that their ideology at times may seem similiar, but Leo's over time must become a compromise because he is indeed leader and his decisions will directly cost or save lives. I also feel that Asto still remains essentially a super hero (among my favorite), while Leo is clearly not a super hero. He possesses no secret powers and tends to lose a lot

Certainly both come from the same root, but ultimately Astro is able to live a more ideological existence and he is not so often overcome by his own physical frailties.

Anyway, the reason I am so ready to argue this is because I feel that Kimba IS Astroboy, and that very much bothers me. In the manga I feel they are definitely separate characters.

Edit: I should also add that in Leo vs. Kimba play very different roles I think. NBC allowed Kimba to be an animal super hero, and I only think we rarely see how Tezuka escaped that by a complete viewing of the series (and doing a lot of 'reading between the lines'.) Leo on the other hand might as well be called 'Jungle Community' with community in large letters. The theme here is really on the evolution of a society (oh so very slowly) through the leadership of wave after wave of genetically enhanced white lions--if one in this line should fail, then the whole community is doomed.

In this context, it is Panja who is the actual hero--the one brave enough to set off on his own and take all he'd learned and use it not for human sake but to make a utopia on earth. Leo himself is but a slice in this continuum on a path that Panja has set, and Lune continues. This is altogether a different them than Astro/Atom and we see throughout how Leo must compromise idealism for a whole.

Eh anyway, I hope I made this more clear how Leo (at least the manga version) is not the same as Astro.
cmoon

Postby Jeffbert » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:29 am

Jeffbert

Postby cmoon » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:56 pm

cmoon

Postby Kevin » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:49 pm

New E-Library! http://thelibrary.ninjanezumi.com/
Check out my bookshelf!

Kevin

Postby Jeffbert » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:03 am